mr2mk1g

It's all getting a bit mental over this side of the pond

Prime Minister found by a court to have lied to the Queen

Parliament's been shut down against its will

PM vowing to break the law

Only been in office a couple of weeks and lost all 6 votes in Parliament

Documents leaked proving the government's lied to the public numerous times

Ministers refusing to uphold the rule of law and saying judges are biased

Documents published by the government saying worst case scenario is there's going to be food shortages, water outages, power shortages, medicine shortages etc etc etc

Leaked copy of same document isn't titled worst case but "base case"

Redacted paragraph from document on leaked document says there's also going to be fuel shortages

Government refusing to release documents that parliament passed a law requiring their release

Supreme court case coming up next week to determine if PM has acted in violation of the constitution

May we all live in interesting times

Edited by mr2mk1g

All because of a populist referendum with Russian backing, with a 1.9% margin over 50% of VOTERS.  I capitalize "voters" because with a turnout of 72.2% of the electorate that means that at 51.9% it only had the support of 37.5% of the UK as the remainder either voted against it or were not inspired to vote at all.

How in the blue fuck did something so momentous get decided upon with only 37.5% of the country actually willing to show up and vote for it.

Edited by DJL

1 hour ago, DJL said:

All because of a populist referendum with Russian backing, with a 1.9% margin over 50% of VOTERS.  I capitalize "voters" because with a turnout of 72.2% of the electorate that means that at 51.9% it only had the support of 37.5% of the UK as the remainder either voted against it or were not inspired to vote at all.

How in the blue fuck did something so momentous get decided upon with only 37.5% of the country actually willing to show up and vote for it.

Welcome to AmeriKKKa. Oh. Wait. We're not quite there.

YET.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:42 PM, mr2mk1g said:

...Parliament's been shut down against its will

PM vowing to break the law

Only been in office a couple of weeks and lost all 6 votes in Parliament

Government refusing to release documents that parliament passed a law requiring their release

And who remembers the Leave campaign arguments?

i-need-the-mosusovereign-parliament-couh

1 hour ago, mr2mk1g said:

It gets better. Apparently the real worst case scenario in the governments assessment apparently includes rationing of food, energy and fuel and the imposition of martial law.

Happy days for Putin and Jinping.  They can just sit back and watch the UK collapse.

11 minutes ago, mr2mk1g said:

Martial law? I mean, what fucking government knowing takes a path towards the need to impose martial law?

Serious question, how much of all of this is hyperbole? 

I will admit that prior to the vote I would have voted to exit, largely because back then I held a different belief about globalisation. My views have changed largely due to Trump and the USA isolationist agenda and I would now vote against Brexit.

i don’t know if it’s possible to turn back the clock for the UK? 

Hyperbole? They're the government's official assessments of what is likely to happen in the event of a hard Brexit. 

We have Operation Yellowhammer, which the government said was old, outdated, superseded and in any event the worst case scenario.  But it turns out they were lying and it's dated August and it's not the worst case scenario, it's their assessment of what the most likely outcome is. They released a copy to the public headed 'worst case' and the Scottish government (pro remain) promptly said "funny, the copy you sent us says 'base case', here public, see our copy".

They can't even lie competently. Never mind the doctoring of documents! Apparently you can even track the changes in the meta data on the files they released, though I'm not tech savvy enough to confirm. This isn't the British government, this is specifically the Johnson administration. The civil service union wrote to him yesterday warning him not to make their members break the law. Unprecedented.

Then we have operation Black Swan, which really is their worst case scenario assessment and includes imposition of fucking martial law. That's the government's own assessment, not hyperbole. Yes it's their worst case scenario but who in their right mind goes on to walk down that path having assessed that as a risk?

3 hours ago, mr2mk1g said:

Hyperbole? They're the government's official assessments of what is likely to happen in the event of a hard Brexit. 

We have Operation Yellowhammer, which the government said was old, outdated, superseded and in any event the worst case scenario.  But it turns out they were lying and it's dated August and it's not the worst case scenario, it's their assessment of what the most likely outcome is. They released a copy to the public headed 'worst case' and the Scottish government (pro remain) promptly said "funny, the copy you sent us says 'base case', here public, see our copy".

They can't even lie competently. Never mind the doctoring of documents! Apparently you can even track the changes in the meta data on the files they released, though I'm not tech savvy enough to confirm. This isn't the British government, this is specifically the Johnson administration. The civil service union wrote to him yesterday warning him not to make their members break the law. Unprecedented.

Then we have operation Black Swan, which really is their worst case scenario assessment and includes imposition of fucking martial law. That's the government's own assessment, not hyperbole. Yes it's their worst case scenario but who in their right mind goes on to walk down that path having assessed that as a risk?

Ok thanks

On 9/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, jakee said:

If only there had been some kind of recent precedent to show what happens when you make a populist TV personality the leader of your countryxD

Yeah wouldn't that have been a thing?? :/

My favourite moment recently was Leo Varadkar schooling Boris and his "Classical education" with the Athena comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/09/leo-varadkar-athena-hercules-boris-johnson-why

56 minutes ago, mr2mk1g said:

And the verdict is in, in a most unimaginably vivid way.  Boris Johnson acted unlawfully - parliament has not been closed.  He surely has to resign now, though I fear he will not.

He should be taken into the House Of Commons toilet and be given a swirly at the very least.

2 hours ago, ScottishJohn said:

He should be taken into the House Of Commons toilet and be given a swirly at the very least.

I'd love to see a deepfake of the swirly scene from "The Big Lebowski" with Boris's face on Jeff Bridges!xD

• Like 1