Bkleven7

How Much Bigger/Smaller Should You Be Than What the Rig is Designed to Fit?

Simplest would be to go to the rig manufacturer's website, find the sizing page. There will be instructions on how to take measurements for ordering a new rig. Have someone measure you (don't try to do it yourself, you can't). A rigger or tailor/seamstress is best, but anyone who can follow instructions and read a tape measure can do it. 
Get the serial number from the rig and then send both the S/N and your measurements to the manufacturer. 
They should be able to tell you if it will fit, or if a harness resize is an option, or if it can't be made to fit.

2" of height may not be enough to worry about. If the guy's legs are long and yours are short, the MLW measurement may be the same.

(edited)
7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

2" of height may not be enough to worry about. If the guy's legs are long and yours are short, the MLW measurement may be the same.

It's not 2", it 4" and I dont think that's going to work. That's going to be too much of a size difference. At the minimum the MLW will need to be resized, but someone that tall might also have wider shoulders which would result in a wider yoke. Yokes cannot be modified usually. But yea, ask the manufacturer but at the minimum the harness is going to need to be resized.

A harness resize is typically $250 - 400 depending on how many things they need to change. A master rigger can modify a harness, although it's usually best to send it to the manufacturer.

Edited by 20kN

15 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Simplest would be to go to the rig manufacturer's website, find the sizing page. There will be instructions on how to take measurements for ordering a new rig. Have someone measure you (don't try to do it yourself, you can't). A rigger or tailor/seamstress is best, but anyone who can follow instructions and read a tape measure can do it. 
Get the serial number from the rig and then send both the S/N and your measurements to the manufacturer. 
They should be able to tell you if it will fit, or if a harness resize is an option, or if it can't be made to fit.

Definitely do this - I am 5'1 and wear the same size harness as a 6' tall guy at my dropzone.  He is all legs and I have a tall torso for my size...

15 hours ago, Bkleven7 said:

If I'm 5'8" and the guy selling me gear is 6'0" and the gear is sized to fit him, how serious of a potential problem is that? What is the best way to fix it without breaking the bank? 

Unfortunately it's very hard to know how well it will fit until you try it on. Even then you need to know what to look for. A miss-fit can range from a serious problem to a minor inconvenience. Only large ones become unsafe, as long as it's reasonable it will work. A bad fit can hinder you in some type of flying but not be a problem with other types. As others have said a re-size can usually be done, but not everything can be changed and used gear may or may not be worth the cost.

A magic formula for figuring out what size MLW will fit you. Your height in inches minues your inseam in inches minus 20. Example. I'm 5 feet 8 inches with a 33 inch inseam. 68 minus 33 minus 20 equals 15. So a 15 inch MLW should fit me, and it does.

Figure out your MLW, then find out the sellers inseam (you already know the height) and do the same. Compare.

Personally I'd pass on any used rig that is longer or shorter in the MLW than what should fit me using the above formula.

Leg strap and chest strap lengths can easily be modified. Laterals cant be done as easy or cheaply; they should fit fine if you and the seller are of similar body shapes,

Dont buy a used rig if the seller won't allow you time to try it on and have it inspected by your rigger before making the sale final.

I wouldn’t buy something with that much of a potential difference without at least trying it on (but ideally jumping) it first. 

If you are sitflying, the leg straps might start to slide down on your legs. Having a freefly bungee should prevent them from sliding all the way off (and you falling out of the rig!), but it’s still not at all pleasant or fun to try to fly like that.

Also, it probably will be a lot more difficult to use harness input to fly your canopy (at least, that was my experience).

I'm 6ft 3" and jumped something made for a 5ft 4"... you can do it but it was stupidly uncomfortable. The chest strap could barely go around the loop, the leg straps couldn't be tightened more than an inch from their fully open position and the ride under canopy almost made me pass out in a spiral because of the legstrap pressure in my groin area... so yeah. A few inches is ok but that's it.