1 1
David Wang

Failed to locate the ripcord and pull during my 2rd tandem. Is this an issue?

Hi my fellow skydivers,

My name is David and I am a future AFF student. The day before yesterday I went to the DZ at Perris, CA to do 4-minute indoor (learn to ARCH in the tunnel, need to work on my legs and arms more in the future! But I did good during my first time)  and my second tandem jump. I finished my first jump two weeks ago and I couldn't wait to jump again lol. 

My instructor is a tandem examiner and she asked me to practice AFF level 1 stuff during my second tandem: good ARCH, altitude awareness, three practice pulls, lock on at 7000 ft, wave off at 6000 ft and pull by myself. I think the reason she asked me to do extra work is that I already jumped once and learned to ARCH in the tunnel...and I'm determined to come back and do AFF. 

So we went on a skyvan, which was pretty cool because Tom Cruise once jumped from that plane haha. I felt a little dizzy when the plane went up but I was fine. We jumped from 12,500 ft AGL and at the moment we jumped out of the skyvan I didn't know if I did a good ARCH. I think it was because of the sensory overload..and I guess during this short period I couldn't do and remember much. I went through the video yesterday and found out that I need to control my legs more in my future jumps...not a very standard arch.

After this short period everything became clear and stable. I checked my altitude and I remember it was 10,000 ft. Then I tried to do three practice pulls (also not very standard lol but indeed I did three times) Then my instructor made us spin. During the spin I checked my altimeter again and it was 7,000 ft. I remember I was like" oh shoot time is fast I need to pull very soon" then I locked on my altimeter and keep checking altutude. I waved off at 6,000 ft but then I failed to locate the ripcord and pull. My instructor pulled for me after a few seconds. 

We had a very good landing after and I really enjoyed the canopy ride. The view was absolutely incredible. 

So here is my question: I failed to locate the ripcord and pull the parachute. Is this going to become a problem for my future AFF?

Thank you!

To see my 2rd tandem video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDFHVIPY-4

My instagram: https://www.instagram.com/?hl=en Try to make friends with skydivers as many as possible! 

Plenty of AFF style students have problems locating the ripcord and getting the pull correct the first time. And that's on the actual AFF1 jump. Not everyone gets to practice once on a tandem beforehand.

So yes you'll have to get it right to progress much in the AFF stages, but you've already gotten more practice than most.  Second time will be easier. (Although you'll want to do plenty of ground practice as the handle location will be shifted somewhat on a real AFF.)

Don't stress it, you'll do just fine.  

When you do your initial AFF jumps, the main side instructor will be guiding your hand to the handle on each of your practice touches and when you go to pull.  You'll also be doing a BUNCH of practice touches during your FJC and before every student jump.  

Looked to me like you did a great job with altitude awareness and remembering the dive flow.  Two pretty important parts of skydiving, whether you are a student or an experienced jumper.

4 hours ago, pchapman said:

Plenty of AFF style students have problems locating the ripcord and getting the pull correct the first time. And that's on the actual AFF1 jump. Not everyone gets to practice once on a tandem beforehand.

So yes you'll have to get it right to progress much in the AFF stages, but you've already gotten more practice than most.  Second time will be easier. (Although you'll want to do plenty of ground practice as the handle location will be shifted somewhat on a real AFF.)

Thank you! So second time will be easier you mean and I need to practice to pull on the ground. student rig is different from the tandem rig so maybe it's a bit easier to pull? 

2 hours ago, skybytch said:

Don't stress it, you'll do just fine.  

When you do your initial AFF jumps, the main side instructor will be guiding your hand to the handle on each of your practice touches and when you go to pull.  You'll also be doing a BUNCH of practice touches during your FJC and before every student jump.  

Looked to me like you did a great job with altitude awareness and remembering the dive flow.  Two pretty important parts of skydiving, whether you are a student or an experienced jumper.

Thanks for the encouragement bro! I will practice more in my FJC...I was worried about the "pull" issue this past weekend hahaha

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  In AFF, you have the parachute on your back on the ground to practice.  You also spend a lot of time on the ground practicing everything.  Then on the AFF jump you do 3 practice pulls while the instructor assists you in finding the pilot chute(not ripcord).  AFF1 is largely about demonstrating a good falling position, altitude awareness and landing safely.

I learned at perris and my instructors actually pulled for me at a higher than practiced altitude because we were slow at setting up and then drifting.  I was frustrated when I landed because they pulled for me but then they explained it.  If they pull for you it's a concern for next time but it isn't the end of the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kat00 said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  In AFF, you have the parachute on your back on the ground to practice.  You also spend a lot of time on the ground practicing everything.  Then on the AFF jump you do 3 practice pulls while the instructor assists you in finding the pilot chute(not ripcord).  AFF1 is largely about demonstrating a good falling position, altitude awareness and landing safely.

I learned at perris and my instructors actually pulled for me at a higher than practiced altitude because we were slow at setting up and then drifting.  I was frustrated when I landed because they pulled for me but then they explained it.  If they pull for you it's a concern for next time but it isn't the end of the world.

really they pulled for you during AFF??? I hope I can pull by myself during leve 1 hahaha...yes I don't worry about it now. Thanks bro!