1 1
billvon

This is just funny

17 hours ago, Coreece said:

The link outlines the nearly 2000 years of persecution that Jakee was questioning, including the christian on christian wars/persecution.  And yes, they are bigoted dickheads too.  I mean, I just said that several posts ago in my reply to joe, and then Jakee came in and called them bigoted violent christians.  Did you have something to add to that, or what?

Yes. What I would add, is that there is just nothing special about Christians in terms of persecution, when you look at the entire 2000 year timeframe. They haven't been more persecuted than pretty much any other group that you could pick out. The "Christian Persecution" concept seems to be more something that (some segment of) Christians have very much made part of their identity--and you can even see in the article that you linked, that this portion was likely written by someone who subscribed to that identity (using the term "martyrdom", which is really not widely used outside of that community (and other religious ones) and not really a word that describes something objectively)
Historically, I believe, this identity was taken on very early own in the history of Christianity, when it was actually true: Like, many other new movements, they were very much underground in the beginning and WERE actually persecuted by the more established religious sects. So, this became part of their identity, but objectively speaking, once the Roman Empire converted to Christianity as their state religion, the Christians definitely became as much of the persecutors as they were previously persecuted, and persecutions of Christians by non-Christians really were limited only to certain local areas, where they were in the clear minority--and that seems in no way different to any other sect, be they Shiites, Sunnis, Hindus, or pretty much any other group.

--PS: That whole point may also already have been pointed out, and I may not have added anything new here--I think it wouldn't be fair to ask occasional contributors to read through every single thread on this Forum--but since you argued that Christians were persecuted for 2000 years and put it in a way that seemed to make it something special about Christians, it seems that, even if someone already pointed that out previously, you haven't really taken that in.

PPS: I'm also struck about how you usually are quite oriented towards facts and seem to have a distaste for emotional arguments--but not so much when it is about Christian religion. Seems to go a little more to the gut for you?!

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a Bentley. 

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Incorrect.

Oops. You're right. 

A bit of searching found that the original race car was really called "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" because the motor made that sound (motor was a Zepplin engine). 

I always thought it was a Bentley Speed Six.

Thanks for the correction.

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Oops. You're right. 

A bit of searching found that the original race car was really called "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" because the motor made that sound (motor was a Zepplin engine). 

I always thought it was a Bentley Speed Six.

Thanks for the correction.

When you have a five year old son who loves listening to the audiobook of it in the car it gets imprinted in your brain :D

On 10/22/2019 at 12:29 AM, Coreece said:

Film series: The Passion of the Christ

Box office: 611.9 million USD

On 10/22/2019 at 10:06 AM, Coreece said:
On 10/22/2019 at 1:05 AM, billvon said:

Matrix series made $1632 million.  Same story, interestingly.

The 4th installment is currently in preproduction and is set to be released in a couple years.   I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt it'll revolutionize filmmaking and animation like the first two films in that series.

Premieres at midnight on HBO:

https://www.hbomax.com/the-matrix-resurrections

I've broken off my ties to Hollywood and advertising so I didn't get to read the script this time. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm sure I'll love it even if it's somewhat of revamp for a new generation. 

And btw Bill, you were comparing 3 films to 1. ;)

Edited by Coreece

On 9/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, kallend said:

Not any sillier than any other religious ritual. 

The Onion put forth one of the better religions:

https://www.theonion.com/scientology-losing-ground-to-new-fictionology-1819567847

The Invisible Pink Unicorn is entertaining.

The Church of the Subgenius is classic.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is hard to beat.  "Put the FSM back in Chrifsmas."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, winsor said:

https://www.theonion.com/scientology-losing-ground-to-new-fictionology-1819567847

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is hard to beat.  "Put the FSM back in Chrifsmas."

Hi winsor,

From your link:  Fictionology is essentially just a bunch of make-believe nonsense."

And what religion is not?

Jerry Baumchen

Just now, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi winsor,

From your link:  Fictionology is essentially just a bunch of make-believe nonsense."

And what religion is not?

Jerry Baumchen

I think that's rather the point.  At least it has some entertainment value.

Subgenius, a religion disguised as a joke or a joke disguised as a religion,

http://subgenius.com/

resulted in Slackware, which has merit.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Sometimes I feel like my Fictionology personal savior must be Wile E Coyote.

Edited by gowlerk