2 2
Soude

WingSuit Design

Hi
I'm student of aviation college and I want to design a wingsuit as a project
I will so pleasure if there is any body to do this project
I need some information about WS that I can't find them in articles
1. I need some real pictures for one WS from different angle

2. Is there anybody know about aerodynamic design of WS?
Airfoil number?
Pitching moment of airfoil?

3. What's your opinion of I want to change the classic design of WS and new suit look like "Horten H O 229"?
Is it a good idea?

Design one in CAD or actually build one? Wingsuits are complicated, require specialized machinery to make, and are very tedious and time consuming to sew. You're not going to be able to make any worthwhile wingsuit without access to specialized equipment you likely don't have access to. Even with it, you wont know all the techniques and trade secrets to actually cut and sew it together.

Edited by 20kN
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 20kN said:

Design one in CAD or actually build one? Wingsuits are complicated, require specialized machinery to make, and are very tedious and time consuming to sew. You're not going to be able to make any worthwhile wingsuit without access to specialized equipment you likely don't have access to. Even with it, you wont know all the techniques and trade secrets to actually cut and sew it together.

Thank you

No, I want to design one in CAD

And do some test on it on wind tunnel and other.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:25 AM, Soude said:

new suit look like "Horten H O 229"?
Is it a good idea?

image.png.6c79c4e6b29203cce7b8a91733619236.png

Where is @gisellemartins ;) 

Soude, there was a long discussion on this forum about 7 years ago about if it is possible to design wingsuits with large enough wings to allow soaring (like a hang glider). The answer is it is not possible for many reasons. 

You can search for "JetMan" to see a person flying under a rigid wing.

• Like 1

Soude you might well design one in CAD but you still have to actually build it your going to test in a wind tunnel. Also wind tunnel testing will not give you all the answers, human body shapes vary and you would also need an understanding of what you want the suit for, all rounder, acro, speed, glide? All have different characteristics, it will be very difficult if you have no skydiving understanding to design a viable suit from scratch, safety is a huge part of the design. Good luck. 

On 12/20/2019 at 2:23 PM, verticalflyer said:

Soude you might well design one in CAD but you still have to actually build it your going to test in a wind tunnel. Also wind tunnel testing will not give you all the answers, human body shapes vary and you would also need an understanding of what you want the suit for, all rounder, acro, speed, glide? All have different characteristics, it will be very difficult if you have no skydiving understanding to design a viable suit from scratch, safety is a huge part of the design. Good luck. 

Well, my collage supports me to build it as model and tests it in wind tunnel

And I and my body are my role model

I want to design a Wingsuit Based on Flight Distance Criterion

19 hours ago, verticalflyer said:

Soude how good are you at stitching and accurately cutting wing profiles. Good luck and post what you build, would be great to see end product.

I have spoken to a tailor about sewing, who is swing parachutes
U have I can do it best
I will be happy to publish my results.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:58 AM, SethInMI said:

image.png.6c79c4e6b29203cce7b8a91733619236.png

Where is @gisellemartins ;) 

Soude, there was a long discussion on this forum about 7 years ago about if it is possible to design wingsuits with large enough wings to allow soaring (like a hang glider). The answer is it is not possible for many reasons. 

You can search for "JetMan" to see a person flying under a rigid wing.

There's a name that I haven't heard in a long time.  What a nut job she was.

As I said back in 2011 (or whenever that was), the issue here is induced drag.  Unless you add a rigid frame, your arms won't be able to hold the wing in this shape for flight.  And once you add a rigid frame, it's not a wingsuit, it's... something else.

I am working on a wingsuit project and I need someone to make a video for me of its different parts.
I'm a little confused because of various explanations I read in articles. They helped a lot but now I have a lot more questions and need to see it more detailed and also someone with experience to explain it to me 
I'll be so grateful if you could help me

2 hours ago, Soude said:

I am working on a wingsuit project and I need someone to make a video for me of its different parts.
I'm a little confused because of various explanations I read in articles. They helped a lot but now I have a lot more questions and need to see it more detailed and also someone with experience to explain it to me 
I'll be so grateful if you could help me

I'll part with my Squirrel Funk wingsuit for 600.00 US dollars. Feel free to discover ALL the secrets, right before your eyes!  It's still VERY air worthy by the way... ;) 

On 12/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, Soude said:

Hi
I'm student of aviation college and I want to design a wingsuit as a project
I will so pleasure if there is any body to do this project
I need some information about WS that I can't find them in articles
1. I need some real pictures for one WS from different angle

2. Is there anybody know about aerodynamic design of WS?
Airfoil number?
Pitching moment of airfoil?

3. What's your opinion of I want to change the classic design of WS and new suit look like "Horten H O 229"?
Is it a good idea?

Sounds like a fun project to dive into. My knowledge of wingsuit design is very limited (I only fly them ;) ), but a friend of mine is doing his own tracksuits and wingsuits in his garage and then basejumping/flying them himself... with no actual aviation education. So for a motivated individual willing to learn, it is not impossible as some people try to make it look... Even more so doable if it's a student project not a commercial one, where I assume no one will actually fly the thing from the plane anyway. My friend website is here:

http://www.rbaseg.eu/

You can find contact information there. He is usually very open to sharing knowledge, and as far as I know, he is right now building another suit, so maybe he can snap and share some photos from different stages of development.

As for suit looking like Horten H O 229... I think Tonysuits made at some point a suit looking very similar to that (just arm wing - no or very small leg wing). Can't seem to find a photo of the suit anywhere online now, but from my memory it looked similar. It was not a mainstream product, but I remember that a guy flying it, made a very good score (speed wise) during one of wingsuit BASE competitions in Norway few years back. But probably there is a reason (or multiple of them) why the suit never got into mass production. But the idea has been tried already.

Good luck!

cheers

On 3/22/2020 at 7:34 PM, Mr.B said:

I think Tonysuits made at some point a suit looking very similar to that (just arm wing - no or very small leg wing). Can't seem to find a photo of the suit anywhere online now, but from my memory it looked similar. It was not a mainstream product, but I remember that a guy flying it, made a very good score (speed wise) during one of wingsuit BASE competitions in Norway few years back.

It sounds like you are talking about the suit Yegor Orlow flew when he won in the World BASE Race 2016. It had a big arm wing but the tail was more like a Phantom, cut up above the ground. I think the arm root also protruded below the feet so it almost looked like fangs coming down. I was there at the time he was jumping it and remember watching him looking at the tailwing in flight and thinking it must have been just a trick of my eyes.

From memory it was a test design from some time ago that had been left alone, TonySuits dubbed it the 'FlickTail' afterwards and I am sure they produced an article on it for Facebook but I can't find it now.

Very interesting design and totally changed how I thought about it all.

• Like 1

Hi Soude,

CFD isn't really a simple straight forward "someone gives you an algorithm, you repeat it, and it works" type of problem. It takes some knowledge in fluid dynamics to understand what is going on in the background (and to enable you to differentiates a bullshit solution that converged, from one that actually makes sense), and it takes some understanding of the actual methods that run in the background of your CFD solver to know how to adjust it's parameters (mesh type, size, and methods being some but not all of them, as simulation settings influence the solution in a very meaningful way). 

I would recommend starting with these tutorials by Cornell university which I found very helpful when I was a student (pay particular attention to the wind turbine one). These are by no means a guarantee of success, but they should help you keep your calculation error at no worse than 40%. If you want better than that, there is a lot of learning involved...