1 1
swoopgirl

Greta Hates You All

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is the whole point, catastrophic AGW is predicted on the notion that once CO2 was all in, then other mechanisms would kick in and feed the feedback loop.  Well that hasn't happened. So....

=========================

Russian scientists find 'most powerful' ever methane seep in Arctic Ocean

Telegraph.co.uk

8 OCTOBER 2019 • 5:11PM

Russian scientists in the Arctic Ocean said they have discovered the most powerful methane gas fountain ever recorded, highlighting the danger of this greenhouse gas accelerating climate change or causing an oil or gas spill as it erupts from thawing permafrost.   

A research expedition from the Tomsk polytechnic university found the seep, as methane leaks are known, east of Bennett Island in the East Siberian Sea, where its violent bubbles seemed to make the water “boil” over an area of 50 square feet. 

The concentration of methane in the air there was up to 16 parts per million, more than nine times higher than the atmospheric average.  . . .

A recent Russian study found that the thawing of underwater permafrost has doubled in the past three decades, reaching 18 centimetres a year. One of the consequences has been massive releases of methane from the seafloor, including from hydrates, ice-like formations of solid methane that can explode into gas if they are destabilised. 

============================

Global Biogeochemical Cycles

Very Strong Atmospheric Methane Growth in the 4 Years 2014–2017: Implications for the Paris Agreement

March 2019

Abstract: Methane is the second most important anthropogenic greenhouse gas (M. R. Allen et al., 2018; Etminan et al., 2016; G. Myhre et al., 2013). In the 1990s, the atmospheric methane burden trended toward equilibrium, which it reached by the end of the twentieth century (Dlugokencky et al., 2011), with little or no growth in its atmospheric burden in the early years of this century. In 1984, the first year with detailed records, the global annual average atmospheric mole fraction of methane in the remote marine boundary layer was 1,645 ppb. In 2006, just before the recent growth phase began, it was about 1,775 ppb. This grew rapidly to an annual global mean of 1,850 ppb in 2017, a total rise of about 75 ppb in the 2007–2017 period (Figure 1). The increase is continuing.

===============================

• Like 1

23 hours ago, billvon said:

Did you get a good chuckle over the guy who promised to bring a sniper rifle to her talk?  Or the guy who hung her in effigy?  Those wacky fun right wingers!

You have yet to see the neo-enviormentalist come out of the woods,some little girls are already sacrificing their first born,symbolicly of course.

this is from the El Paso Piece of Shit:

“The American lifestyle affords our citizens an incredible quality of life. However, our lifestyle is destroying the environment of our country,” the El Paso manifesto notes, adding, “Everything I have seen and heard in my short life has led me to believe that the average American isn’t willing to change their lifestyle, even if the changes only cause a slight inconvenience. … So the next logical step is to decrease the number of people in America using resources.” 

The so-called deep ecology movement, claiming to argue for the intrinsic value of all living things, insists that the flourishing of nonhuman life is impossible without decreasing the human population. Deep ecologists like David Foreman in the 1980s welcomed famine as a means of depopulation; his fellow eco-fascist contemporaries saw a similar boon in the AIDS crisis.

Alrighty then; perhaps for anyone who may care to know:

(1) I had not intended to quote richravizza, I accept that those words were 'El Paso' content.

(2) The image depicts a fictional comic & movie villain infamously known by some for wiping out half of all universal life with a snap of his fingers in a magical gauntlet.

(3) This villain is merely a parody on the 'El Paso' manifesto and should not detract from the subject thread. This is Greta's moment in the limelight. 

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That is the whole point, catastrophic AGW is predicted on the notion that once CO2 was all in, then other mechanisms would kick in and feed the feedback loop.  Well that hasn't happened. So....

It IS happening, there is proof all over the arctic circle that's it's happening.  In addition, the feedback phrase doesn't only refer to CO2 but to other greenhouse gasses and the fact that the Arctic Ocean will absorb heat without the sea ice over it to reflect the light.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190321092226.htm

1 hour ago, DJL said:

It IS happening, there is proof all over the arctic circle that's it's happening.  In addition, the feedback phrase doesn't only refer to CO2 but to other greenhouse gasses and the fact that the Arctic Ocean will absorb heat without the sea ice over it to reflect the light.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190321092226.htm

My favorite line,

"But now, we have evidence that climate change or another disturbance may be liberating decades-to-centuries-old carbon from this landscape."

8 hours ago, metalslug said:

Alrighty then; perhaps for anyone who may care to know:

(1) I had not intended to quote richravizza, I accept that those words were 'El Paso' content.

(2) The image depicts a fictional comic & movie villain infamously known by some for wiping out half of all universal life with a snap of his fingers in a magical gauntlet.

(3) This villain is merely a parody on the 'El Paso' manifesto and should not detract from the subject thread. This is Greta's moment in the limelight. 

Thank for the explanation,

The Old Fart

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

My favorite line,

"But now, we have evidence that climate change or another disturbance may be liberating decades-to-centuries-old carbon from this landscape."

Fun Facts,

Last night was in the upper 50's to the low 60's 

The droughts is over,

North facing hill are still green,not seen since El Nino of the 80's & 90's

Fuck I'm out Evac.orders.

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Another honour for the young lady. I think it's wonderful how she has overcome what many see as an impairment and used it as a virtue!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/greta-thunberg-time-person-of-the-year-2019-1.5392006

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2019-greta-thunberg/

Like Hockey?

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Another honour for the young lady. I think it's wonderful how she has overcome what many see as an impairment and used it as a virtue!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/greta-thunberg-time-person-of-the-year-2019-1.5392006

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2019-greta-thunberg/

It is no big deal.  I was person of the year back in 2006.

Edited by brenthutch

31 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Not terrified.  I'd just rather not have policy based on a 16 year old actress.

I agree. The whole "never underestimate the power of angry kids" schtick is more worthy of a two week grounding than media accolades. Let's just empower kids everywhere to be disrespectful to adults. Great idea.

Seriously?.png

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Not terrified.  I'd just rather not have policy based on a 16 year old actress.

If the right wingers and deniers hadn't decided to bully her over and over again in the media, she would not have gained any prominence.  Every post like yours adds a little more to her credibility.

• Like 4