1 1
JoeWeber

Reaction Points

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Forum specific, I'd say. I'm not sure I see too many similarities between Bonfire and Speakers Corner, for example.

Well, both are social forums with no real skydiving purpose other than fun.  Likewise, concatenating the topical forums would make sense for people trying to understand who is seen as a better contributor in the field of skydiving.

I'll ask if that's even a possibility.

35 minutes ago, billvon said:

Well, both are social forums with no real skydiving purpose other than fun.  Likewise, concatenating the topical forums would make sense for people trying to understand who is seen as a better contributor in the field of skydiving.

I'll ask if that's even a possibility.

I see that. Still, I'm not sure that folks who think a skydiving blog is a great place to look for an eye doctor or are interested in the "Three Problems Skydivers Face the Most" will pass the skydekker calling bullshit test. 

8 minutes ago, normiss said:

I had not noticed this place had become a popularity contest.

Now it feels like the constant challenge to get FuckedupBook to show me posts in a timely order versus a popularity order.

I don't really care, do you?

Now I feel bad because the record shows that you have given far more than you have received. This is starting to feel like Valentines Day in elementary school.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Oh dear. I’m a net taker :$

but I basically never use the like button in FB either; I think it’s stupid. 

Wendy P. 

<dislike> - just because I'm known to be a smart ass. Stop laughing, I know people know this.

8 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Oh dear. I’m a net taker :$

but I basically never use the like button in FB either; I think it’s stupid. 

Wendy P. 

I think associating agreement here when there is a specific commonality amongst the participants and the issues tend to be both topical and personal puts it on a different level than FB which is totally stupid. Kill the react system entirely for all I care, but it exists now. yoink made a valid point. I thought about it awhile and decided it made sense, hence the new topic. 

I will admit that I totally loved getting bumped up from 98 atta boys to 99 by someone I've blocked. So the system isn't entirely without value.

(edited)

If used properly the rep system can be a valid forum tool, allowing easy identification of useful posts or posters. See Reddit for example.

In this board all of the sub forums are specialties themselves and so (IMO) should have individualized reputation scores. A recently graduated student may well have absolutely fantastic posts in General Skydiving or Safety and Training for another beginner in progressing or facing mental challenges, but they have absolutely no place being seen as an expert to another newbie in the Gear and Rigging forum, for example. 

Both of those are under the wider 'Skydiving' topic.

I suspect it doesn't have a place in Speakers Corner. It's just too easy for it to be a 'vote for people with the same viewpoint as you' tool, rather than a 'this is a really interesting / well thought out post' one.

Edited by yoink

Maybe after 40 years of computer technology, databases, networking, and telecom, maybe I'm getting burnt out.

Aren't we generally just here to shoot the shit and chat? I don't take it that seriously. I don't need data points for barroom type conversations. I'll never be that deeply invested in the metrics.

There are a lot more important issues and activities than measured/ranked/valued casual conversation comparisons.

I just enjoy human interaction overall. It's very interesting and entertaining.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, JoeWeber said:

Recently yoink mentioned that reaction points (green merits) should be forum specific. I think that makes sense. Are there any valid reasons why not?

I put you up to 101.  

On 11/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, normiss said:

Maybe after 40 years of computer technology, databases, networking, and telecom, maybe I'm getting burnt out.

Aren't we generally just here to shoot the shit and chat? I don't take it that seriously. I don't need data points for barroom type conversations. I'll never be that deeply invested in the metrics.

There are a lot more important issues and activities than measured/ranked/valued casual conversation comparisons.

Exactly. I just saw the feature as a shortcut to saying ‘good post’. Less clutter on the threads. 

I’ve ‘liked’ posts that I totally disagreed with the outlook, but have thought they represented a considered opinion. Kind of like nodding your head or acknowledging someone in real life

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 11:03 PM, normiss said:

Careful - There are people here that have been blocked for less.

:o

Perhaps they take themselves to seriously?