1 1
fskyaddicted

Need help picking rig / chute / suit

Question

I and a friend working at Apknite just finished my AFP program and are looking for any type of help picking gear as there are so many options, it's overwhelming. We trained on a 210 chute and plan on staying with belly flying for a while. We are really not even sure where to start on obtaining the right gear for me. If you have any advice let us hear it! We plan on buying new but also open to buying used.
Please help a rookie out!

1 answer to this question

Is there a gear store at your dz?  Is it staffed with jumpers?  That is a great place to start.  If there isn't one at your dz, you can contact one or more of the "big guys" (Square One, Chuting Star, etc).  Usually the salespeople are experienced skydivers and can definitely help you figure out what gear might work well for you. Most have used gear available as well.

Your instructors, local riggers and other highly experienced jumpers can be great resources for getting this sort of information.  Just be aware that most jumpers will tell you that what they jump is the best of the best - which it may be for them but might not be for you.  

And then there's the internet. There are a lot of threads here that discuss what you are asking about; do a search or ten (there's a lot of info and opinions here).  Every manufacturer has a website.  A few of the big dealers have excellent basic gear selection information on their websites.  Take some time to check them all out.

Now for my opinions (I used to sell gear so I do know a little bit about selecting it).

Used vs new - Jumpsuits are best ordered new; it will be made to your measurements (and in your favorite colors too!).  Used containers, AADs and canopies will save you money and get gear in your hands faster than ordering new (delivery times range from a few weeks to a few months depending on the manufacturer).   The biggest thing with used containers is to be sure the harness fits your body before making the sale final.  Have any used gear item inspected by a local rigger to be sure it is both airworthy and what the seller advertised.  It's a good idea to stick with gear that is less than 15 -20-ish years old unless you are really broke. 

Jumpsuits - Look around the dz and see what jumpsuits other belly fliers are wearing.  Talk to them about what they like and don't like about their suits.  Order through a dealer or direct from the manufacturer. They will be able to tell you which of their suits will work best for your body shape and size. 

Containers - Again, look around the dz and ask other jumpers what they like/don't like about theirs.  imho you really can't go wrong with any modern container - they all do what you want them to do.  Some have available options that others don't and some of those options might be important to you.  This is where researching the various containers online can be really helpful. Order through a dealer or direct from the manufacturer (some manufacturers only sell through dealers). 

Canopies - You need to figure out what sizes you want/need first.  A good rule of thumb for new jumpers is to size your canopies so you are at about a 1.0 - 1.1 wingloading - ie your exit weight is close in numbers to your canopy size. For example, I'm 150 out the door and I jump a 150 sq ft canopy, which is a 1.0 wingloading. If I downsize to a 135, I'd be at a 1.1 wingloading. The lower the wingloading, the more docile the canopy will be - docile is good when you are still learning the basics.  A few good main canopies for new jumpers are the Spectre, Sabre2, Pilot and Safire (there are others out there, these are just a few of the more popular ones).   Reserve sizing should be much the same.  Which reserve isn't that big of a deal as long as it is not too small for your experience; they will all do what you want them to do. Again, order through a dealer or manufacturer.

AAD - Pick one.  They all work. 

Congrats on getting off student status!  Now the real fun begins. 

• Like 1