1 1
skydude2000

Difference between PD Valkyrie and Peregrine?

Hi Gang,

Forgive me if this newb-type question has been asked before, I did search. I'm not a swooper, so I don't fly/have never flown either of these wings. Just bored at work, daydreaming about skydiving. All I could find on the PD site about these canopies, is that they're both ultra-high performance comp swooping canopies. But that the Peregrine is a sub-terminal opening canopy, whereas the Valkyrie is designed for high performance comp landings but after terminal or sub-terminal openings?

The Valkyrie is listed as a 7-cell, and the Peregrine is simply listed as cross-braced. I'm not super clear on cross-bracing, is that similar to the Xaos, where the cells are split/divided for more rigidity? If I'm not mistaken, you have to be hand-picked to fly either of these canopies, but can anyone comment on the differences in performance between these two canopies? I'm sure I've just asked a 12-in-one question, lol, but clarification or explanation on any of this would be fantastic! 

Blue skies!!

topspark101 summed it up nice, Valkyrie is like a Leia which is recommended to have around 1500 jumps and bunch of other requirements before jumping one and pd will find you to jump the Peregrine so you cant put in a order as such NZ Aerosports has rough guide lines on experience levels and what you should be jumping

yes the cross-bracing is to make the wing more rigid to handle a higher wing loading. There is a great video on YouTube at a BPA conference on canopy designs ect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK2_yQ_A9Fc

On 9/23/2019 at 9:54 PM, Greekos said:

topspark101 summed it up nice, Valkyrie is like a Leia which is recommended to have around 1500 jumps and bunch of other requirements before jumping one and pd will find you to jump the Peregrine so you cant put in a order as such NZ Aerosports has rough guide lines on experience levels and what you should be jumping

yes the cross-bracing is to make the wing more rigid to handle a higher wing loading. There is a great video on YouTube at a BPA conference on canopy designs ect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK2_yQ_A9Fc

Hey guys,

Sorry, I should have expected that, you can put away your flame-throwers, lol. I know I'm nowhere NEAR qualified to jump either of these canopies, and I'm not looking to trick someone into selling me one or letting me jump them.

That video was great, and almost exactly what I was looking for; I was just hoping he would talk more about the performance of the canopies on the other end of the spectrum, that I'll likely never get to jump; VK, Velocity, Peregrine. Cool stories and maybe videos of how different these wings are to fly, and explanations of HOW they fly differently.

Edited by skydude2000

On 9/28/2019 at 10:13 PM, topspark101 said:

Skydude2000.... no heat thrown your way ! :-)

On a performance scale of 1-10...... 

Peregrine 10/10

Valkyrie hybrid 9/10

Valkyrie zp 8.5/10

Velocity 7.5/10

IMO.

All it takes is time,lots of dedicated canopy jumps and some coaching to get there, inc some serious $$.... ! :-)

I myself would put it rather this way:

Peregrine 20/20

Valkyrie(s) 15/20

Velocity(ies) 12/20

Others 1-11/20

In other words, there's a much bigger step between VK and PI than between VE and VK.