1 1
swoopgirl

Greta Hates You All

48 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

In what manner?

Lack of and resistance to action in addressing the issue is what I see.

Refusing to acknowledge and act on a scientifically proven issue that will affect life on the only planet we have at this point, yeah that might be important to those following us.

Ignoring things is sure to make them go away.

So what should happen to these "deniers"?  Should we be rounded up and sent to a tribunal in the Hague for our climate crimes?  Mabey sent to a reeducation camp in China where we would slave away in a solar panel factory?

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yes.  Specifically, it is to hold them responsible for their actions.

I doubt anyone enjoys spanking Brent more than I do. Well maybe his wife, I guess, but I digress.

You're absolutely right, today. Sadly history has it going in both directions. That is what makes it such a troubling thing what she said and why she has subsequently apologized.

Stell das gegen die wand, meant something very serious in the past. 

Let's be fair, she serves a purpose but that's about it.
Edited by JoeWeber
I'm a doof
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

So what should happen to these "deniers"?  Should we be rounded up and sent to a tribunal in the Hague for our climate crimes?  Mabey sent to a reeducation camp in China where we would slave away in a solar panel factory?

Nope.  You can play your own word games.  Most people know what "hold people responsible" means.

7 minutes ago, billvon said:

Nope.  You can play your own word games.  Most people know what "hold people responsible" means.

And most (thinking) people know what "put them against the wall" means.  If Greta thought otherwise she wouldn't have had to apologize.

Edited by brenthutch

It's an idiom in Swedish that has a different meaning in English. Not uncommon for second language speakers.

My brother had a rather embarrassing experience in Brazil using the expression "give him the hairy eyeball." Note that we grew up in Brazil; our Portuguese is really good.  But we didn't get as much education in the finer curse words (even as teenagers!). In Brazil it's a crude euphemism for penis. My the looks he got...

So maybe a 16-year-old translating a Swedish expression into English didn't realize the other meaning in English. 

Even talk about a fanny pack in England? Or hear an Englishman call someone a cunt in the US?

Wendy P.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

And most (thinking) people know what "put them against the wall" means.  If Greta thought otherwise she wouldn't have had to apologize.

Most English speakers do know.  She's not a native English speaker, and in her language the phrase means something different.  But you knew that, and just don't want to admit you were wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

It's an idiom in Swedish that has a different meaning in English. Not uncommon for second language speakers.

My brother had a rather embarrassing experience in Brazil using the expression "give him the hairy eyeball." Note that we grew up in Brazil; our Portuguese is really good.  But we didn't get as much education in the finer curse words (even as teenagers!). In Brazil it's a crude euphemism for penis. My the looks he got...

So maybe a 16-year-old translating a Swedish expression into English didn't realize the other meaning in English. 

Even talk about a fanny pack in England? Or hear an Englishman call someone a cunt in the US?

Wendy P.

That reminds me of the time my bank was expanding into the UK, the demand far outpaced what we could accommodate, so we had to send several credit analysists from the US to pick up the slack.  Phrases like "why don't you knock me up later" and "on the job" had vastly different meaning in the two countries. :-0 

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

That reminds me of the time my bank was expanding into the UK, the demand far outpaced what we could accommodate, so we had to send several credit analysists from the US to pick up the slack.

Or when I gave the legs-out signal to a British AFF student and he thought I was flipping him off.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

LOLOLOL

Like Wendy says - this is chosen.

She's grandstanding.

I'm not attacking her - But I find this pretty ironic. 

Found on another site - Face palm Moment.

image.png.7a21d0c7d10740bb2f0f621f7b143b66.png

Not sure where the image was taken, but here in Central FloriDUH, we recycle those plastic containers.

Just now, normiss said:

Not sure where the image was taken, but here in Central FloriDUH, we recycle those plastic containers.

I also see its winter in the background - 

Those Bananas on the table lead me to believe that they had to be flown on a JET A burning vehicle to get them to her.O.o

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

LOLOLOL

She's grandstanding.

Train is just about the most energy efficient way to travel or move goods.  And I very much doubt if Greta chooses the utensils in the restaurant car.  

This is really the STUPIDEST criticism of her that I've seen, and I've seen a lot of stupid ones.

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

LOLOLOL

She's grandstanding.

Naw, it's funny. Yes, she is riding on a train, and using what was (probably) provided by the train company. Everyone has to make compromises, and this juxtaposition is funny. Just as the use of the sailboat was grandstanding, but it really helped her to get what she felt was her message out. Grandstanding is what you do when you're trying to publicize something, it's how you get the word out.

Wendy P.

11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Naw, it's funny. Yes, she is riding on a train, and using what was (probably) provided by the train company. Everyone has to make compromises, and this juxtaposition is funny. Just as the use of the sailboat was grandstanding, but it really helped her to get what she felt was her message out. Grandstanding is what you do when you're trying to publicize something, it's how you get the word out.

Wendy P.

Has anyone confirmed authenticity? In any case, and maybe it's a result of my predilection for First Class travel, but do they actually serve a full loaf of bread, tubs of grocery store goop, over ripe banana's and large bags of trail mix in coach? Do they also make you bring your own reusable water bottles? That's not right. I might just say it's actually very left.

16 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Is this something we can vote on?

(edited)
On 1/23/2020 at 1:07 AM, Erroll said:

Impressive performance by young Gretha at Davos.

No theatrics, very measured and well delivered address, I thought.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/business/2020/01/21/trump-greta-thunberg-climate-davos-lon-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-davos/

No theatrics!!

Her entire presence is a theatric.

Its a set up - Put a little girl out there crying for this or that and wait for your opponent to go after her.

Voila - instant martyr.  Theatrics that are designed, engineered, and quite effective.

Look at the comments above for proof.  Look at the media for proof.

Poor Greta.  You do know her childhood was ruined, right?

. . . . then the opponents are vilified.  Perfect storm.

Edited by turtlespeed
changed scapegoat to martyr -