1 1
tactical

Slider Grommets are uneven Is this problematic?

These pics are of my slider grommets immediately after quartering the slider. As you can see, they are about 3 inches offset. I have asked numerous, "gods of all things packing,"  and just about as many riggers and everyone says it's not a problem. Although it is a problem wrapping the tail and keeping the grommets together, as well as keeping everything together when I lay the main on the floor, other than that... nothing as far as flying or flaring, yet! 

Any opinions or experience with similar configurations?  

Thanks 

P1000648.JPG

P1000650.JPG

Don't think it is an issue. Just the way canopies are made. Front and rear grommets are not always lined up at the same level. Given that canopies are built pitched down at the front, grommets certainly wouldn't line if there were no stabilizers, as the C/D's would be further from the links than the A/B's. With stabilizers, results vary. Ideally grommets would all line up so the slider would be better aligned perpendicular to the relative wind during opening.

It's a product of design choices made in the shape of the stabilizer and from that the slider stops. I'll give you some examples. Look at a specter from PD 7 cell. short stabs. The stab starts at the A comes up slightly to the B attachment point where the slider stop is. The grommets are fairly close to the A's and level. Slow opening canopy with good mechanical  advantage to the slider. Compare with the PD reserve. Noticeable longer stabilizers, slider grommets farther down from the A attachment point, lower mechanical advantage, faster opening canopy. Look at the old Flight Concepts reserves. Long flares but no stabilizers The slider initially sets at a very steep angle with the difference being the difference between the A and C Line length. The "ideal" stab shape based on reducing tip vortexcies would be a very different shape then what would be most convenient to support the slider. So like all things it's a compromise of very different objectives. 

Lee

On 10/9/2019 at 7:51 PM, tactical said:

it is a problem wrapping the tail and keeping the grommets together

The grommets don't need to stay "together." They need to stay up against the stops (which are apparently offset a little on that canopy, as they are on many other designs). While I'm pushing the air out of a canopy, I put my knee up against the grommets and hold them against the stops. You can check and reposition the grommets right through the tail fabric when you start making your S-Fold too. You'll get better at it as you gain experience packing that canopy.