Bkleven7

Anyone Have Experience With a Paratec Speed 2000? Does it Actually Pack Super Low Volume? Debating Between That and Optimum.

I'm trying to choose a reserve to fit into my Vortex V-4 150, which is designed to fit a 135 or 150 Decelerator (pack volumes 305 and 350 cubic inches, respectively). The 150 that came with the rig packed tight so I'm looking to sell it and get a newer, slightly bigger, low-pack volume reserve (I realized after a couple reserve rides I'd like a bigger reserve anyways...Obviously, because the 150 Decelerator was tight, this is difficult to pull off.)

I've narrowed it down to the Speed 2000 190 or 170 by Paratec and the PD Optimum 160. 

The Speed 2000 manual clearly says that the pack volume is 322 cubic inches. Based on that number, it should fit perfectly into my rig (supposedly designed to fit 305-350 cubic inches). I know there's more to it than just pack volume, but that's the main measurement I have to go off.

Can anyone verify that the Speed 2000 190 actually fits into a 150 reserve tray? I've read on some forums that it does, while others say Paratec's numbers are exaggerated. I've also read that it's a good canopy overall despite being extremely hard to find in the US. Any opinions on this would be great. 

The other option is the Optimum 160, which should fit pretty tightly into my rig, but is a highly reputable canopy from a reputable brand. 

I've read past forum posters say the two reserves pack similarly. My overall philosophy is the bigger reserve the better so long as it fits. 

On a side note, do you guys know if there's any sort of warranty policy in the even that the canopy does not fit? Could I return it back to Paratec?

Thanks

Its true that it packs pretty low.

I got a wings w5 which is normally build for pdr 113-126 and got a 150 speed in there which fits just fine (not to tight). 

Give paratec a shot for US dealers and if u can send it back if it wouldnt fit.

I had a low speed mal ride ob my Reserve last month... Flies just fine. 

American living in Germany - lots of people swear by the Speed over here. With the caveat "seriously, before you buy, ask your rigger" (and also contact Paratec - speaking from personal experience, they're super friendly and helpful), I can confirm tripp9r's experience - I've got a Speed2000 150 in an Icon I3 (nominally sized for a normal pack volume reserve in the 110-130 range). My rigger was fine to pack it and it definitely doesn't feel like a brick on my back. Haven't had to land it yet, but I've seen a few others land, and it always looked smoother and easier than one might expect from a reserve.

Not trying to be an ass here, just curious.  Why buy a container sized for a reserve that is too small for you and that doesn't have the MARD you want?

Back OT.  Something  that has yet to be mentioned.  Cubic inch volume is affected by humidity.  What fits ok in Florida might not fit so well in Arizona.  Not sure where you are but it is something to think about.  My 170 main packed up great, snug but not ridiculously so, in a container built for a 150 when I was in Florida,  but it was a tight pregnant looking pack job in southern California. 

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yeah although the Speed seems pretty unheard of in the US people seem to love it in Europe and Germany in particular. Great to hear confirmation that it packs as small as advertised. I'm planning to call Paratec as well as some of their US dealers to ask what size they think is best. 

Skybytch, it was admittedly a dumb initial purchase. I saw the low price that ParachuteSystems offered for the full setup and got too excited without really researching gear or safety features in-depth. Am now paying the price literally and figuratively. Good lessons though, learned the hard way. 

3 hours ago, massis said:

I said the same on Reddit, but I'm using a Speed 220sqft alongside my Silhouette 190 in a Wings W18, which is made for a 170-190 main and a 176-793 reserve. So it's designed for an optimum 193. My speed 220 fits beautifully.

The 193 referenced in the Wings size chart is a PR 193, not an optimum. The equivalent optimum would be a 218.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, Bkleven7 said:

. I saw the low price that ParachuteSystems offered for the full setup and got too excited without really researching gear or safety features in-depth. Am now paying the price literally and figuratively. Good lessons though, learned the hard way.  

Wow, you bought it from a dealer and they didn't verify it would work for you before selling it to you? That sucks, this isn't a lesson you should have to be learning.

Tbh, if I were you,  I'd sell it and get something that is right for you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, massis said:

I said the same on Reddit, but I'm using a Speed 220sqft alongside my Silhouette 190 in a Wings W18, which is made for a 170-190 main and a 176-793 reserve. So it's designed for an optimum 193. My speed 220 fits beautifully.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:36 PM, Deyan said:

You can forget about the Speed 190. Not a chance. Speed 170 and Optimum 160 are "maybe".

Paratec seems to agree. General consensus from most riggers I've asked is that the Speed 170 or Op 160 should be fine