2 2
jimjumper

California Gun Idiocy

Effective 1 July, CA ammunition purchasers must pass a background check. It was intended to that an instant background check, at a $1 per purchase cost, based on the CA gun owners database would allow same time purchases. If an individual was not in the database a manual check would be done at a $19 cost and could take up to a week. 

So, of course, CA wasn't able to get it right! I tried to purchase ammo today and was denied since I am not in the CA system. No big deal, do the long check, get my ammo in week, right? Maybe. I just applied for the long check and discovered that the approval, even if granted, only applies to a single ammunition purchase! If you have not purchased a firearm in CA since 2014 you will not be in the database and an approval to purchase ammunition does NOT get you entered in the database. So each time I purchase ammo I will have to pay for a $19 background check irregardless of how much I buy. And what is the solution? Buy more guns! A gun purchase gets your background check info into the database and specific ammunition type sales are not matched to the weapon on file. I dropped my NRA membership years ago because I didn't agree with some of the things they were defending but this silliness has made me rethink my views on having a gun rights group represent me. By the way, I was only purchasing a single box (12 rounds) of .38 snake shot for pest control on my ranch. So far, my total is $14.50 for the rounds and $21 for the background check... 

17 minutes ago, jimjumper said:

Effective 1 July, CA ammunition purchasers must pass a background check. It was intended to that an instant background check, at a $1 per purchase cost, based on the CA gun owners database would allow same time purchases. If an individual was not in the database a manual check would be done at a $19 cost and could take up to a week. 

So, of course, CA wasn't able to get it right! I tried to purchase ammo today and was denied since I am not in the CA system. No big deal, do the long check, get my ammo in week, right? Maybe. I just applied for the long check and discovered that the approval, even if granted, only applies to a single ammunition purchase! If you have not purchased a firearm in CA since 2014 you will not be in the database and an approval to purchase ammunition does NOT get you entered in the database. So each time I purchase ammo I will have to pay for a $19 background check irregardless of how much I buy. And what is the solution? Buy more guns! A gun purchase gets your background check info into the database and specific ammunition type sales are not matched to the weapon on file. I dropped my NRA membership years ago because I didn't agree with some of the things they were defending but this silliness has made me rethink my views on having a gun rights group represent me. By the way, I was only purchasing a single box (12 rounds) of .38 snake shot for pest control on my ranch. So far, my total is $14.50 for the rounds and $21 for the background check... 

Sounds like a scheme the NRA would approve though. Motivates people to buy guns.

21 minutes ago, jimjumper said:

That's only slightly more painful than tire disposal fees.

Huh.

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

They will find a way.

Micro chips in spent casings is coming.:D

Well they do want micro stamping in handguns. That will be fun trying to match up the casing to the gun it was fired out of after its been reloaded 20 times and shot out of many different guns.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, BartsDaddy said:

Well they do want micro stamping in handguns. That will be fun trying to match up the casing to the gun it was fired out of after its been reloaded 20 times and shot out of many different guns.

Well then - more gun law is needed so that doesn't happen!!

They will require you to retro fit, or buy a new reloader, with a wireless device, and a GPS locator, Biometric scanner, and counter, that you have to install on your existing reloader, that sends data to a collector for analysis.

Number - Caliber - Time - casing id number - reload number - 

Unreadable casing numbers will be rejected and stamped as defective so that the ammo inspector that was just notified of your activities can have you come in and verify your submission of casings for recycling.  Its just a small $20 fee everytime you are called in.  There will be a random inventory check at your place of reloading, and a GPS on the reloader, for a minor fee of $250 per visit.

Then they will make the gun manufacturers make the weapon stamp an id number during each firing onto the casing.

All criminals will be required to register their weapons for the new stamping device.

The above methods will ONLY - I repeat - ONLY - be used to disqualify any legal gun owner if there is a crime prevented.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Give me liberty - or give me liberal gun control!

Edited by turtlespeed

26 minutes ago, BartsDaddy said:

Except the micro stamping would be on the firing pin, which strikes the primer, which is not re-usable.....

Derek V

I did some checking and you can also get entered into the background check database if you register a gun that was purchased before registration was required. I’ll just put that at the top of my “to do” list. I wonder what happens if your background check isn’t approved? Will the police come and confiscate it? 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, jimjumper said:

I did some checking and you can also get entered into the background check database if you register a gun that was purchased before registration was required. I’ll just put that at the top of my “to do” list. I wonder what happens if your background check isn’t approved? Will the police come and confiscate it? 

They will likely charge you with unlawful possession.

We are talking about California, after all.

Edited by turtlespeed

Further update. I was approved after 3 days and I picked up my box of snake shot today. I asked the gun store salespeople how to get on the approved background check list and their solution was interesting. Buy an AR15 lower receiver! A polymer AR15 lower, which is the registered component of an AR15, can be purchased for $40. Since it is serialized, it has to be registered and a background check done for purchase. They didn't recommend buying the parts to complete the weapon since polymer recievers aren't very durable but it gets you thru the background check and on the approved list at the least possible cost. They said it makes an excellent and unusual paperweight. Seems that AR15 sales are climbing in CA...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimjumper said:

Further update. I was approved after 3 days and I picked up my box of snake shot today. I asked the gun store salespeople how to get on the approved background check list and their solution was interesting. Buy an AR15 lower receiver! A polymer AR15 lower, which is the registered component of an AR15, can be purchased for $40. Since it is serialized, it has to be registered and a background check done for purchase. They didn't recommend buying the parts to complete the weapon since polymer recievers aren't very durable but it gets you thru the background check and on the approved list at the least possible cost. They said it makes an excellent and unusual paperweight. Seems that AR15 sales are climbing in CA...

Yup, that's a stupid system alright.

13 minutes ago, chutem said:

Paperweight? If this Polymer lower is not kept locked away in your safe and you have kids you could be charged with improper storage of a firearm.

I'd like to see how that would happen.

A stripped lower is a LONG way from a functional firearm. It's not like you could slap an upper on, push the pins in and be ready to shoot.

You'd need at minimum, hammer, trigger (plus springs & pins), buffer tube, buffer & recoil spring. Plus an upper & pins for that.

Pistol grip, safety and ejection port cover (along with all the pins & springs & stuff for those) to complete it.

I think the real problem with using it as a paperweight is the weight (or more accurately, lack of it). The attraction of the polymer stuff is how light it is.

I'd have to have a lawyer read the CA laws to know exactly how it's written to be sure. Is the lower considered the firearm? Was the firearm left where kids could get it? Could you be charged for this if CA gets a wild hair?

Of course it was meant as humor poking at CA gun/bullet laws, guess it needed a smiley.

50 minutes ago, chutem said:

I'd have to have a lawyer read the CA laws to know exactly how it's written to be sure. Is the lower considered the firearm? Was the firearm left where kids could get it? Could you be charged for this if CA gets a wild hair?

Of course it was meant as humor poking at CA gun/bullet laws, guess it needed a smiley.

While I agree it probably wouldn't result in a charge. I could see some DA here in California with an agenda bankrupt somebody in court fighting the charge. All the while knowing it wouldn't pass muster.