2 2
speedfreak233

Help please

Question

I have recently developed a shoulder problem that is restricting movement of my right arm behind my back. It has gotten so bad after just a couple of jumps that on my last jump i could not reach my pilot chute and had to pull my reserve. Has anyone had ant issues like this in the past and what did you do to regain full use? Please help. Not willing to give up skydiving.

3 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, speedfreak233 said:

I have recently developed a shoulder problem that is restricting movement of my right arm behind my back. It has gotten so bad after just a couple of jumps that on my last jump i could not reach my pilot chute and had to pull my reserve. Has anyone had ant issues like this in the past and what did you do to regain full use? Please help. Not willing to give up skydiving.

I have no medical advice for you. However, it may help you to relocate your pilot chute to the left side of the container. This has been done many times for similar reasons.

49 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I have no medical advice for you. However, it may help you to relocate your pilot chute to the left side of the container. This has been done many times for similar reasons.

I did this back in the early 80's. I had a rotator cuff injury that my doc thought would keep me from jumping for a couple of months. I had an SST Racer with a pull out so the change was easy, just add a little velcro and a tab to the left side. I think only missed one weekend of jumping.

Without knowing why your shoulder has restricted movement it is difficult to say what to do. However, maybe start by scheduling an appointment with a physical therapist or a massage therapist. Or you may need a combination of both. It could be that the weak muscles are over powered by stronger muscles or other functional issues, and a physical therapist should be able to help with that. For massage, make sure to do some research before scheduling, there is a very wide variance of how beneficial their work will be and how good they are. I would look for one that does therapeutic massage and/or sports massage. For some massage therapists it is just a job and they don't really care and pretty much just rub oil or lotion on you, and some truly want to help people get better and try to find the source of the issue. If neither of those help, it may be a bigger issue and you may need to see a doctor.