2 2
yobnoc

Impeach the MotherF%@KER!

14 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Y'all are living life looking in the rear-view mirror. I am focusing on the present.

Yup, the forces of regression are having a moment. Enjoy it while you can. The backlash is coming up quickly. While you are basking in the glow state houses are falling. Even GA nearly elected a black woman as governor last time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi yobnoc,

While it is not definitive, it is a step in the right direction:  'Most Americans want Trump removed from office'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/20/trump-poll-impeachment-101245

Jerry Baumchen

I think that's still wishful thinking at this point.  From the article:

Fifty-one percent of respondents to the poll want the Senate to convict Trump on the impeachment charges

and ends with,

The margin of error is +/- 3.4 percentage points

Similarly, I have an app called "Vote Spotter."  It posts issues that have been voted on by both chambers, and allows you to enter whether you would vote for or against the bill as described.  I also track how my elected representatives vote on each issue, and allows for emails to my members of congress on each issue (or in general) right from the app.  It also posts polls on occasion. The current once asking whether the president should be removed from office stands at 61% against.  Of course, you have to consider the sampling -- my dad (a Fox Entertainment Channel die-hard who lives his secluded retired life in the forests of northern Michigan) introduced me to it.  Those kinds of polls are definitely not random sampling.  However, on issues that seem to pass or fail generally along party lines, you'll find the agree/disagree at about the same split.  Bills that pass more definitively regardless of party tend to have similar reaction from users. 

• Like 1

(edited)
27 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

and ends with,

Similarly, I have an app called "Vote Spotter."  It posts issues that have been voted on by both chambers, and allows you to enter whether you would vote for or against the bill as described.  I also track how my elected representatives vote on each issue, and allows for emails to my members of congress on each issue (or in general) right from the app.  It also posts polls on occasion. The current once asking whether the president should be removed from office stands at 61% against.  Of course, you have to consider the sampling -- my dad (a Fox Entertainment Channel die-hard who lives his secluded retired life in the forests of northern Michigan) introduced me to it.  Those kinds of polls are definitely not random sampling.  However, on issues that seem to pass or fail generally along party lines, you'll find the agree/disagree at about the same split.  Bills that pass more definitively regardless of party tend to have similar reaction from users. 

I honestly don’t know if anyone can predict if Trump will be re elected.

I doubt he will be removed through the impeachment process, it looks like the Republicans have tied themselves too closely to Trump for that to happen. Although I guess if politically they see that Dems are likely to win and Trump they may cut Trump loose (if there is even time for that now)

Edited by nigel99

6 hours ago, TriGirl said:

and ends with,

Thanks for this post; introducing actual data into the conversation is wonderful. We can all find data to support our allegations; it's evaluating the data that doesn't support them that marks intellectual honesty.

Wendy P.

20 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Y'all are living life looking in the rear-view mirror. I am focusing on the present.

No christian can ever really claim that. All you are always focusing on is that future moment when you think there will be some reckoning at the pearly gates.

While we are watching the impeachment show unfold, I have a question.

What are the values the USA are standing for today.
I don‘t mean the values of a proud, honorable citizen but those set and used by your government.
By the american president, making american policy in the name of the american people.
Especially since America is often inclined to tell other countries how to run their governments.

Playing the devils advocat I would give the following list:
Caution: slight exaggeration from here on and insert the word “allegedly” where legally required.

- cheat

- lie

- steal

- bend the rules to your liking

- killing bad guys without adhering to your own laws

1 hour ago, phantomII said:

While we are watching the impeachment show unfold, I have a question.

What are the values the USA are standing for today.
I don‘t mean the values of a proud, honorable citizen but those set and used by your government.
By the american president, making american policy in the name of the american people.
Especially since America is often inclined to tell other countries how to run their governments.

Playing the devils advocat I would give the following list:
Caution: slight exaggeration from here on and insert the word “allegedly” where legally required.

- cheat

- lie

- steal

- bend the rules to your liking

- killing bad guys without adhering to your own laws

Unfortunately, I'd agree with that. The cult of "the good guy" assumes that the "good guy" is always right, and that therefore what he does extrajudicially is actually in the best interest. It shows a lack of faith in the system, which is what's supposed to protect us.

Yeah, the system is getting more and more complicated, and easier to game because of that. But fix the system, don't just ignore it.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

One great fix IMO would to eliminate the party(s) system.  But, it ain't gonna happen.

Is there a democracy in the world that does not operate on a party system? I can show examples of city and local politics that don't officially have party systems. But the people in them still belong to national parties for the most part.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Is there a democracy in the world that does not operate on a party system?

Hi Ken,

I do not know.  I realize that is only a hope.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  For many years now, here in Oregon, there has been an effort to have open primaries.  The biggest work against this is by the R's & the D's.  ]:)

On 1/16/2020 at 3:39 PM, nigel99 said:

My point is Trump is a moron but it appears that a significant number of Americans like him. No he’s never been presidential but that is the point he sells. 

I would imagine a strong candidate is needed, unless he anti trump sentiment is so strong that ‘anyone will do’, I personally would be in that camp.

37.11% return in my 401K in 2019...I'll take Trump for another 4 years.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

WA and CA have even better open blanket primaries, as I'm sure you know.

Hi Ken,

Since I cannot vote in either state, I pay little attention to them.  Usually, just what comes from the national news, etc.

I do know that CA has the 'high two' in the primaries now.  I quite like that as one option that would be better than what we now have in Oregon.

Jerry Baumchen

8 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Is there a democracy in the world that does not operate on a party system? I can show examples of city and local politics that don't officially have party systems. But the people in them still belong to national parties for the most part.

I thought the Swiss opened all major decisions up as ‘referendums’, largely placing the power in the hands of the people? 

Probably still got a a party system though 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Several parties from . . . 

Hi Ken,

I've been thinking about this some more & I suppose that we will never get rid of the party system.

Therefore, I would just prefer that all offices be non-partisan.  Those who want to run, can.  Each person would merely run under their own name.  No party affiliation allowed on the ballot(s).

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

(edited)
7 hours ago, Channman said:

37.11% return in my 401K in 2019...I'll take Trump for another 4 years.

Question: Which kind of economic system does the USA have?

a) Command economy.

b) Market economy.

If the answer is "a", then the govt does indeed control the economy, and the administration deserves credit.

If the answer is "b", then the govt does not control the economy, and the Trump administration deserves as much credit for the current economy as the Clinton administration deserved for the economic boom of the 1990's. i.e. none. 

Edited by ryoder

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

If the answer is "b", then the govt does not control the economy, and the Trump administration deserves as much credit for the current economy as the Clinton administration deserved for the economic boom of the 1990's. i.e. none. 

I don't totally agree with "none."  Certainly Trump was handed a good and growing economy, but his deficit spending did and does provide some stimulus.  I don't think that he has much to do with the historically low interest rates, which have created a stock bubble since you can't make money on interest investments. Personally, I'm grateful that the market tripled under Obama.  I have about 3.5x what I need in my retirement, assuming that I live until 91 (not likely given family history).