npole

How cold it'll be?

Question

Hi everyone, I'm gonna start a AFF course right after the holidays.
I have to decide if to wait a little or go for it straight away.
On this point I would like to know how you dress during the winter? The ground temperature here is around 7-10° during the day in January, I expect it to be -20° up there. Do you usually wear thin (layered) thermal clothing or ticker undersuits?
I do scuba diving during winter (using a drysuit) and we used to wear undersuits like this: 

Risultati immagini per santi flex 190

..that's a way too much for a skydiver, or do you use similar undersuits?

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Wearing surgical type gloves under thin leather gloves works great. My advice is to put on the surgical gloves on the way to altitude to reduce the likelihood of your hands getting sweaty. That means just wear the leather gloves at first, then add the surgical gloves on the way up. Work it out with your instructors, they won’t like the distraction, so clear it with them first so nobody is surprised.

2 hours ago, TommyM said:

Good luck and don’t jump right after scuba, but you know that right?

...yes. :) ...with the AFF normal height is even more important than taking a airliner (where the cabin is pressurized at a lower altitude). However since almost all my dives are decompression dives, normally I do not take a flight (and I won't do skydiving) following 48 hours after the last dive, to be safe.

Thanks guys. Assuming I won't freeze at first jump.. :)I'll adjust the undersuit, so I'm gonna go layering.

My 2 cents:

A) Dress warm but be sure not to restrict your movement, range of motion. Work it out on the ground. Be sure.

B) You're only up in the cold for some minutes. If you're comfortable on the ground you'll probably be fine at altitude--you're heart's beating faster, adrenaline etc. You may not even notice the cold that much. 

Good luck with your training. Jump safe!

Yes it will be cold. 

Multiple thin layers is best. 

I won't go up if it's below freezing on the ground (I'm getting old), which can be as cold as -25F or -30F at altitude. 

If it's cold, I usually wear thermal underwear under jeans and warm socks. T-shirt, thermal shirt, long sleeved T-shirt, pullover sweatshirt (no hood).  Jumpsuit over all of that. Neck buff (gaiter, warmer, whatever) and gloves. 

Gloves are critical. Too thick and you lose dexterity. Too thin and you lose sensation. I've used mechanic's gloves, baseball batting gloves and the 'skydiving gloves' you can get at the gear store. 
Some folks put latex surgical gloves under those to keep the wind out. 

On the flip side, you are only in freefall for a minute. Then under canopy for a few minutes. Then back in the hangar, which is hopefully heated. 

• Like 1

Go with thin layers. Gloves are important, thin but warm if possible, numb fingers and hands could be a concern. Use something around your neck. Fortunately the exposure time to the coldest temps is only a matter of seconds. The plane ride may be remembered as being colder than the free fall. Moisture in the air can be a challenge, ice on the face is extremely painful. In the end, the instructors will guide you.

Good luck and don’t jump right after scuba, but you know that right?

(edited)

definitely latex or nitrile gloves to cut out the wind.  Another option for gloves would be motorsports gloves (motorcycling or snowmobiling) are usually thin and windproof (I have snowmobiling gloves which work well for me as a new skydiver, about $60 US).  

Multiple thin layers, as a student you should be in a jumpsuit that is just slightly big anyway, so there should be room underneath. 

My last jump was -12*F at altitude (30 on the ground) and it was only tolerable in just a jumpsuit (Vertical Raptor) with a T-shirt under it and gloves .... except for my open face helmet, my face was very cold.  That is as cold as I want until my full face helmet comes in, and I should have had my thermals on under my jumpsuit to stay comfortable.

You are only in the air for maybe 8 minutes (plus the plane ride) and I, personally, would rather be a bit too cold than hot on a cramped plane. 

Edited by ColoradoJones