iranianjumper

License Number

On 11/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, iranianjumper said:

Is there any change to license number by getting higher license ? or it is the same as perevious number ?

I believe that in both the USA and Canada, each category of license numbers starting from 1 (when licenses started in the 1950's or so) up to the present time. So your B license number will be based on the total number of B's issued to that point--which won't be the same as the total number of A's issued up to when you got your A, etc.

I remember that when I jumped at his drop zone back in the 1980's, Canadian DZO Bob Wright signed my logbook as "E-8". Back then CSPA (but not USPA) still issued E licenses, but they were rare even then, and "E-8" meant that Bob had only the eighth CSPA E license ever issued.

There may be some exceptions for example the honorary D-20000 of late President George HW Bush (who DID make a few civilian skydives but not enough to qualify for a non-honorary license of any flavor, let alone a "D").

Edited by SivaGanesha
minor spelling
  • Like 1

There may be some exceptions for example the honorary D-20000 of late President George HW Bush (who DID make a few civilian skydives but not enough to qualify for a non-honorary license of any flavor, let alone a "D").

Yeah, and he really use to abuse the shit out of it, too. Would come on dropzones and try to organize big ways, would never buy beer, and insisted on using the 45° rule. What a dick. 

BTW, Alice Cooper has an honorary doctorate. He doesn't have a Bachelors degree. Too much? 

On 11/29/2019 at 9:20 PM, SivaGanesha said:

I believe that in both the USA and Canada, each category of license numbers starting from 1 (when licenses started in the 1950's or so) up to the present time.

That's generally true I guess, but I know there have been exceptions in Canada. Off topic for the thread in general, but to be overly-picky for the record:

1. With some licence level, someone at the CSPA made a mistake and jumped over a block of numbers. I think they subsequently left them blank. This was maybe 20 years ago.

2. When the CSPA overhauled the licencing to match better with the FAI (mid 2000's?), they jumped up to the next block of 100 or something like that, for licences issued using the new qualifications. (E.g., I am D-1014 under the old system shortly before they changed. They might have restarted at D-1100 for anyone submitting the new paperwork.)

(PS - Bob Wright was my first jump PFF instructor at the end of the '80s!)

33 minutes ago, pchapman said:

(PS - Bob Wright was my first jump PFF instructor at the end of the '80s!)

Thanks for the added detail on license numbers w/CSPA. Now that you mention it, I remember I heard before about the gap that was left when the requirements changed.

I didn't do PFF w/Bob. My home DZ back then was SWOOP then at the same airport. I did the SL/IAD progression at SWOOP (they switched from SL to IAD right during my student progression). After getting off student status, though, I occasionally jumped at Bob's DZ at the same airport.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Dubosej said:

I was a skydiver in the 1960s member of PCA . I can find no record of the early organization 

I hold D1080 but can find no records of the early D license holders.

Hi Dubosej,

Contact these guys:  United States Parachute Association > Home (uspa.org)

Jerry Baumchen

D-1543

PS)  I joined PCA the summer of 1964.

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1