1 1
David Wang

Skydive Perris VS Skydive Elsinore

Hi fellows,

when I opened Google Map I accidentally found another DZ near Perris--Skydive Elsinore. It seems like AFF at Elsinore is cheapter than Perris...and someone says there is dirt at Elsinore, or different vibes..a lot of different comments and different perspectives.  i don't know.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Go there.  Check it out.  Good people and training and facilities at both dz's.  

Elsinore has an awesome coaching program for new jumpers.  You pay for your skydive and the coach's slot is covered by the dz.  Now this is not high level discipline specific coaching. Lots of the coaches are pretty new to it (they are all USPA rated coaches).  But you get to jump with people you can learn from, who want to jump with you, and all you pay for is your slot.  

11 hours ago, David Wang said:

Hi fellows,

when I opened Google Map I accidentally found another DZ near Perris--Skydive Elsinore. It seems like AFF at Elsinore is cheapter than Perris...and someone says there is dirt at Elsinore, or different vibes..a lot of different comments and different perspectives.  i don't know.

Anyway, any suggestions?

There has been a DZ at Elsinore since the beginning of time. Literally. I've only jumped there once, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. It is a smaller operation than Perris, but still large by most people's standards. I would be surprised if there is a large price difference between them though. 

Either one you choose will be excellent. I highly recommend Perris - I jump there the most. A lot of the instructors in the area work at both DZs. Elsinore has great things but I'm going to focus on nice things about Perris:

There is a restaurant/bar - great for staying fueled up during jumping. Most nights have some/many instructors/coaches hanging out and happy to share advice. You can connect with other jumpers too.

Many, many outs for landing, no matter your skill level. The grass landing area is for jumpers with a B license and 100 jumps, so prior to that you will land in the dirt. And there is A LOT of dirt to land in!

They incorporate the wind tunnel into the training, and the tunnel in on site. I don't know how many people realize how valuable this training is. You can also train extra if you like, on top of what's part of the AFF program.

Load organizers are there every day. Once you are off AFF but prior to getting licensed, you will be doing coach jump and solo jumps to get up your jump numbers towards your A license. You instructors will always assist you, but you'll be more on your own away from the school doing solos. It's nice to know there are LOs/experienced jumpers/coaches around to ask questions to. Even just to help you out in the loading area and exit order, etc.

Skyvan! Sometimes you get to jump out of this awesome plane.

Pool. Always fun.

Like someone else said, if you can, go to each facility and just check it out and walk around. Talk to the school staff at each DZ.

You'll be jumping at both DZs eventually - they are both great.

• Like 1

Perris and Elsinore are both terrific dropzones. I was mainly a Perris jumper, but used to jump at Elsinore sometimes too, especially for their annual Chicks Rock boogie. I used to tell people that the two places offered "different flavors" of skydiving. I haven't jumped in five years and things always change. Lately I've seen where some Perris staff are now staffing at Elsinore, so the mix and flavor are always changing. Go jump and enjoy both places, one will probably start to feel more like home after a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Air-Ness said:

Either one you choose will be excellent. I highly recommend Perris - I jump there the most. A lot of the instructors in the area work at both DZs. Elsinore has great things but I'm going to focus on nice things about Perris:

There is a restaurant/bar - great for staying fueled up during jumping. Most nights have some/many instructors/coaches hanging out and happy to share advice. You can connect with other jumpers too.

Many, many outs for landing, no matter your skill level. The grass landing area is for jumpers with a B license and 100 jumps, so prior to that you will land in the dirt. And there is A LOT of dirt to land in!

They incorporate the wind tunnel into the training, and the tunnel in on site. I don't know how many people realize how valuable this training is. You can also train extra if you like, on top of what's part of the AFF program.

Load organizers are there every day. Once you are off AFF but prior to getting licensed, you will be doing coach jump and solo jumps to get up your jump numbers towards your A license. You instructors will always assist you, but you'll be more on your own away from the school doing solos. It's nice to know there are LOs/experienced jumpers/coaches around to ask questions to. Even just to help you out in the loading area and exit order, etc.

Skyvan! Sometimes you get to jump out of this awesome plane.

Pool. Always fun.

Like someone else said, if you can, go to each facility and just check it out and walk around. Talk to the school staff at each DZ.

You'll be jumping at both DZs eventually - they are both great.

thanks!!

I'll put in a vote for Elsinore. I started going there with 35 jumps last summer. I learned a lot with their free Excel Camps once a month-Formation Diving. Also, never had any problem finding people and groups to jump with-nice, friendly jumpers there.

They usually have 2-3 planes operating on weekends and occasionally bring out the awesome Skyvan!

During the warm months, there is a danger of dust devils and very gusty winds, after about 1 pm, but I believe Perris has the same issues.

The view to the west is incredible-Pacific Ocean with Catalina & San Clemente Islands. View to the east of Mt. Baldy, Gorgonio, San Jacinto, plus, all the lakes below.

A & B licensed jumpers do have to land in the outer LZ, which is mainly dirt from July to November-Grass/weeds grow there during the rainy season.

• Like 2

Forget about what you hear about vibes or someone 's post go check it out yourself, I've jumped at both DZ's in the 90's and i stay away from the gossip and focus on the quality of the people, every dz has some drama, what would the sport be like without drama, check it out out yourself and make your own decisions, both have a lot of history to offer and have evolved in so many ways, and i'd go visit 2 of my favorite dz's anytime i get the chance.Blue Skies.

• Like 1