1 1
veazer

Slider Swapping

Assuming the two sliders are roughly the same size, is there any reason you couldn't swap a slider from 1 canopy to another? I've got an extra pilot 188 slider and a friend needs a new sabre 2 210 slider, specifically. All the sabre 2's above 170 use the same slider, and I can't find an aerodyne slider size chart anywhere. What would be the risk in doing this? From measurements the pilot slider seems to be 2" bigger across the long measurement, and the same across the short measurement (may be more domed). Would a larger slider cause slower openings or would it let the lines separate 2 more inches coming out of the bag and allow it to open faster?

You become a testjumper in doing so. Nothing more and nothing less. It might turn out great, it might turn out twisted, slammed, snivelling for ages, you name it. 

also any manufacturers warranty is void, insurances might not want to pay when it comes out, that you tampered with the gear. Even worse, you might be held financially and legally accountable for any accidents/ damages, that may occur. 

It‘s been done a million times over and with good results. So I’d do it in a heartbeat. But you have to realise the possible consequences first and weigh your odds 

Please report back 

(edited)
8 hours ago, Pobrause said:

insurances might not want to pay when it comes out, that you tampered with the gear. Even worse, you might be held financially and legally accountable for any accidents/ damages, that may occur. 

That's a ridiculous extrapolation. Name one actual instance this has ever happened. People test jump canopies all the time. That's how you got the product you're flying right now. At some point someone was test jumping a prototype version of your canopy. People change their sliders all the time but you need to know what you're doing.

OP: The short answer is no, you should not mess with the slider without consulting a rigger or (preferably) the manufacturer first. It can be done safely but you need to know what you're doing.

Edited by 20kN

9 hours ago, 20kN said:

People test jump canopies all the time. That's how you got the product you're flying right now. At some point someone was test jumping a prototype version of your canopy. 

Yes. And they are paid by the manufacturer to do so, probably have signed a ton of waivers and have heaps of experience. That is not comparable in any way to someone asking if they can put a pilot slider on a sabre 2 210. 

Personally I wouldn't do it. There is likely a reason they are different dimensions.  Why take a chance when PD will sell him a new one for $140?

19 hours ago, Pobrause said:

also any manufacturers warranty is void, insurances might not want to pay when it comes out, that you tampered with the gear. Even worse, you might be held financially and legally accountable for any accidents/ damages, that may occur. 

Warranty? On a parachute?  Never heard of such a thing.  Says very clearly right on the canopy warning label and in the owners manual of every canopy I've ever seen that there is no warranty express or implied.

What insurance?  Where can I get some?

Liability?  Excuse me while I go outside and scream about people who don't read the waiver they signed and assume that someone else is responsible for anything that happens to them.

In the US anyway. I don't know about other countries.

I have no idea how this got so complicated. I'd just do it. There are some basic rules like don't use a slider with grommets significantly wider then your cell. Depending on the length of your stabilizers your slider should not be setting on your bottom skin when packing. If it's so much wider that it's just crumpled on the bottom skin the fabric will not be holding the grommets up the lines till they slide low enough to lift the fabric off the bottom skin. Only then will the wind be holding it up. That's a fairly extreme limit but I have seen people make that mistake. Don't people futz with there gear any more?

Lee

• Like 3

(edited)
6 hours ago, Deimian said:

Yes. And they are paid by the manufacturer to do so, probably have signed a ton of waivers and have heaps of experience. That is not comparable in any way to someone asking if they can put a pilot slider on a sabre 2 210. 

That's not entirely accurate. A lot of testing is done by the manufacturer's athletes and they are typically not paid for their efforts. They might get to keep the product they are testing.

Edited by 20kN

3 hours ago, RiggerLee said:

Don't people futz with there gear any more?

I hear you. The answer seems to be no they don't. Most of them are afraid to jump without an AAD and many without a MARD. And.....they don't really know exactly what a MARD is, they just want one.

What we found, when we conduct heavy droptesting for military - bigger (slider) not always better. Bigger distance between grommets on slider allow canopy to spread more, and because of that - catch more air initialy, and that speed up opening, instead of slowing it down.

Big plus that tolerance there (slider, stabs, stops, ets) are so big, so, usially - that trend not so direct. Like, any +- 1 in. usially give just a minor difference. But, when there is a big difference in proportion, like slider much bigger (or smaller) in one dirertion only - there can be a problem :) 

Found that a hard way - digging a dummy from a hole about a 2 feets deep :)