16 16
BigL

Chasing Angles on your Feet

Thoughts on when to start chasing angles on your feet? When did you start? Is there a limit of how flat/slow you can chase?

Is it constructive to start chasing them earlier rather than later? I'm confident I can chase them and stay safe (will start on my back).

My general train of thought is when I learned angles on my head I spent quite a few jumps chasing them before learning the exit and flying efficient enough to make and stay on the jump.

Is the person leading on their feet or their head? Being able to match a head first angle on your feet is a rare skill amongst free fliers, unless the leader is intentionally assuming body positions that are more friendly to feet first fliers. I would recommend against it until you have dozens of feet first angles.

If the leader is on their feet and you have a decent sitfly, I suggest you start from a more static position and moves from there. And double check your confidence about being safe. The best way is to get in an angle camp with a smaller group that is ready to learn together with an experienced leader.

Two ways are also great to start playing with it.

• Like 1

(edited)

I have dozens of feet first angles, plenty of 2-Ways as well. I can hold a slot on my back with a HU Leader, I'm still working out belly.

Been playing around with it, generally I'm finding if I chase it HD Back first then transition to HU Belly this is the easiest way to get relative and start working out the inputs. I do it off the side of the jump in my own airspace so it's safe.

Will keep updating this thread as I figure it out, and maybe post some footage.

Edited by BigL
Changed wording

On 12/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, cbassmnm said:

Any FOOTage yet?

Here are 2 recent jumps. At the moment my focus is flying on level on my belly, and getting more range to play with.

The HU backflying is still in the building blocks stage.

Nice, sweet exit on the first jump!   I was kind of surprised to see how you were flying with the guys on the first jump and seemed pegged out , while the leader had a lot of knees.  

So if the leader straightened all the way out with no knees, would it be possible to keep up on feet?

Good flying and nice FOoTage!

Edited by cbassmnm

I feel pretty maxed out when following HD yeah, but there is more range for sure.

At the moment I think the head and the arms are still creating lots of drag. Focused on keeping the head neutral and looking down with my eyes, and to fly on level and not behind.

The arms are going to take some time because they feel like my main source of stability. Thanks!

Edited by BigL

Yeah cartwheel, it feels the safest because I can keep easily keep reference throughout. I just try and give myself a bit of speed from the HD side because it takes some time to find the angle get on the gas pedal once HU.

Another easy-ish one is HD Backfly and float up to the belly slot then go through the back to HU Belly.