2 2
ZoeJD

Jump: from Suicidal Depression to Skydiving and Reality's Edge

On 10/6/2019 at 7:06 AM, gowlerk said:

You can't.

Well, interestingly (not sure if on purpose) neilmck (10th post down) showed a way to delete a post: Simply edit out all the content, except for a period. (this may be frowned upon--but seems technically possible)
Of course, now it's somewhat too late, as yobnoc quoted the complete original post 2 posts further down, which can't be deleted, except by him.

15 hours ago, mbohu said:

Well, interestingly (not sure if on purpose) neilmck (10th post down) showed a way to delete a post: Simply edit out all the content, except for a period. (this may be frowned upon--but seems technically possible)
Of course, now it's somewhat too late, as yobnoc quoted the complete original post 2 posts further down, which can't be deleted, except by him.

Editing is only enabled for a couple hours or so after the post or reply. No editing can be done after that.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, SethInMI said:

It is interesting though that she is a lawyer, as I would having a thick skin / emotional resilience would be part of the job requirements for that.

Lawyers have a high rate of misery compared to other professions. A 2-second google search revealed that attorneys have the 11th highest suicide rate by occupation.

I'm sad that people immediately piled on the OP. I suspect skydiving has saved a LOT of people from depression, and I think there is HUGE value in people sharing openly about their struggles with mental health. That's undermined when people are jerks to each other when they could just as easily say nothing.

• Like 4

There is no doubt that skydiving is a great way of removing stress however I'm not so sure it is a great treatment for depression.  Depression isn't just about feeling down but can affect brain function impacting reaction times and decision making.

This thread started with a simple product announcement … perhaps not within the letter of dz.com policy, but almost harmless.

If the OP used "fucking sexy ass skydivers" as a verb, that is correct English, Dutch, etc. However the choice of vocabulary might offend some of the delicate flowers in the audience. Back in the good-old-days, skydivers were lewd, crude, vulgar, etc. and the dz was a safe place to vent our frustration with the "real world." many skydivers prided themselves on their "dirty biker" image. Sadly, most dzs have become more and politically-correct during this century. Boring! 

I have used skydiving as a cure for depression for almost 40 years. I started as a sport jumper back when sex was safe and skydiving was dangerous. Sadly, I was kicked out of the skydiving crowd after a plane crash. Bullies started the pushing, then my boss parked airplane wreckage where I had to look at every day on my way to work, then lawyers insisted on dragging out a simple lawsuit for 8.5 years.

The odd thing was that I worked hard at physical rehabilitation during the year immediately after the crash. I could not explain clearly why I was working so hard, just knew that I had to "get back on the horse." I only lasted a year and a half until the airplane wreckage was permanently parked near the airplane gate.

Since then I have been diagnosed as: insomniac, anxious, depressed,acid reflux, heart murmur, PTSD, etc.

I have read dozens of books about PTSD and earlier today watched Sebastian Junger's videos on PTSD.

Hopefully this new book offers advice on how to recover from that sort of long-term depression.

• Like 1