metalslug

Too many connections ?

On 11/1/2019 at 2:39 AM, Administrator said:

t's a bit of an annoyance we've been dealing with related to the MySQL server. We are working with the hosts to determine the cause and fix any future occurrences.

this is still happening. is there a fix planned?

i looked into it a little, but couldn't find much specific about it, other than to raise the limit of concurrent connections.  ms sql has a limit of 32767 connections on a windows server, but i couldn't find anything specific on mysql, other than linux servers are limited to 1024 concurrent connections.  honestly, it sounds like a bandwidth issue.  since dz.com lost popularity, it may be that the bandwidth was decreased for some reason (not necessarily by you) and now needs increased, at least during peak times.  that is all just a guess though and i've been wrong before.

2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

honestly, it sounds like a bandwidth issue. 

no it doesn't sound like that to me. bandwidth issues usually result in things running slow, taking too long to load etc. this problem is not like that.

if the result is a database connection issue, then it does seem to be persistent for some time. I don't know how number of database connections relate to how many users are making requests. 

i am not that familiar with databases, but have been a network guy for years now.  researching this has led me to find that in mysql, the max number of connections is defaulted at 151, but can be increased to the limit of the os, and linux was listed as having 1024 max.  it didn't give the max for windows and that took a lot to find.  turns out that it depends on the number of cpu cores and amount of ram and that is is theoretically limited to 26+ billion connections but ms sql is limited to 32767 connections, but that isn't mysql.  after researching further, it looks like it may be reaching an os limit if hosted on a linux server instead of a windows server.