2 2
Binary93

Consistent sneaky off-heading openings

Question

I'm having trouble with pretty consistent off-heading openings. I personally think it's a packing problem rather than the body position but who knows. Do you have any idea why this is happening? Is there a trick in the packing that will prevent this? I'm sharing a video with several such openings, 3 hop-n-pops and 3 in terminal velocity. During the snivel everything looks normal but then when the inflation starts one side seems to inflate much faster than the other one causing it to turn.

I pack pretty "standard" I guess, push the material outwards between AB, BC and CD lines, pull the slider a bit towards myself (to the front of the canopy) before the wrap, leave the front cells openings as they are (I hold them between the legs from the beginning of the packing until the wrap), turn it on the ground, fold it in thirds, turn it back, make the s-fold and place it in the d-bag. I also tie the risers together before packing to keep them symmetric.

The canopy is Paraavis Ultimate 170ft with about 1.3WL.

The video: 

Thanks,
Damjan

8 answers to this question

one thing I have done with my packjobs that has helped quite a bit, is to spread open the center cell of the nose, before I wrap the tail. In theory, and I think in reality also, lol, this helps ensure that the center cell inflates first, and the canopy then pressurizes symmetrically. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hand it to someone who can open a Velocity or similar on-heading, and let him/her jump it a few jumps while you pack as normally. If the off-headings are gone, it's your body position. If they also have off-headings every jump, its packing or canopy related.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:10 PM, Pit76 said:

What a nice location to jump :D

Bovec, Slovenia :)

On 10/2/2019 at 7:19 PM, betzilla said:

one thing I have done with my packjobs that has helped quite a bit, is to spread open the center cell of the nose, before I wrap the tail. In theory, and I think in reality also, lol, this helps ensure that the center cell inflates first, and the canopy then pressurizes symmetrically. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

Good luck!

This one solved it, thanks!

Also found a video by Brian Germain explaining this :)

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 2:58 PM, Binary93 said:

Bovec, Slovenia :)

This one solved it, thanks!

Also found a video by Brian Germain explaining this :)

Brian knows a thing or two!!  Glad you've solved the issue! Also, buy a Winx.