airdvr

Climate Change Has been a Routine Scare Tactic Since the 1930s

5 hours ago, DJL said:

I've seen this clip come up from all the right wing people on Facebook.  What's the point?

Point is it's been tried before.  This girl's message wasn't quite as caustic as Greta's.

If you want people to get serious about doing something don't use children to berate them.  As much as you'd like to believe Greta will force change she's already enjoyed her 15 minutes.

56 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Point is it's been tried before.  This girl's message wasn't quite as caustic as Greta's.

If you want people to get serious about doing something don't use children to berate them.  As much as you'd like to believe Greta will force change she's already enjoyed her 15 minutes.

Baloney. There is nothing and no one child or adult who can move some people on this. Greta brought a bunch of attention to herself and to the cause and pissed off a bunch of deniers. So what? You are talking about her. That means you lose on this one, so there.

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Baloney. There is nothing and no one child or adult who can move some people on this. Greta brought a bunch of attention to herself and to the cause and pissed off a bunch of deniers. So what? You are talking about her. That means you lose on this one, so there.

Ken, I'm no denier and she pissed off me. Scolding adults in the brash, insulting way she did at the UN was out of line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Ken, I'm no denier and she pissed off me. Scolding adults in the brash, insulting way she did at the UN was out of line.

Maybe so. But you gotta admit that scowling face of hers makes a great meme! Poor adults, they must have been shocked, totally shocked I say! If I wasn't afraid of getting into trouble I'd say she needs a spanking from her mommy.

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Maybe so. But you gotta admit that scowling face of hers makes a great meme! Poor adults, they must have been shocked, totally shocked I say! If I wasn't afraid of getting into trouble I'd say she needs a spanking from her mommy.

I get it that she has a certain good fortune that allows her green escapade. But, considering that she sailed here as a passenger on a professionally crewed $5 Million dollar IMOCA Class 60 racing yacht I definitely find the whole sailing here because airplane travel is so polluting schtick somewhat galling. Again, I'm no denier but to me this was definitely a case of right church, wrong pew.

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I get it that she has a certain good fortune that allows her green escapade. But, considering that she sailed here as a passenger on a professionally crewed $5 Million dollar IMOCA Class 60 racing yacht I definitely find the whole sailing here because airplane travel is so polluting schtick somewhat galling. Again, I'm no denier but to me this was definitely a case of right church, wrong pew.

And that "schtick" has got so much airtime that wouldn't have been the case if she'd just flown in and out, that she wins again.

14 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Oh, I can find many flaws in the whole media event that she pulled off. But hey, that's show biz. No doubt there was a P.T. Barnum behind her pulling strings too.

Every anti Greta post on social media, every bullying Facebook meme and every bullying Tweet incrementally increases her winning score. The right wingers lost big time on this. They should have ignored her but, like Trump, they couldn’t help themselves. 

29 minutes ago, DJL said:

[Dramatic Music]

30 years ago we had Severn Suzuki....

Then we had Greta Thunberg

Now.

I present

Whatever the fuck THIS is:

".....our Swedish Professor saying...." I understand why the Maldivians are freaking out over climate change, but the Swedes? I forgave them for giving us IKEA but a flow of deranged energizer bunnies ain't gonna cut it.

23 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Or the glaciers? (you know they have glaciers in Sweden, right?)

we were in Peru a few weeks ago and I found out there are glaciers there also. Then I get home and see a short blurb in our local paper saying they expect the glaciers in Peru to be gone within 2 decades.

I guess I should be glad we got to see them before they are gone. :(

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

So people in Sweden shouldn't care about the Maldives? 

Or the Great Barrier Reef?

Or the glaciers? (you know they have glaciers in Sweden, right?)

Yes, it's an issue of global concern. But considering the Maldives are scheduled to be in the first round to go I would be less surprised if they were doing the screaming. Of course with over a third of their economy dependent on burning fossil fuels they are in a bit of a tight spot.

7 hours ago, Rick said:

we were in Peru a few weeks ago and I found out there are glaciers there also. Then I get home and see a short blurb in our local paper saying they expect the glaciers in Peru to be gone within 2 decades.

I guess I should be glad we got to see them before they are gone. :(

We saw glaciers in Chile and Argentina a while back. 

The Patagonian glaciers are disappearing faster than most.