2 2
LouisO

Hurricane to Cool openings

Hi

This is a dual sided question.

Been flying a 2007 Hurricane 170 for about 50 dives or so, love the way it flies, and coming back from long spots, awesome flare. BUT the openings on this thing is always turning, to one side or the other. I do my own pack jobs and have tried everything I can think of.  Any advise PLEASE. It only have about 130 dives on it and is still crackling

OR Is there a 170 square on the market that can give me similar performance and glide ratio than a Hurricane.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Regards

Edited by LouisO
spell

On 9/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, Maddingo said:

It's an elliptic canopy so it is quite normal. Even my Volt turns a lot and it's a semi, also why are you on such big elliptic canopy? How much jumps do you have?

Thanks for the replies,, I have a bit more than 600 dives and I am a oldish heavy boy, 48 at 220 pounds, i am happy with the size and wing loading, would just love to get better consistent openings. Well it is consistent 90 to 180 degrees right

On 9/14/2019 at 6:27 PM, LouisO said:

Hi

Been flying a 2007 Hurricane 170 for about 50 dives or so, love the way it flies, and coming back from long spots, awesome flare. BUT the openings on this thing is always turning, to one side or the other. I do my own pack jobs and have tried everything I can think of.  Any advise PLEASE. It only have about 130 dives on it and is still crackling

OR Is there a 170 square on the market that can give me similar performance and glide ratio than a Hurricane.

Regards

Some (elliptical) canopies are quite "searchy" on openings. They will shake you from side to side, no matter how you pack them. I am not sure there is a lot to do about it. Katanas and Velos are prime examples. I have no experience with Hurricane's, but I am not surprised. If you want to get rid of that I would suggest to change canopies to something less elliptical, or a more modern design with the openings a bit more under control. I can recommend an X-Fire for that. I think that the Echo from FW and the Crossfire 3 are also canopies with great on-heading openings.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:27 PM, LouisO said:

Hi

Regards

I jump Hurricane 120 loaded 1.7. It opens perfectly. I guess it needs to be loaded more,...

I jump a Hurricane 135 at around 1.44.  It opens very well.  I don't do anything special with my packing.  I do tuck the nose in, and I make sure to tuck the stabilizers in right next to the slider, but that's about it.  Although it is a bit more "positive" of an opening than my Crossfire 2, I would say that it is more consistantly on heading too.

Hi,

Not that I have a tremendous amount of experience but my Brand new Volt 185, loaded 1.24 turns at least 90 degrees (usually left) on a lot of the openings, I tried this for a couple of jumps and it seems to work. Again, need to do it many more times to make sure it works but maybe you should try it too.

Hany