sheeks

What causes only one riser to release in a cutaway

If the handle is pulled somewhat slowly, or without maximum effort, I think there is a natural tendency to feel the cable moving gradually and then stop when a change in the level of force required to move them occurs. This change of force happens when one side releases first. The length of pull required to release the 2 sides are slightly different - intended to release the side with the RSL last to prevent reserve deployment if a lazy pull is done. The jumper would hopefully recognize that only one side is cutaway and complete the pull. I think it is not reasonable to expect the cable lengths to be just right so as to prevent one side releasing first, therefore the lengths are setup to make the RSL side last.

The way to prevent the issue is to apply maximum effort and distance of pull - the expression used to be "punch it". The training to sweep the cables free is I think a recognition that students can't be trusted to punch it all the way out. Every time I've activated a release system, whether capewells or a 3-ring release, I've never had a sense of how much force was actually required because I punched it like my life was on the line.

Edited by sundevil777

How about lack of 3 ring maintenance and low drag scenario.  Ie bag lock or pilot chute in tow.   

People seem shocked that they have some maintenance to do on their rigs and even when they know most simply chose to ignore.    Take a look at the dirty cables as a sign of lack of maintenance.   The twisting of the risers at the 3 rings avoids them taking a set and this should be done fairly regularly.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, skytribe said:

How about lack of 3 ring maintenance and low drag scenario.  Ie bag lock or pilot chute in tow.   

People seem shocked that they have some maintenance to do on their rigs and even when they know most simply chose to ignore.    Take a look at the dirty cables as a sign of lack of maintenance.   The twisting of the risers at the 3 rings avoids them taking a set and this should be done fairly regularly.

Not trying to call you out, but maybe it will relieve some anxiety about riser maintenance. 

https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/10643-looking-after-your-3-rings/?do=findComment&comment=941792

Perhaps watching a video like this 

will make you see the issue.    Ive also had rigs that I've had brought to me that exhibited lack of maintenance and similar behaviour.     So in low drag situations this can occur and a set in the risers has occurred.     Not wishing to start a flame war but lack of maintenance is common.