2 2
jcbfly

Parachute Systems?

I sent them an email on 22OCT19 - no answer so far. A few days ago I called the contact number that I found online. A nice lady answered the phone and said "Hello", but didn't mention Parachute Systems. I said "Hello, is this Parachute Systems?", to which she replied that she used to work for Parachute Systems, but wasn't currently employed by them. She gave me another number to call. I called and left a message and I haven't heard back. 

Anyone have any idea what's up? Are they on vacation? 

I was told by one of their vendors that they are no longer producing any products. Here's a quote from the vendor:

"Parachute Systems had informed their dealers that they are closing the factory for the unseen future. However, I think they are still providing parts if needed."

Spoke with them this week and they are in process of transitioning to new factory and hence not taking new orders.   They are making new parts and dealers have contact details of Chris.    They are definitely still in business and just transitioning at the moment.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, skytribe said:

Spoke with them this week and they are in process of transitioning to new factory and hence not taking new orders.   They are making new parts and dealers have contact details of Chris.    They are definitely still in business and just transitioning at the moment.

Old thread, but I wanted to revisit this - is Parachute Systems back taking orders and in production?

I spoke with Chris Dales (Parachute Systems owner) yesterday afternoon for over half an hour, and here is the latest on Parachute Systems and their product line and service.

The factory in South Africa is closed. Negotiations are ongoing with a possible new manufacturer for the Vortex harness/container that would be made here in the US (thus removing one of the bigger reasons given by US jumpers for not buying the Vortex). However, COVID-19 has greatly slowed the negotiating process. Chris hopes to have Vortex production resumed in the US by year's end but nothing is certain due to the uncertainties of COVID-19 and the negotiating process. There are no current plans to resume Volt and Hurricane main canopy production, at least not in the US. There's a slight chance of production resuming in South Africa at some point in the future but those plans have a lower chance of panning out compared to the resumption of Vortex production. If canopy manufacturing does resume, odds are that the Parachute Systems Decelerator reserve canopy will not be produced - only the Volt and Hurricane main canopies. Their crossbraced canopy was discontinued a couple of years ago according to Chris.

Some good news - regarding support for the Vortex and canopies, Chris still has the equipment and materials needed to support spare parts which include but are not limited to reserve free bag and pilot chute, main cutaway, reserve ripcord, and line sets for the main canopies. Presumably this is why their website is still up despite the factory being closed.

Later this year I'll try to get an update and if so will post the latest info. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2020 at 1:20 AM, HPC said:

Chris still has the equipment and materials needed to support spare parts which include but are not limited to reserve free bag and pilot chute, main cutaway, reserve ripcord, and line sets for the main canopies.

The TSO'd free bag and reserve pilot are required to be marked with the manufacturer's address.  With the factory closed, what address is he using?

It would be nice if whoever holds the patterns would make their intentions clear. For now I am advising all customers who ask to avoid buying their products on the used market. The longer uncertainty persists the less valuable any remaining assets will become.