1 1
billvon

This is just funny

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

You folks, and your text, are simply unbelievable. It's as if you wander through life with one hand covering an eye, constantly bumping into reality, unable to perceive the true depth of things, and not allowed to even take a peek because there lay's the work of Satan and perdition will surely be your end.

And you think it's we who need new material. Wow.

Also fun how they completely ignore or dismiss any of the atrocities committed by the church and it's followers. For a long, long, loooong time.

Crusades, Inquisition, witch trials & burnings.

Slavery, subjugation of women and minorities, discrimination against the same. Along with those of 'lesser' religions. And against gays.

They pretend that those things either didn't happen or didn't matter. That atheists saying 'there is no God' is worse. And then throw out some actions by the Communists in the Soviet Union and pretend that that's how ALL atheists act. (helpful hint: those in power in the USSR did everything they could to stop anyone and anything that threatened their power)

47 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

They pretend that those things either didn't happen or didn't matter. 

Or - more often - "that had nothing to do with religion!  It was the evil secularists who started the Crusades. who went after witches, and who persecuted gays."

(edited)
15 hours ago, Coreece said:

No need for all that again.  I'm merely pointing out how much of the anti-religious shit spewed by atheists today isn't that much different than shit spewed by bigoted dickheads 100 years ago.   

You guys need new material.

So, you want to call atheists “bigoted dickheads”? But you consider yourself some sort of pure hearted believer? What you really represent is the reason Christianity needs to either change or be resisted. Which is exactly what is happening. 

Edited by gowlerk

8 hours ago, jakee said:
12 hours ago, Coreece said:

No need for all that again.  

Pretty much exactly what everyone else thinks about the hyperbolic hysteria of your posts, I’d say.

True, it's not absolutely necessary for me to compare atheistic bigotry of today with that of atheistic bigotry of 100 years ago to show how bigoted it really is, but where's the fun in that?

And just so you know, it was Nigel's hyperbolic hysteria across several threads that prompted me to make the comparison in the first place.  I mean you can't just expect me to let that shit go in a public forum even if I don't live in some shithole country and represent an oppressed minority - which apparently to you is compulsory of a valid grievance.

6 hours ago, jakee said:

Equating people who happen to be atheists with the political dogma of Stalinism?

No, I'm talking about atheist rhetoric of today and it's similarities with anti-religious propaganda, even before Stalin.  And as hateful as that all is, it's still protected speech - and as I explained to Nigel,  I think Christianity can live with that level of relatively benign bigotry.

After the fucking Bolos took over, there was still a fierce debate over how the "opiate of religion" should be handled.  Those on the right felt that that religion would  just die naturally with the influence of science, education and anti-religious propaganda, especially after the elimination of religion in schools and the public square.  Those on the left felt a more militant approach was necessary.  As they grew weary of waiting for religion to die, the full might of the leftist's militant approach was realized.

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm not sure where you've been, but in case you haven't noticed, our material is doing just fine.  I mean it's survived almost 2000 years of persecution -  the harder you fight the stronger we get, thanks be to God.  The bigoted principles of atheism failed the soviets even when accompanied by force, and they will fail again under today's more passive approach, finally liberating atheists from delusions of some kind of atheist utopia.

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

They pretend that those things either didn't happen or didn't matter.

Who pretends?  That shit was real.  Some of it was because of religion, some of it was because of politics, some of it was for money, power, control, resources - you know, the usual.  In every case they were the bigoted dickheads of their day regardless of the justifications for their sickening behavior. 

When you see rhetoric that's reminiscent of humanity's notorious past, you call it out, just like I'm calling out the stereotypical broad-brushing hatred of religion by bigoted atheists of today - but apparently you guys see that type hatred as a means to an end, so you're OK with it. 

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That atheists saying 'there is no God' is worse.

Ya, way to take the most recent, least offensive piece of propaganda to make a point while ignoring everything else - give me a break.  And as I've already said, this is all be protected speech, but that doesn't mean it isn't hateful and bigoted - I thought you people stood against that type of stuff.

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

And then throw out some actions by the Communists in the Soviet Union and pretend that that's how ALL atheists act.

Nah, I've already mentioned how some atheists were sickened with how the religious were being treated, and opposed a militant approach, but history is full of examples of relatively good, well intentioned people finding themselves in precarious situations and doing very bad things.

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

helpful hint: those in power in the USSR did everything they could to stop anyone and anything that threatened their power

Absolutely, that's why I said It's not like the soviets suddenly woke up one day and said "hey, let's kill tens of millions of Christians along with tens of millions of other people that are standing in our way of "progress."

But they obviously had a special kind of hard-on for eliminating religion, especially when they got tired of waiting for it to die off after the Russian civil war like they had hoped, which is why they amped-up production of strictly anti-religious newspapers and designated various groups like the Militant Godless and other atheist goons to promote atheism by any means necessary.

“Militant atheism is not merely incidental or marginal to Communist policy. It is not a side effect, but the central pivot” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 

2 hours ago, Coreece said:
12 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm not sure where you've been, but in case you haven't noticed, our material is doing just fine.  I mean it's survived almost 2000 years of persecution -  the harder you fight the stronger we get, thanks be to God.  The bigoted principles of atheism failed the soviets even when accompanied by force, and they will fail again under today's more passive approach, finally liberating atheists from delusions of some kind of atheist utopia.

In fairness the persecution hasn't gone on uninterrupted. You boy's have had your turn at bat on more than a few occasions. And your material isn't doing just fine, and you well know that.

Nothing in the Bible has been proven by archeology. In fact, much has been disproven by a lack of evidence. Maybe Haldane said it or didn't but there have been no rabbits found in precambrian deposits. In fact, rational, logical and scientifically sound discoveries only strengthen the fact of evolution every day. I won't go down the list, you don't care. You'd rather believe in Noah and his Ark. The truth is that your material is a proven falsehood except to you and your mutual validation society. 

And to be clear I do not give a shit what you believe. I do give a shit that you persist with your woe is me persecution narrative which is foundational to the Christian claims that go from your silly War on Christmas to your tax exemptions.

Just go somewhere and believe at your own expense and leave the rest of us alone, please.

• Like 2

" Just go somewhere and believe at your own expense and leave the rest of us alone, please. "

THAT is the persecution.

The christian attitude of superiority. They are blinded to the persecution they spew. Daily. To everyone who isn't godly in their eyes. When they are the truly blind ones.

They reap what they sow.

All because some lady got knocked up by someone other than her husband, and somebody stole a dead body.

It's never even been movie worthy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Matrix series made $1632 million.  Same story, interestingly.

The 4th installment is currently in preproduction and is set to be released in a couple years.   I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt it'll revolutionize filmmaking and animation like the first two films in that series.

I was lucky enough to read the script for Matrix Reloaded prior to it's release.  It's really interesting to compare your own vision of the text with that of the directors final cut.   But it does tend to limit the suspense, and fight scenes aren't as entertaining.

19 hours ago, Coreece said:

2000 years of persecution? On what planet? Constantine converted around 300 AD, in case you missed it. The resulting Christian governments covering pretty much the whole of Europe have spent most of the subsequent 1700 years persecuting absolutely everyone else. Most especially those of different denominations.

For Christ's sake, if you're going to claim that Christianity has been persecuted for 2000 years then do you want to know who to blame for the vast majority of that persecution? Christians. Bigotted, violent Christians who failed in ethnically cleansing their way to the utopias they wanted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jakee said:

2000 years of persecution? On what planet? Constantine converted around 300 AD, in case you missed it. The resulting Christian governments covering pretty much the whole of Europe have spent most of the subsequent 1700 years persecuting absolutely everyone else. Most especially those of different denominations.

For Christ's sake, if you're going to claim that Christianity has been persecuted for 2000 years then do you want to know who to blame for the vast majority of that persecution? Christians. Bigotted, violent Christians who failed in ethnically cleansing their way to the utopias they wanted.

Shame it hasn't been since earth was created wayyyyyyy back before this jebus howward christ nonsense started.

Like millions of years ago.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Earth.  Not sure if they have wiki on whatever frigid planet you're from, but you should check it out before you go.

From your own link, though:

"The schisms of the Middle Ages and especially the Protestant Reformation, sometimes provoked severe conflicts between Christian denominations to the point of persecuting each other."

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mbohu said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Earth.  Not sure if they have wiki on whatever frigid planet you're from, but you should check it out before you go.

From your own link, though:

"The schisms of the Middle Ages and especially the Protestant Reformation, sometimes provoked severe conflicts between Christian denominations to the point of persecuting each other."

Yes, we all know that - and it's been talked about several times in the thread already, and probably another 10,000 times in other threads over the years.

The link outlines the nearly 2000 years of persecution that Jakee was questioning, including the christian on christian wars/persecution.  And yes, they are bigoted dickheads too.  I mean, I just said that several posts ago in my reply to joe, and then Jakee came in and called them bigoted violent christians.  Did you have something to add to that, or what?

59 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Did you have something to add to that, or what?

Well yeah - the fact that it means your point of Christianity having 'survived' 2000 years of persecution is utter bollocks, given that most of the persecution comes from bigotted Christians. When it's violent, horrible Christian vs violent, horrible Christian then Christianity is guranteed to survive no matter who wins. There's nothing special about that.

26 minutes ago, kallend said:

Jakee explained very clearly why you are wrong.  I guess he shouldn't have used multisyllabic words though.

I'm picturing Kallend typing with gold wire glasses, a British snear and a the wisp of rising steam from his Earl Grey.  He finishes with a pronounced "click" on the enter key and reaches for the tea.

44 minutes ago, DJL said:

I'm picturing Kallend typing with gold wire glasses, a British snear and a the wisp of rising steam from his Earl Grey.  He finishes with a pronounced "click" on the enter key and reaches for the tea.

I see him sitting in the cockpit of his Subaru Outback, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, occasionally patting a wad of one dollar bills in his pocket, impatiently glancing at his watch and thinking WTF, are they going to open today or what?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I see him sitting in the cockpit of his Subaru Outback, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, occasionally patting a wad of one dollar bills in his pocket, impatiently glancing at his watch and thinking WTF, are they going to open today or what?

Are we putting him in a tweed jacket with elbow patches or is that a bit much? (As Kallend contemplates telling us to "Kiss my Arse.")