2 2
yobnoc

Impeach the MotherF%@KER!

28 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'll guess he meant the Constitution that says: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 

The Militia definition or the historical misplaced comma discussion? 

12 hours ago, normiss said:

Reminds me of the recent cop chiefs saying they refuse to uphold the law because they disagree with recent laws their state governments have passed into law.

Isn't that what the Mayor is saying?

If NYC is a sanctuary city - that means they are refusing to enforce the law.

28 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

The Militia definition or the historical misplaced comma discussion? 

The Scalia definition. Brent was simply being, literally, clever by half. Scalia's reasoning in Heller, where to make the thing come around right he took a Veg-o-Matic to the text, effectively gave us Second Amendments 2A and 2B. I just think it's plain silly to start using only half the text to make an argument.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

There is talk of 2nd Amendment sanctuary cities in VA now

Counties.  If you'd like the input a person who lives in Virginia, here goes.  The county level politicians in various counties passed referendums that they would support the 2nd Amendment if a state law was in conflict with their local interpretation, various elected sheriffs also voice their support but no bodies who work for the state will be following suit.  This was done ahead of the legislation that had not yet passed and it holds no actual power.  They can't MAKE stores sell bump stocks and silencers and "assault rifles" and they can't protect stores from state legislature if they do.  They can on a local level ignore red flag laws but those are measures that depend on the discretion of law enforcement anyway so local sheriffs are no less empowered to act if it's been reported to them that an individual is a threat to their self or others.

Edited by DJL

1 hour ago, piisfish said:

The well regulated militia part which seems to have been forgotten?

There's nothing about the words "well regulated militia" that is relevant to a modern interpretation.  The 2nd amendment was designed to be as broad as possible so it provides for individual defense, organized defense and basic ownership of arms.  Attempting to re-interpret the original words are an exercise in futility.  The real issue is that there is no law that cannot be amended in the interest of public health and safety.  That's why there are restrictions on ANYTHING that could be used as "arms" - grenades, bazookas, tanks, gases, explosives, machine guns - all examples of things that are severely restricted for personal possession.

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Since they have both been ruled on - it may just be yesterday's news.

Heller case the Supremes said it was not without limitations and there could be restrictions.

My wording is off a bit I'm sure, but IIRC, the registration component was supported, just not a complaint in the case brought to them. Seemed they felt we could apply the "well regulated" portion. Makes sense to me, more so given the absence of any militia.

45 minutes ago, normiss said:

I really think we’re witnessing the fall of America. It's intentional by the republicans in office now.

Ya, they're pissing off the dems so much that when they finally get back the power, their vengeance will destroy us all, including themselves.

Qiuck example.  In hunter safety class they teach us to respect the forest, to pick up trash and what not.  They tell us not to bring attention to the sport. If you make a kill, don't flaunt it. Stop all the mess with the street-side buck poles.  If you're traveling, cover up your kill.

Respect our rights and don't piss people off.  If you act like an asshole flaunting all this shit, it just pisses them off and gives them reason to take action against you.  We don't need that.

But now that's exactly what the right is doing politically, and it pisses ME off. Fucking idiots.  We'll have only ourselves to blame because God knows that the left will never take responsibility for their actions. . .It's up to us, not them.

Edited by Coreece

What makes the liberals so much worse? There certainly wasn’t as much steamrollering on the part of Democrats in the first two years of Obama’s presidency, other than ACA. They pretty much spent the capital on that. 

BTW, I’m not looking to bait you and demolish you, or to try. I’m just not that person (although sometimes I wish I could think of the perfect putdown, but, well, no one really respects that guy). Just as I can’t understand the visceral hatred and fear of Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi, other than as fanned up by conservative media, and the cultural assumption that it’s OK for a guy to be a hard-driving asshole, but a woman just can’t go there. 

Note that I thought Clinton would have been a damaged President from the get-go because of public perception, and because of that didn’t vote for her (in Massachusetts, I’m not deciding for anyone ;), I can really only make a statement at that level). 

Wendy P. 

Edited by wmw999

5 hours ago, normiss said:

I really think we’re witnessing the fall of America. It's intentional by the republicans in office now.

Russia is now flat out attacking our political system, and the republicans are greasing the way.

I don't know you Mark and up until this particular point in time you've always seemed reasonable, but when it comes to Trump you've been a bit dramatic.  The US is not going to "fall" over this.  It's going to be interesting to be sure.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I don't know you Mark and up until this particular point in time you've always seemed reasonable, but when it comes to Trump you've been a bit dramatic.  The US is not going to "fall" over this.  It's going to be interesting to be sure.

Let's just all continue to ignore the facts in front of our faces, pretend nothing is happening, leave the almost 400 bills sitting in the Senate - including the ones meant to protect us from Russian interference in our politics and leadership, and blame each other.

Should work out well.

I have always thought our leadership was reasonable too, politics never bothered me, didn't seem to matter much in day to day life.

The last year, and now the acceleration since the republican led senate gave Trump a golden ticket to crime away, it's getting beyond serious. Ignoring and dismissing our intelligence agencies will prove to have been very dangerous and painful.

We are losing our democracy. But sure, I'm unreasonable, just being dramatic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, normiss said:

Let's just all continue to ignore the facts in front of our faces, pretend nothing is happening, leave the almost 400 bills sitting in the Senate - including the ones meant to protect us from Russian interference in our politics and leadership, and blame each other.

Should work out well.

I have always thought our leadership was reasonable too, politics never bothered me, didn't seem to matter much in day to day life.

The last year, and now the acceleration since the republican led senate gave Trump a golden ticket to crime away, it's getting beyond serious. Ignoring and dismissing our intelligence agencies will prove to have been very dangerous and painful.

We are losing our democracy. But sure, I'm unreasonable, just being dramatic.

I'm pretty sure if you're pointing fingers at who's the bigger threat to out country it would be the Democrats....just my opinion....just as you have yours..

22 minutes ago, Hunterbeav said:

I'm pretty sure if you're pointing fingers at who's the bigger threat to out country it would be the Democrats....just my opinion....just as you have yours..

How so?

They have historically had to repair the major financial damages done to the US economy following the outgoing republican leadership, so I've seen them contribute in a more positive way than current republican leadership. Who is blocking every attempt at doing anything.

1 hour ago, normiss said:

How so?

They have historically had to repair the major financial damages done to the US economy following the outgoing republican leadership, so I've seen them contribute in a more positive way than current republican leadership. Who is blocking every attempt at doing anything.

That's obvious.

With the amount of time being spent on impeachment, and elections. (past present and future), NOTHING is getting done.

Edited by turtlespeed

21 hours ago, wmw999 said:

What makes the liberals so much worse?

I'm not saying that they are,

21 hours ago, wmw999 said:

There certainly wasn’t as much steamrollering on the part of Democrats

Not until the Reps pissed them off enough.  Now they "have to play dirty," and can't be "so politically correct," and can't just "keep up appearances."

Sounds like the the Reps are leading the Dems by the nose.  Just go crazy right-ass extremist as much as possible, and soon enough all the liberals will become moderates. .

On 2/21/2020 at 6:42 AM, Coreece said:

But now that's exactly what the right is doing politically, and it pisses ME off. Fucking idiots.  We'll have only ourselves to blame because God knows that the left will never take responsibility for their actions. . .It's up to us, not them.

You’re hilarious. You’ve just spent a whole post explaining that the hyper partisan right wing dirty tricks are only bad because of some imagined vengeance you think the left might take in future and you think it’s them who can’t take responsibility? 

19 hours ago, Hunterbeav said:

I'll bite, please list out the biggest threats Democrats pose to our country. Just the top 5 would be great.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

You’re hilarious. You’ve just spent a whole post explaining that the hyper partisan right wing dirty tricks are only bad because of some imagined vengeance you think the left might take in future and you think it’s them who can’t take responsibility? 

It seems that he is describing taking a page out of the Alarmists Cookbook(tm).

18 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

That's obvious.

With the amount of time being spent on impeachment, and elections. (past present and future), NOTHING is getting done.

Tell us how many bills passed by the Democratic House are languishing in the do-nothing GOP Senate.

8 hours ago, Coreece said:

Not until the Reps pissed them off enough.  Now they "have to play dirty," and can't be "so politically correct," and can't just "keep up appearances."

You may have heard of what can happen if you bring a knife to a gun fight.