1 1
davenuk

Zippers

hey,

i just started jumping a PF Venom Power, the zips which encompass the MLW are different to my other suit which is a sqrl.

i liked the little bungee round button attachment and got thinking about making some sort of elastic toggle i could thread through the zip.

my question is.... 

what are peoples thoughts on providing a flexible anchorage between the two zips vs relying on the locking ability of the zip and just use the string to assist in a failure situation? if i copy the sqrl type the tension effectively lifts the lock off the zip .

here's the zip - 

75224700_2485606214857400_5083650242188935168_n.jpg.4230b7c62c78fb5973f57446e4096fda.jpg

cheers!

(edited)
12 hours ago, davenuk said:

hey,

i just started jumping a PF Venom Power, the zips which encompass the MLW are different to my other suit which is a sqrl.

i liked the little bungee round button attachment and got thinking about making some sort of elastic toggle i could thread through the zip.

my question is.... 

what are peoples thoughts on providing a flexible anchorage between the two zips vs relying on the locking ability of the zip and just use the string to assist in a failure situation? if i copy the sqrl type the tension effectively lifts the lock off the zip .

here's the zip - 

75224700_2485606214857400_5083650242188935168_n.jpg.4230b7c62c78fb5973f57446e4096fda.jpg

cheers!

Yes some people do that. I've jumped Tony Suits products that use a similar system. Tying the two zipper heads together is in my opinion the most secure version of securing the zippers because if you run the cord through the bottom of the zipper, instead of the top as pictured, you can tighten them up enough that there is absolutely no gap between the MLW and the zippers which is not the case with any other system I've ever seen. The main issue is this method is a bit more slow so it takes more time to take suits on and off which is why I suspect it's not more common.

Personally I dont suggest the S biners method. I've tried it and found those biners are not that strong and I've broken a few. Also, since they are just metal and not elastic cord, there will always be a gap between the MLW and the zipper head which is not as ideal. The ideal solution is one in which there is never any gap between the MLW and zipper heads.

Edited by 20kN

On any suit with the dual zipper/innie-outie setup you can also just fix/close the bottom zipper permanent with a few stitches. This means only the top zipper is able to move.

This severely deminishes the chance of the zipper (even with connected string or elastic) opening up and swallowing handles. As that is quite easy when both zippers are able to move, but happens a lot less with only one moving freefly.

I've got my PF Strix setup with a 'classic' single zipper (ordered as such), as its much less fuss in skydiving use with gearup and general use, as well as a bit more comfortable in fit.

(edited)
On 11/15/2019 at 4:54 AM, mccordia said:

On any suit with the dual zipper/innie-outie setup you can also just fix/close the bottom zipper permanent with a few stitches. This means only the top zipper is able to move.

This severely deminishes the chance of the zipper (even with connected string or elastic) opening up and swallowing handles. As that is quite easy when both zippers are able to move, but happens a lot less with only one moving freefly.

I've got my PF Strix setup with a 'classic' single zipper (ordered as such), as its much less fuss in skydiving use with gearup and general use, as well as a bit more comfortable in fit.

I am having issues skydiving my Phoenix fly power onesie, with both the cutaway and reserve handles, on occasions, disappearing / moving to the inside of the suit. This is despite tying the zipper heads as close together as possible. The problem being that the base of the zippers can still extend open even though the zipper heads are secured. Not an ideal situation. If I was to stitch the bottom zipper in place as mccordia suggests, can the suit be taken on and off the rig without having to restitch every time? I love the suit to fly and Phoenix Fly wingsuits and track suits have been my preferred manufacturer for many years. I do believe however, that this current zip format has flaws in skydive use. Any input would be appreciated.

I did post on the Phoenix Fly website before posting here for input, however, unfortunately have not had a reply.

Edited by DaveL

3 hours ago, mccordia said:

All manufacturers currently use similar zipper system.

A simple solution is to fix the bottom zipper permanently with a few stitches.
This is not advice from any manufacturer. Just a solution I've used on my own purchased suits.

would a better solution be a reusable zip tie for the zipper?  if you put it under the handles it should keep them together.  you could even weave them under the handle through the little hole to keep them secure.  or is it something that needs to be released in an emergency?  i don't know anything about wingsuits.

5 hours ago, mccordia said:

This is not advice from any manufacturer. Just a solution I've used on my own purchased suits.

Would there be any issue with using a safety pin at the bottom of the zipper, rather than stitching it? This would make removal and attachment of the suit to the rig easier. Thankyou for your feedback.

On 1/17/2021 at 3:18 PM, DaveL said:

Would there be any issue with using a safety pin at the bottom of the zipper, rather than stitching it? This would make removal and attachment of the suit to the rig easier. Thankyou for your feedback.

Yea, you can do that. Another option is to cut the head off of the zipper and run cord through the zipper head. All WS manufacturers use locking zippers and the zipper locks and unlocks based on the position of the pull in the zipper head. If you cut the pull off, the zipper will lock solid and it shouldent move unless you pull on the cord that you thread through the head. Squirrel does this on their race suits and it works very well. Honestly, I think it should be standard on all advanced suits.

Would there be any issue with using a safety pin at the bottom of the zipper, rather than stitching it? This would make removal and attachment of the suit to the rig easier.

The bottom of the 2 zipper runners never needs to move or be undone. Only the top one.
Attaching both zippers together (instead of to the suit) still allows the zipper itself to run through, and create a bigger hole (even with the zipper heads close together).
Stitching the bottom zipper head to the zipper, locks one of the two zippers, making it impossible to create a large hole (through bending down, while wearing)

On 1/17/2021 at 3:17 PM, mccordia said:

Could you post a picture of your solution?