jclalor

The “Gig economy”

Personally, I think this is the worst idea to hit this country since child labor. Between Amazon, Uber, Uber eats and their like, the millions of recently created jobs come with no vacation, holidays, sick pay, medical, or even workman’s comp.

Amazon gig drivers are now regularly killing several people a month on the roads while trying to complete their ridiculous quotas so people can have same day or one day delivery.

Who pays for these folks medical? The American tax payer. Jeff Bezos evidently doesn’t make enough to pay for a portion of the medical for the majority of his workers.

You can never go broke betting against the intelligence of the average American worker.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

If your options are "no work" and "gig work" - the intelligent worker probably takes the gig work.

There’s plenty of “real work”, the lowest unemployment rate in decades.

The unintelligent chose the option that defers the true cost of their labor until months and years later. They go buy a new $30,000 car and put 100,000 miles on it in a couple of years.

Many people I know that drive for Uber drive 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, they try and tell me they make $25 an hour,  yet conveniently forget they have operating cost, just like Uber neglects to mention operating cost when it claims its drivers make good money.

Edited by jclalor
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, jclalor said:

There’s plenty of “real work”, the lowest unemployment rate in decades.

The unintelligent chose the option that defers the true cost of their labor until months and years later. They go buy a new $30,000 car and put 100,000 miles on it in a couple of years.

Many people I know that drive for Uber drive 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, they try and tell me they make $25 an hour,  yet conveniently forget they have operating cost, just like Uber neglects to mention operating cost when it claims its drivers make good money.

The perception of ones own power and independence is vastly greater when sitting in the Captains Chair of your own Starship Uber than when wearing a striped hat and passing a Double Whopper out a window to people who actually are having it their way. For a lot of  people, the actual yield per hour delta isn't a consideration that gets weighted above personal freedom. They might argue it's about $X an hour but it's not because the numbers aren't there. From an understanding of human nature perspective, the ride hailing business models are simply brilliant.  Nearly half of American workers make $15 an hour or less so it stands to reason that a large chunk of the 270 million cars on Americas roads belong to people who are often desperate for some extra money. The genius of it is the same genius of telemarketing: the realization that your build out is already in place, your liability to maintain it is zero and it comes fully paid for and ready to go. Pretty sweet.