1 1
yobnoc

Ban Vaping?

5 hours ago, yobnoc said:

You're right in the specific analogy you gave.  The problem is that it isn't analogous to e-cigs.  There is zero (really - zero) evidence that there is any adverse pulmonary or general health effects from e-cigarettes.

Well, except for the people who have been sickened and killed by them, of course.

42 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yes!  I think you see my point.

Plain logic say's that worse news about vaping will soon come. But, just as everyone who sprays Roundup doesn't become a statistic nor will every Vaper suffer harm, in their lifetimes. In the meantime let's encourage all smokers to do whatever it takes, short of voting Republican, to get off their smokes. And that means supporting them even if we don't like the solution.

13 hours ago, billvon said:

I think you see my point.

I see that your point had nothing to do with what I've actually said.

Nobody said that nicotine e-cigs were safe because they are completely different than THC vaping.

But what does nicotine e-cig flavoring have to do with Vitamin E acetate used in THC vaping that has been linked to the illness/deaths?

12 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Plain logic say's that worse news about vaping will soon come.

Indeed.  New York is the first state to ban e-cig flavorings because of the deaths linked to something entirely different.

Now kids have creative license to experiment with their own flavoring chemicals and techniques to create a entirely new problem that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Coreece said:

New York is the first state to ban e-cig flavorings because of the deaths linked to something entirely different.

This is incorrect. The jurisdictions that are banning, or working toward banning flavoured vape juice are not confused about the cause of those recent deaths. They are banning favours to lessen the appeal to children. The same reason flavoured cigs are being banned. 

13 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
19 minutes ago, Coreece said:

New York is the first state to ban e-cig flavorings because of the deaths linked to something entirely different.

This is incorrect. The jurisdictions that are banning, or working toward banning flavoured vape juice are not confused about the cause of those recent deaths. They are banning favours to lessen the appeal to children.

That's been the idea for awhile, but it's rather obvious that the recent scare due to THC vaping is being used as an excuse for these emergency executive orders dictating a temporary ban.

Now kids can experiment with their own flavoring chemicals and techniques to create a entirely new problem that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

21 minutes ago, Coreece said:

That's been the idea for awhile, but it's rather obvious that the recent scare due to THC vaping is being used as an excuse for these emergency executive orders dictating a temporary ban.

Now kids can experiment with their own flavoring chemicals and techniques to create a entirely new problem that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

The recent deaths have drawn attention to vaping. They may have been an impetus, but they are not an "excuse". Your use of that word is just your way of denigrating regulations that you are philosophically opposed to. Your scare mongering that it will lead to more damage through experimentation is ridiculous.

5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Your scare mongering that it will lead to more damage through experimentation is ridiculous.

Just because vaping products with flavoring agents are banned doesn't mean that the flavoring agents used in those products are banned, otherwise your processed truck-stop food might taste a bit more bland.

I think many might be ignorant of the DIY nature within the vaping culture that will now grow even faster because of this.

Edited by Coreece

54 minutes ago, Coreece said:

otherwise your processed truck-stop food might taste a bit more bland.

I NEVER eat at truck stops. I have a fridge with a freezer and a type of slow cooker. I eat large amounts of fresh fruit and I tend to cook frozen vegetables. I brew my own coffee. The only reason to even pull into a truck stop is to get fuel. I only sleep at them if I'm in an unfamiliar area and I can't find a quieter place. The vaping culture will not go away, but it can be regulated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Cover story in Sept. 30/19 edition of Time. About how vaping has been marketed to addict kids to nicotine.

https://time.com/magazine/

Interesting that it references the sicknesses and deaths but says nothing about about the chemicals used in some THC vaporizers (not nicotine e-cigs) that have been linked to those same sicknesses and deaths.

the Trump Administration said it planned to pull from the market flavored e-cigarettes such as Juul’s mango, creme and mint pods. In the Oval Office, with First Lady Melania at his side, President Trump said, “We can’t allow people to get sick. And we can’t have our youth be so affected.” He added that the First Lady, who tweeted a warning about vaping, feels “very, very strongly” about the issue because of their teenage son Barron.

Again, no mention about the THC vaporizing chemicals linked to those sicknesses, but it is somewhat satisfying to watch some liberals slurp up Trump's vomit when it suits their own bias.

Juul also went to schools and developed classroom curriculums, both ostensibly meant to educate kids about healthy lifestyles and nicotine addiction. But kids who participated in these programs remember them differently. Meredith Berkman’s son Caleb Mintz, now 17, testified before Congress in July that a Juul representative visited his ninth-grade classroom in 2017 and told the students that–though Juul didn’t want them s customers–its product was “totally safe.” Mintz told Congress that his classmates left the meeting more likely to vape, “because now they thought it was just a flavor device that didn’t have any harmful substances in it.”

Easy solution there: don't let pushers of addictive substances into your schools to educate kids about their products - you gotta be fucking kidding me.

In the end tho, it's just another example of the Streisand Effect, and so it will be with this banning as well.

This year Juul launched a $10 million-plus television ad campaign featuring testimonials from adult users.

I'm somewhat torn on this.  I'm in advertising so I understand the long-term effects/influence our ads can have on children even if they aren't directly targeted.  I've had a rather lucrative opportunity to promote e-cigs, and I declined - but a the same time, I can see the benefits such ads can have on adult smokers.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:37 PM, billvon said:
On 9/11/2019 at 11:07 PM, Coreece said:

All ads target kids someway some how.

No, they don't.

Perhaps "target" was the wrong word, but they are certainly influenced/effected by ads targeted toward adults, especially since that's what they hope to be someday.  Adults that buy into these ads further influence the minds of their children, practically ensuring generations of brand loyalty.

There's a reason that scripts are geared toward an eighth-grade reading level, and tho that reason isn't necessarily meant to target children, they are nonetheless influenced by it.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Interesting that it references the sicknesses and deaths but says nothing about about the chemicals used in some THC vaporizers (not nicotine e-cigs) that have been linked to those same sicknesses and deaths.

I agree that media in general have been talking a lot about those deaths and not enough about the suspected cause and it's link to unlicensed THC products. It probably doesn't help that health authorities seem unable to make a conclusive conclusion, but enough hints and vague statements have been made that anyone paying attention should understand by now. 

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

the CDC and the media keep hinting but are not saying that ordinary commercial products may be responsible for some of the illnesses.

Yes, there are packaged THC vaping solutions in legal marijuana dispensaries that contain that Vitamin E acetate that we were talking about.  People can also buy dilutants online that they then mix with their THC concentrates for use in a modified vaporizer.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, gowlerk said:

And again on the same topic it's more than a little frustrating that the CDC and the media keep hinting but are not saying that ordinary commercial products may be responsible for some of the illnesses.

That's really all they can say at this point.  There is clearly a risk.  It is likely that there is a risk in specific preparations.  There may be other risks.  A lot more work needs to be done.

Well, the CEO of Juul resigned. The company has indicated that they won't fight any bans or ad bans or any other regulation.

And, of course, the ambulance chasers are chomping at the bit.
There are already ads out on TV (same outfits as the mesothemiloma & Round Up commercials).

https://www.napolilaw.com/practice-areas/juul-vaping-lawsuit-attorneys/

(edited)

A Canadian lawyer just announced that he is launching a class-action law-suit against e-cigarette manufacturer Juul.

I call this another bogus, class-action law-suit.

Today’s (Wednesday, October 2, 2019) Star Metro Vancouver newspaper includes a large photo on the front page and two pages of text inside ..... but barely mentions that only one man - in Quebec - has been diagnosed with lung disease specifically-related to e-cigarettes.

Canadian mass-media have largely ignored the National Public Radio (USA) story linking the five deaths in Illinois and Michigan with black-market e-cigarettes containing THC and vitamin E acetate. Who knows where those black-market e-cigarettes were manufactured?????  When vitamin E acetate condenses in lungs, it creates medical problems.

This is another example of mass-media assisting fear-mongering politicians to gain more control.

Disclaimer: I never had a tobacco habit and quit ingesting THC years ago, but I am outraged by the shallow coverage typically published by mass-media.

I refuse to name the lawyer for the same reasons that I refuse to name the racist asshole who shot up the mosque in New Zealand.

Edited by riggerrob
Add a sentence