2 2
Duvain

How to impress an instructor???

I just graduated aff and REALLY want to surprise my instructors (to thank them all for the whole process!!) Then i realize there’s no way I can impress a swooper/ JM as a rookie... 

Except for being stable/ finishing every level perfectly/ buying beers, how can a student impress instructors (learn some freefly skills or is there anything I can do for them in dz)? 

It’s a tough question...

The students that I have worked with who impressed me most were those who went far beyond what I've done.  It took a few years for them to get there of course, but watching one of "my" puppies go on to excel in the sport and knowing that I was a small part in that progression is very gratifying. 

• Like 1

Stay teachable. By that, I mean don't ever forget that you know very little and have a lot to learn. Don't become the '100 jump wonder' who knows everything. 

Continue to learn. I've heard it said that some skydivers have 500 jumps, others have done the same jump 500 times. 

Keep showing up. Even if the weather is 'iffy', show up anyway. There's a lot that can be learned on weather holds, just sitting around and talking. Listen more than you talk. 

At this point, there's very little you can do to impress them with your skills. But you can show a good attitude. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, skybytch said:

The students that I have worked with who impressed me most were those who went far beyond what I've done.  It took a few years for them to get there of course, but watching one of "my" puppies go on to excel in the sport and knowing that I was a small part in that progression is very gratifying. 

That sounds awesome!! Can’t imagine the day that I can visit home dz and instructors as an experienced skydiver and then thank them again for guiding me at the beginning!

it will take many years tho... ;) 

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Stay teachable. By that, I mean don't ever forget that you know very little and have a lot to learn. Don't become the '100 jump wonder' who knows everything. 

Continue to learn. I've heard it said that some skydivers have 500 jumps, others have done the same jump 500 times. 

Keep showing up. Even if the weather is 'iffy', show up anyway. There's a lot that can be learned on weather holds, just sitting around and talking. Listen more than you talk. 

At this point, there's very little you can do to impress them with your skills. But you can show a good attitude. 

Those are very good suggestions for a beginner! 

But if weather is not ideal for jumping, will people even go to dz?? Would it be awkward to just be the only student there sitting alone...?

On 12/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, Duvain said:

But if weather is not ideal for jumping, will people even go to dz?? Would it be awkward to just be the only student there sitting alone...?

On 12/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, Duvain said:

Go to LEARN. Ask questions and make it known that you are there to become a better skydiver. AND GOOD BEER, ALWAYS be the person that brings good beer! lol

On 12/13/2019 at 6:59 PM, Duvain said:

It depends on the DZ. Some places will send everyone home, some will have the staff stay, hoping it will improve. It also depends on the forecast.

I've heard it said that there's a 100% chance you won't jump if you aren't at the DZ.
I've spent a lot of time sitting around waiting. Sometimes it gets better and I've gotten to jump, other times we've just sat around.

That doesn't mean that time can't be constructive. 
I've seen:

A USPA Board member and Tandem I/E grab the TIs and spend most of an hour going over Tandem EPs.

The S&TA and head instructor grab all the students, along with recent A license grads and sit around going over everything. One thing he repeated was "is there anything you need or want a better understanding of?"

A rigger go over gear with anyone who was interested (students and experienced jumpers). Same basic 'is there anything you want to know about?'

The pilot sitting and answering questions about the plane, flying, all that (not everything was jump related, but it was still informative). 

There's also the opportunity to become part of the community. The DZO has said that anyone who makes their first AFF jump is part of the group and welcome to join in the 'non-jumping' activities (cookouts, parties, bonfires, ect). 
If you plan on continuing jumping, you will need friends to jump with. Hanging out with those people and getting to know them (and letting them get to know you) is important for that.

Besides, in addition to the 'instructive' stuff, I've also seen throwing knives, a bull whip, balance rollers, BMX bikes, creeper bowling and a few other things I can't think of right now. Most were being used by people who had some skill, most were offered for anyone who wanted to try. 

We get a bit silly sometimes. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:42 PM, skybytch said:

Fully agree with this 100%! 

You want to impress your instructor? Stay humble, ask questions and most of all, be safe. Remember THEIR names are in YOUR log book, and what ever YOU DO. Reflects on them. 

• Like 1

(edited)
On 12/14/2019 at 1:59 AM, Duvain said:

Depends on the DZ.  If you live near the sea there is no such thing as a good or bad weather day as the weather can change in an hour.  Here where I live, if the weather is bad in the morning it will be bad all day and the DZ might not even open.

When you are a beginner a bad weather day is a good day to learn/practice packing...

Edited by neilmck

On 12/13/2019 at 8:20 AM, Duvain said:

I just graduated aff and REALLY want to surprise my instructors (to thank them all for the whole process!!) Then i realize there’s no way I can impress a swooper/ JM as a rookie... 

Except for being stable/ finishing every level perfectly/ buying beers, how can a student impress instructors (learn some freefly skills or is there anything I can do for them in dz)? 

It’s a tough question...

It's been a long time since I was an active instructor, but I was always impressed with students who remembered something about the jump, and therefore could focus on doing the next one better. A lot of things blend together when you're early in skydiving (later, too), but remembering what happened in the part of the jump that you're most interested in mastering is how you'll master. 

It's why they break AFF down into stages; there are a few targeted skills to remember, and it's just fine not to get all of them at once. Lots of people don't. But if you work on remembering (for example) what you planned on for the exit, and then focus on remembering how that compared with what actually happened, you'll start to have the tools. It's remembering for yourself, not just letting the instructor or coach tell you what happened.

Have fun

Wendy P.

All of the above.  There is a ton of great advice in there.

But for me, the main thing is, set a goal or goals, and stick with it at a reasonable pace and achieve those goals.  A-license, world champion, or anything in between.

Like Lisa (skybytch) said, the best is when one of your former students achieves things way beyond what you did.

Another favourite feeling is seeing one of your former AFF students on the other side of an AFF jump.