1 1
RyanAnk

Jumping with different insulin pumps

Hey everyone. I know there’s a few different topics on type 1 diabetic jumpers and insulin pumps but I want to start one and hear info specifically on jumping with your pump still attached, and what pump you have. I currently have a minimed paradigm 751 and I haven’t worn it in freefall yet, I’m worried about the rapid pressure changes with liquids in enclosed spaces. Does anyone else jump with this specific pump? If you don’t have this one, which one do you jump with? Do you have any weird stories of getting extra insulin In freefall from the pressure change and going low from it? Medtronic can’t give me a direct answer if skydiving will affect the way the pump functions. Seems to be a bit foreign to them. 

thanks for your input!! 

Hi Ryan! Fellow T1D here with a 670G. I'm at 475 jumps and all but a handful are with my pump attached.  I've done up to 10 jumps in a day, avg is 5 and never noticed or had issues that stand out from background noise or packing exertion.  I use temp target to keep my BG above 150 and take carbs as needed. Early on I tried to not wear it but found my bg was more unstable from not having insulin delivery for long periods (gearing up, dirt diving, waiting for tandems to board :) etc)  I'm an ambassador for Medtronic and wearing the pump at "high altitude" is "off label" for them so they would say not to do it. Hope that helps and LMK if you have other questions!  On a side note where do you jump? I know a couple other T1s and we are talking about a world record T1D jump someday LOL.

John

That’s awesome to hear it works well for you. I haven’t done anything past a hop n pop with mine attached yet so I think I’ll give it a shot soon! My sugars are pretty unstable for the exact same reasons as you were saying after disconnecting and waiting to board. I jump at Skydive the Falls up in NY! I’d love to be a part of a huge T1D jump!! I have another t1 friend from PA who would love to be a part of that too. 

Adding some updates in case any t1s end up on it. 

been jumping my t:slim now for over 250 jumps and have had 0 issues. Works great and helps keep my sugar stable on busy jumping days. Highly recommend using adjusted basal rates if you keep going low, just my own personal experience!