Douggarr

Vigil II maintenance question

I have a Vigil II DOM June 2010 that has been part of a voluntary recall. A couple of my fellow skydivers have this AOD of similar vintage and have already sent them to Fla./Belgium for maintenance. One said they simply updated the software and changed the battery (and made a couple of other fixes, no charge, like a cracked window). He only paid shipping both ways. Another said that they aged out his unit and said he needed to buy a new one. Just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with the Vigil II. 

I had one DOM Feb 2009 I sent in for the update + batteries (since the original vigil 2 says to replace batteries after 10 years and you can no longer source them for field replacement).

They updated it to a Quattro, replaced the control unit, and of course the batteries. Charged for the batteries. 

• Like 1

I sent my DOM 2009 in for maintenance at the beginning of 2019. Batteries were replaced, it was upgraded to Cuattro and the control unit was replaced. Cost me €95 which is the normal maintenance & battery replacement price.

Didn't pay shipping as I dropped it off and picked it up, I live 20 minutes from their factory.

It is great that Vigil upgrades seemingly every unit that goes in, to the Cuattro control head & new software. That brings a lot more Vigils more up to date -- There are some real differences between the old Vigil II software, and the newer stuff in the Vigil 2+ and Cuattro. (eg, the new 1000ft arming altitude on the climb up -- removing the door open restriction when not in Student mode).

But it would be easy to forget that such "new Cuattros" are actually franken-Vigils, with a different main body. (Eg, Vigil II has to be sent back in if the filter gets wet for a short while, not the case with the 2+ and Cuattro.)

The differences aren't important in most cases, but users and riggers should try to notice when a unit is half Vigil II and half Cuattro.

(edited)
4 hours ago, pchapman said:

The differences aren't important in most cases, but users and riggers should try to notice when a unit is half Vigil II and half Cuattro.

Serial number and DOM should be a dead giveaway.

Edited by padalcek
When filling out online RMA form you have a choice of which upgrade mode you wish them to do. Cuatro is selected by default, but you can change that to Multimode. Software and controller are upgraded regardless of that choice.

2 hours ago, padalcek said:

Serial number and DOM should be a dead giveaway.

Well, only if one knows what to look for. Do you have some numbers to share, without me searching? 

The manuals don't say, "This device was first introduced on date xxxx and with serial numbers of format yyyyy starting with number zzzzz"

On 11/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, ChrisHoward said:

https://www.vigil.aero/history

From my memory Vigil 2s started around SN:8000 and Vigil 2+ SN was around high 30-40000. Not sure from memory what SN the Cuatro kicked in.

Even without S/N: Vigil 2+ was introduced in 2014, so if yours has a DOM before that, (like mine from 2009) it's a Vigil 2.

I recently got my vigil back after the 10 year battery replacement and software update, and noticed the difference in the display unit, but just assumed it was basically the same unit.  So, they upgraded me to a Cuatro?  And did they keep the same cutter?  Is there anything I need to know about the new set up?  It seems about the same.  I've read up slightly on the Cuarto.  Does this also mean that I'm good for another 20 years with a battery replace at 10, or should I have the cutter replaced at some point?  

Just from what I've seen of rigging customers, Vigil has been upgrading control units and software whenever someone sends their unit in for the 10 year service. Very nice of them. Not sure about the cutter but I doubt it would change.

But the Vigil will only be good for the original life. Don't they put a sticker on the unit now, to make clear when it life expires? (Instead of having to find the paperwork or start going to the INFO screens.)

So people do end up with Franken-vigils with a different eras of body and control unit.

I guess for the body, if still a Vigil II, for example if the filter gets wet, according to a service bulletin, the unit has to be sent in for a check. (Wasn't that way originally, but I guess they had issues so issued the bulletin.)

I did recently email Vigil USA to ask if there are any other things people need to be aware of, when they have a Franken-vigil that has a Vigil II body but a Cuatro control head. Will post if I get a reply.

Yeah, do read up on the Cuatro. Some things changed over the life of the Vigil II and into the II+ and Cuatro era -- like the 14 hour shutoff being introduced, and the addition of a 1000 ft arming on the flight up (making it more like a Cypres, to prevent the door-open-firings that Vigil had a couple of). Those changes can be significant for the user!

I once posted a quick review of the 2+ versus the II when the former first appeared. The screen does some different flash when getting into airborne mode, and it displays freefall speed & time for 2 minutes after landing which it didn't before. The manual is also more extensive on altitude adjustments for different takeoff and landing spots, but I don't recall if behaviour is different.

Anyone else think of other notable differences a user should remember? (Don't own one myself but do rig for plenty of customers with them.)