turtlespeed

Math is now racist

I heard "Some People" saying math was racist - so I wondered who it was that said that thing.

Evidently CNN is the most vocal.

but The Chicago Tribune also had an article on it.

That's right, all you great math scholars and physicists have been utilizing Racist Tools to perform your craft.

<SMFH>

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/sns-tns-bc-edu-math-racist-20191010-story.html

Edited by turtlespeed

Math isn’t racist. Teaching it in a single way, and expecting everyone in class to learn the same way, may not have racist intentions, but it may have racially biased results. 

Just because something worked for one person doesn’t make it perfect. Even if that person is you or me.

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billvon said:

No they haven't, and no, the article doesn't say that.  (SMH)

Agreed on both.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Math isn’t racist. Teaching it in a single way, and expecting everyone in class to learn the same way, may not have racist intentions, but it may have racially biased results. 

Just because something worked for one person doesn’t make it perfect. Even if that person is you or me.

Wendy P. 

I believe this can cause more harm than good. A generation from now someone will be trotting this out as the new reason for the difference in success rates; "We were taught differently !" and thereby discriminated/disadvantaged or may certainly claim to be.  Lest we forget how IQ testing methods and outcome studies have been accused of racism.

The article mentions that English scores were likewise also notably different and alluded to additional subjects as sub-par. To me this is more suggestive of the quality of general education and/or the diligence of the student, possibly affected by socio-economic factors and certainly not exclusively a mathematics education problem.

Even if we assume a worst-case causality that a genetic component exists I don't believe it should carry quite such a strong stigma. The traits discussed are not the full measure of a person's worth or ability to succeed in society. My math will never be as good as some academics on this forum and I'm fine with that. Having limited natural ability in the subjects that we typically measure can still get you appointed (or elected) to hold office in many countries. xD

15 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I heard "Some People" saying math was racist - so I wondered who it was that said that thing.

Evidently CNN is the most vocal.

but The Chicago Tribune also had an article on it.

That's right, all you great math scholars and physicists have been utilizing Racist Tools to perform your craft.

<SMFH>

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/sns-tns-bc-edu-math-racist-20191010-story.html

So predictable it is almost funny. Wonder what Turtle's next mis-representation will be. With Rush apparently gone are you going to take over his MO? Posting articles that don't say what you claim they say....

7 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

So predictable it is almost funny. Wonder what Turtle's next mis-representation will be. With Rush apparently gone are you going to take over his MO? Posting articles that don't say what you claim they say....

Is white privilege racist?

https://dailycaller.com/2017/10/23/professor-claims-math-algebra-and-geometry-promote-white-privilege/

42 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

This could actually be an extremely fascinating and interesting topic to explore: At the end of the linked article they quote, what I believe is the very core credo of post-modernism, that is at the root of all these issues:

“Things cannot be known objectively; they must be known subjectively.”

Many think that this is a very dangerous and destructive idea, and it leads to all kinds of craziness. Personally, I think it has its roots in some valid observations, but it certainly creates major problems, if taken to the extreme (Yes, there is always a subjective filter in any knowledge--noticing that filter and correcting for it can be a valid undertaking--BUT: completely getting rid of the idea of objectively verifiable truth--even if that truth may later be replaced by a "more true" truth--such as in scientific advancements--would be a terrible mistake, in my opinion)

Unfortunately, the discussion rarely goes beyond the polarized nature of right-left politics, since the right has weaponized the term "social justice warrior" (and "post-modernism") as much as the left has weaponized the term "racist".

47 minutes ago, kallend said:

"A University of Illinois math professor...."

The very first statement is a lie (as expected from the Daily Caller).  She is an education professor.

That's not really important.  What's important is how the "news" article makes you feel.  

33 minutes ago, billvon said:

That's not really important.  What's important is how the "news" article makes you feel.  

Depends on how you read it.  I think Kallend was simply reminding us, and rightfully so, that you can't trust what you learn from and education professor.

27 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

that you can't trust what you learn from and education professor.

Hi Joe,

You can learn a lot from an education professor.  Probably not a lot about math, though.

Sort of like, one does not go to their dentist regarding a problem with an ear infection.

Jerry Baumchen

An MIT Computer Science / Computer Math Professor taught me alcoholic based computer math.

Thankfully, when we went through the octal/base 8 portion, we used the mini 8 pack beers for lessons.

:D

I did a LOT of studying.

Hex was tall boys.

It worked very well for those of us that could relate.

I've always been impressed and more focused with an instructor that could connect with the students to adjust the lessons so they could relate to the subject.

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Its an idea - and considering the merits of that particular idea, brings it more into being, and thus, racist.

Yes, it is racist, since it grants privilege based on race.  This program (and many others) talk about that and how to combat it.