sheeks

Using a skinsuit/wetsuit for skydiving? Other cheap options?

So, maybe it’s just because i’m not made of money, but spending $500 on a jumpsuit seems absolutely insane to me.

I have an RW suit I paid $160 for from the FB marketplace, but as far as a FF suit goes I don’t have one. I was thinking of possibly buying a scuba skinsuit/wetsuit for like $30-80, as inspired by this news article.

https://www.indoorskydivingsource.com/news/35-budget-dynamic-jumpsuit/

I’m a skinny guy so I need a tight-fitting suit to jump with and help stay level with others anyway. Are there any real downsides to getting a skinsuit or wetsuit, aside from fashion?

I’m talking outdoor jumping btw, maybe a wetsuit will fall apart easily?

Anybody got any other sub-$150 FF suit alternatives?

Edited by sheeks

I freefly a lot, I have a suit for the Wind Tunnel only. It's a tight dynamic suit which isn't suitable for the sky.

In the sky I just wear tight jeans and a shirt. Just pick a shirt long enough so you can tighten your leg straps over so it won't blow over the top of your handles if you're head-up flying.

What matters is consistency. Always wear the same or similar clothes so you become familiar with your flight surface, this is the advantage of a jumpsuit - it always flies the same.

17 hours ago, David Wang said:

you can just wear your normal cloths plus your rig lol! 

Not necessarily good advice to just wear street clothes on a skydive. 

If you are going to do this make sure your shirt can't come loose and blow over your emergency handles.  Looking for handles that have been covered up during a malfunction is wasting time when you don't have much to spare.

David: Aren't you the guy in another thread that didn't like getting advice from people other than your instructors at the DZ?  If that's true, you might reconsider offering advice to others. 

Just my thoughts... from a guy that started jump mastering in 1980

8 minutes ago, IanHarrop said:

Not necessarily good advice to just wear street clothes on a skydive. 

If you are going to do this make sure your shirt can't come loose and blow over your emergency handles.  Looking for handles that have been covered up during a malfunction is wasting time when you don't have much to spare.

David: Aren't you the guy in another thread that didn't like getting advice from people other than your instructors at the DZ?  If that's true, you might reconsider offering advice to others. 

Just my thoughts... from a guy that started jump mastering in 1980

Thanks for your explanations and I will learn from you guys. Will do better!