1 1
Bkleven7

Any High-Pack-Volume Mains? Want to Potentially Downsize But Keep Same Container

Title is self-explanatory; are there any mains that are particularly high-pack-volume, to the point that I could potentially fit a 135 into a rig designed to fit a 150? 

Based on some different container sizing guides it seems like the Flight Concepts Sentry and Aerodyne Pilot might pack up slightly big. Let me know if you've heard of others, particularly 135's. 

All your basic 9 cell regular ZP canopies pack fairly big, especially if they are newer. Pretty much any container that is built to fit a 150 as it's best fit will be fine with a 135 9 cell. If you are talking about a container that is built for a 170 and you currently have a 150 in it then you are probably at the down sizing limit. Do you already have a rig or are you asking because you are deciding what to order?

On 10/14/2019 at 12:57 PM, Deyan said:

Canopies with logo will pack bigger

Only very marginally. Like 1%. There is no noticeable difference. For example, ULPV mains out there still have a logo. The Epicene has a logo and I dont know of any canopy that packs smaller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 20kN said:

Only very marginally. Like 1%. There is no noticeable difference. For example, ULPV mains out there still have a logo. The Epicene has a logo and I dont know of any canopy that packs smaller.

There are canopies with printed on logos that don‘t effect the packvolume and there are canopies with sewn on logos, that pack a lot larger depending on the size of the logo. 

My old  Katana 120 with a large sewn on logo packed like a Katana 150

(edited)

NZ Aerosports and maybe other manufacturers use a heavier sailcloth fabric for some parts of their canopies.  You could ask if they'd be willing to make a canopy that uses the sailcloth in other parts as well.  Downside:  you're in uncharted territory with respect to pack volume (can't get the air out as easily) and durability/tear resistance.  Balloon manufacturers use heavier ripstop nylon as well, which a canopy manufacturer may be willing to substitute into a canopy usually made as a hybrid of ZP and F111.

Edited by mark

I used to have a 9 cell Performance Variable canopy called a Demon. I had it in size 100, and it easily packed like a 120, at least. It was made of a different sort of ZP material to other ZP canopies, and it felt thick and heavy. 

Sure there must have been other canopies out there that were made from the same material.