2 2
normiss

WWIII???

Over the weekend, State and Energy Dept officials were quietly reviewing plans for evacuating 50 nuclear weapons that the US had long stored, under American control, at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey.

I don't yet know how many insane POTUS threads we have, need, or understand how to even consider sorting them. So I started a new one.

Until this reckless disaster of a human landed in DC, I had never feared for our country and humanity.

I have always felt safe here. I no longer do.

The current administration is fully invested in destroying the great nation, while lining their selfish pockets.

• Like 2

(edited)

I’m hoping that no one is stupid enough to start WWIII, but I can see a Russian-backed Syrian invasion of Turkey happening. NATO gets involved and the US pulls out of NATO while Syria gets hung out to dry.

Putin would be perfectly happy with that outcome.

Edited by yoink

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Over the weekend, State and Energy Dept officials were quietly reviewing plans for evacuating 50 nuclear weapons that the US had long stored, under American control, at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey.

Eh, Pakistan and North Korea continue to be worse threats.  After what Trump has pulled over the past months, I wouldn't be surprised if the military starts refusing his unlawful orders.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Eh, Pakistan and North Korea continue to be worse threats.  After what Trump has pulled over the past months, I wouldn't be surprised if the military starts refusing his unlawful orders.

You should be surprised. The Christian right owns our military just as they now own the DOJ and State Department. 

23 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You should be surprised. The Christian right owns our military just as they now own the DOJ and State Department. 

Perhaps.  But I have heard a refreshing number of retired generals and other military leaders speaking out against Trump's blunders.  So they don't own it 100%.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, billvon said:

Perhaps.  But I have heard a refreshing number of retired generals and other military leaders speaking out against Trump's blunders.  So they don't own it 100%.

Like Mattis? He's avoiding questions while shilling his book. In any case they own the officer cadre and the ranks. Not 100%, obviously. But don't believe for a second that our military will save us from this clusterfuck, anymore than the judiciary for that matter. Gott ist nicht mit uns.

Edited by JoeWeber

Reading through the above leads me to believe that you are advocating the possibility of SHTF. 

We live in a sinful world and we all inherited sin. Jesus Christ paid the eternal price for your inheritance. He alone is the atonement. Whatever happens, Jesus Christ is the gateway to eternal life. Faith is the opposite of fear.

Trust the Lord but be prepared.

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

Reading through the above leads me to believe that you are advocating the possibility of SHTF. 

We live in a sinful world and we all inherited sin. Jesus Christ paid the eternal price for your inheritance. He alone is the atonement. Whatever happens, Jesus Christ is the gateway to eternal life. Faith is the opposite of fear.

Atheists are better christians than evangelicals.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, yoink said:

I’m hoping that no one is stupid enough to start WWIII, but I can see a Russian-backed Syrian invasion of Turkey happening. NATO gets involved and the US pulls out of NATO while Syria gets hung out to dry.

Putin would be perfectly happy with that outcome.

Russia isn't interested in invading Turkey, they're interested in Turkey losing interest in NATO and becoming more accommodating to Russian.  Turkey is a NATO faction between them and their interests in the Middle East and the Med who just received Russia's missile defense system, there's no way they'd let Syria invade.

3 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

How do your “Christian” buddies feel about Trump’s betrayal of the Christian Kurds to the Muslim Turks?  Seems like the action of a Judas to me, with his business interests in Turkey counting as the pieces of silver. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

When I took my oath of enlistment, I chose to use the word "Affirm" rather than "swear" and omitted the "So help me god" at the conclusion of it.  My wife administered the oath, because she was active duty and we had planned to leave those parts out.  When we got to the end, there was a palpable tension in the room, and my XO was looking at me with feverish anticipation of what wasn't to come.  After a very pregnant pause, he quietly said "So help me god," as if I had simply forgotten.  At that point I realized that the military was no place for an atheist.  The reprisal that would come if I had refused to say it (I eventually did due to the massive amount of pressure in that moment) would've been swift and unbearable. 

6 hours ago, kallend said:

How do your “Christian” buddies feel about Trump’s betrayal of the Christian Kurds to the Muslim Turks?  Seems like the action of a Judas to me, with his business interests in Turkey counting as the pieces of silver. 

It's all relative.  Just because betraying allies is bad doesn't mean it's bad in this case, because something good (a successful Trump business,  a happy Putin, angry liberals) will come out of it. 

(edited)

Turks were qualified to launch US nukes from the F-16's we sold them.

They haven't had pilots qualified in years, so the US took that responsibility.

When I was in the Navy, we were trained if ever asked about nukes, to respond with "We can neither confirm nor deny there are nuclear weapons here (or aboard), but we do have that capability."

That position was thanks to New Zealand I believe.

Edited by normiss

14 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Oh come on Ron. You’ve been saying SHTF soon for at least the last 5 years. 

Some prophecy!

20 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Does it count as SHTF if you support the person throwing it?

Wendy P. 

It is not a person per se, it is Satan. 

Ephesians 6:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

18 hours ago, kallend said:

Not many folks up here discuss world affairs.

I must admit that I have concern for the safety and preservation of the Kurds. I have been aware of missionary support for the Kurds since the mid-1980s. 

It was reported that President Trump is leaving 1K troops in Syria. I assume they are SF and will continue to work with the Kurds.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

Oh come on Ron. You’ve been saying SHTF soon for at least the last 5 years. 

Some prophecy!

And now some of the naysayers are considering the possibility. 

An amusing thought I have always held is that those who criticize me for talking about SHTF probably have an AAD on their rigs.

27 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

And now some of the naysayers are considering the possibility. 

An amusing thought I have always held is that those who criticize me for talking about SHTF probably have an AAD on their rigs.

So if you’re a firm believer in faith would you jump and not not pull anything and let Jesus take care of you?

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

It is not a person per se, it is Satan. 

Ephesians 6:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

What about those of us that don't believe in fairy tales and non-existent beings?

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

An amusing thought I just had about you and other "Christians" is that your belief in an afterlife and savior is something you wear "just in case it's true".

(edited)
5 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Not many folks up here discuss world affairs.

I must admit that I have concern for the safety and preservation of the Kurds. I have been aware of missionary support for the Kurds since the mid-1980s. 

It was reported that President Trump is leaving 1K troops in Syria. I assume they are SF and will continue to work with the Kurds.

Trump has stabbed our Christian allies in the back in the interests of his personal enrichment. That is a fact. 

That will be a stain on the USA that will take a long time to clean. We have become an unreliable friend. 

Edited by kallend