1 1
kallend

Yet Another Mass Shooting

7 hours ago, DJL said:

You're not offending me.  Again, I want to backhand people when they defer to wanting to just leave it to Jesus or say that something was God's will.

This man Prayed every day - EVERY DAY - to win the lottery.

Every Day and sometimes twice a day!

When he finally met his maker, the man voiced his disgruntlement, reminding God that at least once every day, he prayed to win the lottery.

God said to the man, "I tried to answer your prayers on numerous occasions . . .You should have bought a ticket."

9 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Have you ever considered that God was protecting his flock with an armed security team?  It reminds me of the joke where a man, trapped by a flooding river, turns down help from a firetruck, saying "god will save me", then turns down help from a boat, again saying "god will save me".  Finally the man, trapped on the roof of his quickly flooding house, turns away a rescue helicopter, saying "god will save me".  The man ultimately drowns.  He is before God at the pearly gates and asks. "God why didn't you save me?"  to which God replies "I sent a firetruck, a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

I haven't considered that, because it's absurd. Jokes aside, when people really die in floods there generally wasn't enough help to save them.

16 hours ago, normiss said:

I'll add it to yet another reason to avoid church.

I have zero desire to be in a combat environment in my civilian life.

This isn't how life should be lived.

I’ve never been in the military, but I have experienced shooting with adrenaline/stress while hunting and seen how difficult it is to hit the target.

Its actually very lucky that there were not more injuries or fatalities with reports of multiple people drawing weapons. Shit even the police miss often enough

20 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

No, I hadn't, and nothing about it reminds me of a joke. That's not to say it isn't all a total joke, in particular your comment that your Almighty, Omniscient, all seeing God needed to farm out church security to an armed team like the one Ron is on at his Church. 

Sorry to offend you DJL, I very much respect you and your views, but it's these sorts of inane defenses and comments that make the whole thing so risible. 

Christians understand that man cannot make the world totally safe and at peace. It is a spiritual battle as I have pointed out on several occasions.

BTW, North GA is definitely not the place for you. You might check out Milwaukee, San Francisco or Portlandia.

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

Christians understand that man cannot make the world totally safe and at peace. It is a spiritual battle as I have pointed out on several occasions.

BTW, North GA is definitely not the place for you. You might check out Milwaukee, San Francisco or Portlandia.

Yet other countries have a type of legislation and culture in place that doesn't result in as many guns on the street and incidents like this.  Let's just stop saying that religion has anything to do with it, I think we've all cited enough examples and metaphors and jokes about how it has zero to do with religion, God's plan, or Christian understanding.

22 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I’ve never been in the military, but I have experienced shooting with adrenaline/stress while hunting and seen how difficult it is to hit the target.

Its actually very lucky that there were not more injuries or fatalities with reports of multiple people drawing weapons. Shit even the police miss often enough

Don't even get me started on Storm Troopers!!

1 hour ago, kallend said:

There's a scene in the latest Star Wars movie that basically parodies the inability of storm troopers to hit anything. 

There are scenes in virtually every American-made movie or TV show highlighting the bad marksmanship of bad guys, and the good marksmanship of good guys :P

And I really am still not enthused with the new emoticons

Wendy P. 

(edited)
On 12/30/2019 at 5:57 AM, JoeWeber said:

Stop making it so complicated. God loves all of his children equally. But that certainly doesn't mean he likes them all equally. Maybe they were assholes who shorted the bake sale one too many times. You never know, it's just mysterious.

May I make a musical suggestion?

Try listening to Paul Thorn’s song “I don’t like all the people I love.”

Edited by riggerrob
Changed a word

12 hours ago, kallend said:

There's a scene in the latest Star Wars movie that basically parodies the inability of storm troopers to hit anything. 

I recently made the mistake of wasting time watching "John Wick"(2014).

Apparently, Russian mobsters are just as bad.

On 1/1/2020 at 7:05 AM, wmw999 said:

There are scenes in virtually every American-made movie or TV show highlighting the bad marksmanship of bad guys, and the good marksmanship of good guys :P

And I really am still not enthused with the new emoticons

Wendy P. 

I thought of you yesterday, Wendy.

I visited the Ft Worth Museum of science and History.

They had a couple of memory boards, (the hand woven ones), on display.

I know that wasn't directly related to you and your work - but you were in my thoughts.

Related image

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I thought of you yesterday, Wendy.

I visited the Ft Worth Museum of science and History.

They had a couple of memory boards, (the hand woven ones), on display.

I know that wasn't directly related to you and your work - but you were in my thoughts.

Related image

All the data analysis for my PhD dissertation (50 years ago this year) was done on a computer with boards like that.  Time flies!

(edited)
13 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

We have some truly remarkable people here in this forum.

I have my own museum piece in my basement:  Apple II computer, serial number 567.  Hasn't been turned on in 25 years and it was obsolete then, but it's all there.

Edited by kallend

Just now, kallend said:

I have my own museum piece in my basement:  Apple II computer, serial number 567.  Hasn't been turned on in 25 years but it's all there.

In my mom's attic, I still have this - 

I learned to program Basic on it.  It had 4k of memory and was able to be expanded to 15k.

Storage was a cassette tape.

Related image

2 hours ago, kallend said:

All the data analysis for my PhD dissertation (50 years ago this year) was done on a computer with boards like that.  Time flies!

One of the first computers I worked on, Sperry Univac UYK-7, had toroidal ferrimagnetic ceramic ferrite core memory.

The regular joke was the old ladies required to stitch them together at the factory during production.

Core dumps were a bit of a giggle as well.

What I found most interesting was the UYK-7 was physically and technically a 16 bit machine, but used half words in the registers so as to function as a 32 bit machine.

Nowhere near as challenging as the UYK-20 with a processor emulator though.

It's been awhile since this thread had a new post. That's the good news. The bad news is that there are people in Milwaukee in need of some Ts and Ps from some politicians and all of us as well. I was just there yesterday morning getting a reload. (Milwaukee that is, not Molson Coors)

Edited by gowlerk

58 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It's been awhile since this thread had a new post.

Ya, because many people don't care about the mass shootings in the inner city that happen practically everyday unless they can find some political spin to promote their cause. . .

Edit:  Damn, I keep posting with my Triple E Coreeece "sockpuppet."  I was going to delete him from my auto logins, but I kind of like the way that rolls off the tongue. . .tripoly coreeece

Edited by Coreeece

8 minutes ago, Coreeece said:

Ya, because many people don't care about the mass shootings in the inner city that happen practically everyday unless they can find some political spin to promote their cause. . .

When I post in the stupid accident threads I don't usually post the ones I find about inner city shootouts gone wrong. They are accidental victims, but the trigger has been pulled on purpose. But you have a point. Those are actually the majority of the reported accidental shootings. As far as political points go these incidents are the direct result of "liberal" gun laws. See, you like liberalism sometimes. There is hardly anything in the world of law more inherently liberal than the 2nd amendment to the US constitution.

Only America. Thoughts and prayers for innocent dead people. Only to be followed by the right to have more innocent dead people.

While trying to claim to be a christian nation.

That's god damn laughable. Except for the innocent dead people anyway.

America is the most deadly nation on the planet.