brenthutch

Economics is a harsh mistress

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Blended whiskeys taste far better, that's why they blend them.

No, the vast majority of the time they blend them because it’s cheaper and easier. There are some excellent pure malt blended whiskies around but mostly it is done so they can use a bit of Malt whiskey and a lot of grain spirit to make a bottle of something that can still pass as whiskey.

And there are plenty of single malts or pure malt blends that are far sweeter, smokier, mellower and just plain easier to drink than a Grouse. They’re not just big peaty punches in the face.

49 minutes ago, jakee said:

No, the vast majority of the time they blend them because it’s cheaper and easier. There are some excellent pure malt blended whiskies around but mostly it is done so they can use a bit of Malt whiskey and a lot of grain spirit to make a bottle of something that can still pass as whiskey.

And there are plenty of single malts or pure malt blends that are far sweeter, smokier, mellower and just plain easier to drink than a Grouse. They’re not just big peaty punches in the face.

Oh yes, Oban comes to mind as an easy to like drink. I was raised to drink Ballantines because my dad kept it in the house. Making it our house brand I guess. I understand that malt whiskey is harder and can be more expensive to make than that from other grains. But like I said, they are all poison, they taste like poison, and the only real difference is that some are slightly less horrible tasting than others. All whiskey tastes bad.

46 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Oh yes, Oban comes to mind as an easy to like drink. I was raised to drink Ballantines because my dad kept it in the house. Making it our house brand I guess. I understand that malt whiskey is harder and can be more expensive to make than that from other grains. But like I said, they are all poison, they taste like poison, and the only real difference is that some are slightly less horrible tasting than others. All whiskey tastes bad.

Come on . . . admit it  . . . . you are a White Fang guy now, aren't you?

:DxD

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

You know, be it that we Americans are this or that to now pontificating that all whiskies taste bad, I have to say Ken, you're getting a tad tedious.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

You know, be it that we Americans are this or that to now pontificating that all whiskies taste bad, I have to say Ken, you're getting a tad tedious.

Let it be known that I am trying hard to cultivate my taste and tolerance of poison whiskey. Oak tree you're in my way.

24 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Any progress on your tolerance of Americans?

I love Americans! I even have American cousins, aunts and uncles. Just don't try to pour me any of the Kentucky Bourbon. I'll drink American wine though. Even if it's from Oregon.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, jakee said:

True. Blends don't generally have the depth of character and finish that single malts do. There are a very small number of notable exceptions but there are so many amazing single malts then really why bother. I save the blends for hot toddys, people who want to put coke in it, and cooking.

On the other hand I just cracked a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet. Happy New Year everyone!