1 1
skymama

Jimmy Tavino could use your good vibes! (Update: He's home!)

Hey gang...in case you haven't heard, Jimmy Tavino needed emergency open heart surgery on September 15th, and had five stints put in. He's been in the ICU at Rochester General Hospital in Rochester, NY ever since. They are hoping he can move to a regular room soon. As of now, he's still on a heart and lung machine.

So, please do whatever you do to send out good juju to the universe to help him heal. If you know Jimmy, you know that he would be the first one to do it for you! He's one heck of a guy. :)

If you have anything to say to him that you want him to read when he gets out, go ahead and post to this thread. I'll start...

Him. Him...fuck him! :D

(I hope you've been in the sport long enough to know that's an endearing comment to make to a skydiver!)

Jimmy sunset.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Moms,

Re:  'As of now, he's still on a heart and lung machine.'

I hope that this does not portend bad news.  17 months ago I had triple bypass heart surgery and, after 7 hours on the table, I awoke to just some tubes still in me.  I was up & walking, with help, the next day.

Re:  'If you have anything to say to him that you want him to read when he gets out, go ahead and post to this thread.'

Get better, from one old fart to another.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

Please tell Jimmy that my Dad survived a quadruple bypass a decade ago and we only had to bury him last week. He survived 89.5 years, raised 4 children, competed at two Olympics, etc.

Since Jimmy looks younger and healthier than my Dad, we expect him to last even longer. 

• Like 3

Jimmy was one of my JMs in my student days, back in 1975. He helped me learn about the wonders of freefall. We've been fast friends ever since, give or take a couple decades. I will even put him on our prayer list at (Episcopal) church tomorrow. I know Jimmy will be doing all he can to fight his way back. Much love to all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago Wes posted this:

He is still in ICU, but sitting up. Still not able to speak (whispering to communicate). Starting physical therapy this week, he's strong, but will stay in the hospital a little longer. I will post more as soon as I get updates from the family. . . They want to thank everyone for all the thoughts & prayers. . . .Let's keep praying. . . Blue skies everyone!!!

Thanks for the update Wes.

Get better Jimmy, your friends and family love and care about you my friend.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, normiss said:

2 hours ago Wes posted this:

He is still in ICU, but sitting up. Still not able to speak (whispering to communicate). Starting physical therapy this week, he's strong, but will stay in the hospital a little longer. I will post more as soon as I get updates from the family. . . They want to thank everyone for all the thoughts & prayers. . . .Let's keep praying. . . Blue skies everyone!!!

Thanks for the update Wes.

Get better Jimmy, your friends and family love and care about you my friend.

Thanks for the update Mark...

Thinking of you, Jimmy! 

• Like 1

On October 7th, his friend, Brian, posted this on FB:

Update on Jimmy T. I visited with him today , Monday , 10/7/2019. He was sitting up in bed and we were able to converse lightly through his device in his neck . It is challenging and frustrating for him. I've seen him happier , but it was good to see him in an improved state. He is pretty angry right now at his predicament , hopefully this will improve with time. As far as visitors are concerned , I quote, " I don't want to see NOBODY ". He is assuredly on the mend and he is ready to go home right now. ( we just need to find a three mile long feeding tube and I think we rig rig something up for him)

• Like 1

I have an update from Jimmy's daughter (October 19th). She said he is making great progress. He is eating solid food now and his trach is out. He is able to walk with the help of a walker. He is anxious to leave the hospital and go home but he still needs some rehab. They are hoping he can head to rehab next week! :)

• Like 7

Hello  To  ALL.....  Just  checked  in  here,  to  find  this  thread.....Thanks  to  Each  of  your  for  your  posts  and  good  wishes......The  worst  Is  now  Over.  I  was  discharged  on  Oct  20th..
"  They  turnt  me  Loose  "  " said  I  was  Well  "  :D…. And  I  AM.... 

I  had  gone  to  Skydive  The  Falls  on  Saturday  September  14th and  after  a  bit  of  a  wind  hold  it  calmed  down  and  they  started  sending  up  loads.  I  enjoyed  a  Nice  2  way  from  12  grand  with  a  long  time  buddy....The  view  of  Niagara Falls during  the  climb  to altitude  was  Fantastic .  While   Packing  my  rig  afterwards, I  found  it   to Be,   a  bit  of  an  effort..  and  I  had  to  stop  3  times  and  sit  to  rest...…  Hmmmm.  Got  home  that  night  and  was  just  feeling  wrung  out...  No  real  pain,  no   numbness,  but  I  felt  lousy..It  was  around  10  or  11 pm  and Nancy  had  already  gone  to  sleep.  I saw  NO  value  in  waking  her  and  having  her  SIT  in  an  E R  waiting  room, wondering  and  Waiting,,,,  so  I  wrote  her  a  note ,  left  it  where  she  could  Easily  Find  it.  and  said  "  I am  going  to  the  hospital "    Got  there  in a  few  minutes  because  it  is  only  a  couple  of  miles  away.  It  was  NOT  busy  and  they  took  me  in quickly.  They  did  an  EKG  on  me.  and  the  next  thing  I  knew  they  were  calling  for  an  anesthesiologist  AND  a  surgeon  !!  Yikes  !!!!   Well  they  did  a  big  time bypass   on  me ,  had  me  on a  heart  pump  and  a  respirator  throughout...
I  was  out of  it  for  a  few  days...  and  feel  terrible  about  putting  my  FAmily  through  those  first  few  days,  post  Op...
I  got  great  care  from  the  doctors  and  nurses  and  a  few  in particular  were  top  shelf,  in their  encouragement  and  insistance  that  I  "get  UP  and  get  Moving"...  I  was  walking  around  and  improving  each  day,  by  about 2  weeks post  op  and  little  by little  they  removed  the  trach...  and  the  drainage  apparatus  and  the  nasal  feeding  tube  and  got me  back  onto  swallowing  and  a  bit  of  a  sense  of  normalcy...  I  have been  Home  now  for  10  days  or  so,  and  I  am  pain  free  and  no  longer  need  the  walker I  had  been using.  Kind of  glad  we  are  coming  into  the  end of  the year as  I  am  on a  hiatus  from  work  and  will  be  doing  Physical  therapy  and  building  up  my  appetite  the next  few  weeks.  I  lost  22 pounds  and  was  Under  170,  for  the  first  time  since  high  school.....  Anyway  things  are  improving.  I  am  proud  that  I  Did  NOT  ignore  my  sense  of  malaise and instead  sought  medical  care...... I was  told   I  was  getting  close  to  a  cardiac  arrest.....  Follow  your  instincts  my  Friends  No  One  is  bulletproof  and  certain  issues  CAN  sneak  Up  on  us...  I  feel  blessed  that  in  addition  to  Great  Friends  and  Family,  I  also have  a Guardian  Angel  or  Two...  sitting  on  my  shoulders...  Thanks  skymama,,,  for  initiating  this  thread.  I am  glad  that  I checked  in here,,,  to  Find  it.... 
skydive  often,  skydive  safely,  skydive  with  friends  :).   jimmytavino  uspa # 9452   A3914  D12122

• Like 8