sheeks

Are there any conerns or problems with the mars2AAD?

Not only is it the cheapest AAD, but the batteries never need changing and it never needs servicing. Almost seems too good to be true. What’s the point of buying a vigil or cypress in this case? What are your opinions on the M2?

Anything that runs off of batteries will eventually run out of juice. As a matter of fact m2 is the only AAD currently on market that allows you to check the battery level.
The downside of using "exotic" parts or gear is that not everyone may be familiar with it.
Case in point: just last week I had a customer bring me a rig with m2 in it that still had cutter that has been recalled with SB in 2016. Rig was kept in date the entire time...

The Mars is great. It’s not true that you always get what you pay for. There are plenty of overpriced products out there and the Mars unit is just as safe as any others. In my opinion it’s superior to other options as it has a much better screen that is easier to use and configure. 

I am very happy with my M2, especially what I percieve is an actual safety benefit of not having to take it out for service. 

For myself I think the Cypres service intervals decreased safety, because I didn't end up renting a unit when mine was out for service, and I would continue to jump the rig while it was out.

3 hours ago, DougH said:

I am very happy with my M2, especially what I perceive is an actual safety benefit of not having to take it out for service. 

For myself I think the Cypres service intervals decreased safety, because I didn't end up renting a unit when mine was out for service, and I would continue to jump the rig while it was out.

A new Cypres has the same 15-year service life as an M2, and the 5- and 10-year checks are optional.

12 hours ago, padalcek said:

Case in point: just last week I had a customer bring me a rig with m2 in it that still had cutter that has been recalled with SB in 2016. Rig was kept in date the entire time...

Likewise I had two vigils that were 12 years old and had been installed/repacked despite a SB stating that they needed to be replaced at 10 years.    Repacked by riggers in both Canada and Eloy.

Dont blame the M2 because a rigger doesnt check for SB’s and ensure compliance.