heavision

Advanced training

I’m coming up on 400 jumps and I’m keen to really break through to the “next level.” 

First I’d like to train to clean up any and all deficiencies or bad habits in free fall, canopy piloting and skydiving in general. Then I’d like to explore becoming an AFF instructor and perhaps a TI. 

I’m reading up in the SIMS and various things on line, asking questions at the DZ etc.  I know there are a number of places here in the states that offer the training  I’m looking for. 

I’m wondering if anyone here has advice or suggestions as far as the best places to train, any pitfalls I should be aware of, other things to do to get it right the first time—any advice/wisdom in general. 

Thanks everyone, and blue skies!

On 12/13/2019 at 3:39 AM, heavision said:

I’m coming up on 400 jumps and I’m keen to really break through to the “next level.” 

First I’d like to train to clean up any and all deficiencies or bad habits in free fall, canopy piloting and skydiving in general. Then I’d like to explore becoming an AFF instructor and perhaps a TI. 

I’m reading up in the SIMS and various things on line, asking questions at the DZ etc.  I know there are a number of places here in the states that offer the training  I’m looking for. 

I’m wondering if anyone here has advice or suggestions as far as the best places to train, any pitfalls I should be aware of, other things to do to get it right the first time—any advice/wisdom in general. 

Thanks everyone, and blue skies!

I only got as far a coach rating but these are my thoughts.

Expose yourself to a variety of drop zones from little Cessna dzs to the big ones. Tunnel is great for correcting and refining some free fall skills. Do as many canopy courses as you can. 
Jump with newbies on structured jumps, doing 4 way flat or similar with a good experienced jumper and helping them out by being a body for those A and B license jumpers and be an active listener and learner on the debriefs. Learn about your gear from a rigger as much as possible. If you can find a dz where you can pack and gear up tandems or assist with tandems. Spend time helping pilots with fueling and learning their side of the fence.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:34 AM, Remster said:

In my opinion, the best way to get the skills you need to do well in AFF is serious 4way, with a high quality coach.

Get a team together, find a great 4way coach, train in the air and tunnel. And study the SIM.

Where are you located?

St Louis. Turbine DZs are 3+ hours away. Sucks.