1 1
kallend

Yet Another Mass Shooting

18 hours ago, normiss said:

Only America. Thoughts and prayers for innocent dead people. Only to be followed by the right to have more innocent dead people.

While trying to claim to be a christian nation.

That's god damn laughable. Except for the innocent dead people anyway.

America is the most deadly nation on the planet.

I guess you watched Joe Biden to get your information

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7tA3ifZIs

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Must have been an “assault rifle” right?

I'm not sure why the type of weapon used to kill innocent people matters, semi-auto handguns fire pretty rapidly too, which makes the potential for a large number of fatalities rather similar to assault style weapons.

Personally never really understood the desire to own assault style rifles. I've always preferred revolvers, shotguns, and semi-autos.

9 hours ago, normiss said:

I'm not sure why the type of weapon used to kill innocent people matters, semi-auto handguns fire pretty rapidly too, which makes the potential for a large number of fatalities rather similar to assault style weapons.

Personally never really understood the desire to own assault style rifles. I've always preferred revolvers, shotguns, and semi-autos.

Personal preferences are just that.

11 hours ago, normiss said:

That depends on what your goal is.  If we're talking about school shootings then a kid shot in the chest with a .223 vs 9mm is going to have the same outcome so it doesn't matter what the gun is if you can deliver the same magazine size as fast as you can pull the trigger.

The desire to ban "assault weapons" has its foundation in the ability of those weapons to inflict lethal damage to as many people as possible in a short amount of time. They possess a combination of power, magazine size and trigger speed.  If you remove any single one of those characteristics you're back at a hunting rifle.  For gun crimes the issue is the ease of obtaining handguns.  The use of other weapons is not as prevalent because their size makes them inherently more difficult to conceal for the purposes of crime.  Handgun wounds are more survivable but in relative terms not by much.

So, in the real world will banning "assault rifles" stop mass shootings?  Not in our lifetime.  100 years from now their availability would be about as prevalent as fully automatic weapons are now which were severely restricted starting about 100 years ago.  So, the goal to ban "assault rifles" is because their lethality and purpose is one fully-auto switch away from an M-16.  The goal to restrict access to handguns is because of their ease of use in crimes.

I also don't get he fascination with the AR-15.  They suck at hunting and they're not appreciably better for home defense than a shotgun or handgun (Yes Brenthutch, I know you could tear up a course).  I prefer a shotgun because when the first boom goes off everyone knows that's the sound of your flesh turning into hamburger, my friends mostly like handguns.  Everyone wants to say that it's an American Right to have that gun, fundamental to upholding the 2nd Ammendment.  Ok, so your Grand Dad passed down his AR15 to your Dad and now you have it?  Nope, it wasn't even manufactured until the 60's and didn't even become popular until recent decades when it became a political symbol.  Up until then everyone felt their 2nd Ammendment was protected just fine and they only owned a collection of rifles, handguns and shotguns.

Edited by DJL

12 hours ago, normiss said:

Just what is an assault "style" rifle?  FYI, I am just like you.  I only own semi auto, bolt and pump action firearms, so no anatomical deficiency here.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

I also don't get he fascination with the AR-15.  They suck at hunting and they're not appreciably better for home defense than a shotgun or handgun 

I cant speak for others, but I like the AR platform because I am familiar with it.  I can assemble/disassemble with my eyes closed, I can clear a (rare) malfunction in a matter of seconds.  It is ergonomic, accurate, light weight and low recoil (in 5.56).  I have the ability to swap out the upper receiver and change calibers/barrel length/optics in a matter of seconds.  Not to mention the massive after market for any number of upgrades.  I agree with you that a shotgun makes a better home defense choice.  That said I like my PCC (pistol caliber carbine) for that role.  It is smaller and more maneuverable that a shotgun, has an integrated flashlight/strobe and the 9mm round has as much power as a 357 magnum when fired from a 16 inch barrel.  As far as hunting goes, tell these guys that it sucks

https://time.com/4390506/gun-control-ar-15-semiautomatic-rifles/

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

As far as hunting goes, tell these guys that it sucks

https://time.com/4390506/gun-control-ar-15-semiautomatic-rifles/

Yeah, there are a bunch of guys out there who will swear that the AR-15 is a great hunting rifle but it's really just a varmit and pig killer.  You need to be a really fuckin' good shot to use it for anything larger than a goat or else you're tracking a wounded animal going through a miserable death.  The guy they reference shooting elk in the article is a firearms instructor and he took the animals at 300 yd with a head shot.  The other guy rechambers to a .277.  So these guys aren't your typical bubbas.  Additionally, if you need 13 follow-up shots you really shouldn't be there to begin with and should just enjoy a day at home eating crayons.

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Just what is an assault "style" rifle?  FYI, I am just like you.  I only own semi auto, bolt and pump action firearms, so no anatomical deficiency here.

We could say we're just talking about the scary looks of it - it's black, has accessory slides, flash suppressor, folding stock, curved clip, No Fear stickers, etc.  BUT the context of the conversation is something designed with a combination of high power round, large magazine capacity and high rate of fire that makes it best suited to kill as many humans in the shortest possible time-frame.  Remove any one of those three and you're back at a hunting rifle.  Although nobody is going to make a bolt action rifle with a banana clip.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Don’t forget the barrel shroud.

BTW it is called a magazine, not a clip and rail, not slide.  

Banana clip taped to another banana clip so you can switch to a new clip! (Nevermind that you just bent your shit to hell and got dirt jammed in it the second you had to get low).  Yup, that clip is the basic cliche, the video clip not the banana clip.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Everyone wants to say that it's an American Right to have that gun, fundamental to upholding the 2nd Ammendment.  Ok, so your Grand Dad passed down his AR15 to your Dad and now you have it?  Nope, it wasn't even manufactured until the 60's and didn't even become popular until recent decades when it became a political symbol.  Up until then everyone felt their 2nd Ammendment was protected just fine and they only owned a collection of rifles, handguns and shotguns.

They are great for hog hunting.

The stigma is not necessarily the AR-15 it's self.

The stigma is about being told "No."

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

They are great for hog hunting.

The stigma is not necessarily the AR-15 it's self.

The stigma is about being told "No."

Funny you said that.  When the original assault rifle ban was making its way through Congress, I bought a SKS for that very reason.

36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Funny you said that.  When the original assault rifle ban was making its way through Congress, I bought a SKS for that very reason.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

So, as long as you don't convert it to full auto it's not "assault style"? 

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I will give a hint, the top one is black, has a free float barrel (barrel shroud to you lefties), high capacity magazine (clip) folding stock, flash hider and rail system.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

More Brentercize. "assault style", remember? You don't believe the black weapon is assault style in the context of not just the thread but your own posts? 

23 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I will give a hint, the top one is black, has a free float barrel (barrel shroud to you lefties), high capacity magazine (clip) folding stock, flash hider and rail system.

What type of ammo?  Is it semi-auto?

Edit:  I realize you're doing the "libtards are scared of scary things" and trying to say that's what the definition is about but there are three elements: magazine capacity, ammo type, rate of fire.   Your hello kitty AK-47 semi-auto with a clown nose silencer and a little glass vase for flowers like they used to put inside VW's is an "Assault Rifle", Assault "Style" Firearm, whatever you want to change the combination of words to.

Edited by DJL