2 2
iranianjumper

AFF instructor course

Presuming you meet the requirements to take the course, my understanding is that fall rate range (ability to fall faster or slower) and ability to fly very close to others are at or near the top of the list.

Disclaimer: Not an instructor, but I've observed AFFI courses a number of times, and had some fun discussions with the instructor candidates.

• Like 1

In addition to what Joe said, do some jumps working on belly exits.  Exits and funnel recovery are very important skills for AFF instructors, as students routinely screw up the exit.  Practice spin stop and roll over techniques if you can find an experienced AFF instructor to jump with you.

Tunnel time is great for working on flying close, fall rate and spin stops. I don't know if roll overs can be practiced there.

Hot tip for the course is to bring several jumpsuits - a fast suit and a slow suit at the minimum - and weights if you might need them.  Dress for success - you might need a slower or faster suit to stay with the evaluator.   

• Like 1

This has been discussed on here before, so if you can find the other thread you'll see more suggestions. But yeah, know what the experience requirements are for your country and how well you meet those. Also, a question is what kind of flying do you normally do, belly or freeflying? Freeflying skills can certainly help in some instances, but it's primarily a belly flying game.

Especially if you're normally a freeflyer, this is what I'd suggest:

All of the above, plus - 

It's been said by a lot of old-schoolers, myself included, that a great training ground for AFF is 4-way. Find 3 like-minded people and start a 4-way team. Doesn't matter about actually competing, just practice that discipline of skydiving. You'll get current/proficient at linked exits, piece flying, close-proximity slot flying, and other belly skills that you'll use in AFF, and do so in a relaxed, fun manner that doesn't feel like you're burning a lot of money and jumps on 'training'. Then, when you're closer to taking the course, get coaching in AFF specific skills like botched exits, spin stops, rollovers and what-not. You can do some of that in the tunnel, but the tunnel negates the reality that you sometimes have to chase unruly students across the sky or through fall-rate variations.

Good luck.

• Like 2