1 1
Tango Kilo

Equipment regulations and restrictions on accuracy landings

Question

Hello everybody , I was wondering if there are any restrictions on sport accuracy competitions about the canopies the jumpers are flying. For example is it possible for someone to fly a base canopy competing a parfoil canopy and a 9cell ZP canopy. I just read the competition manual and it only refers on the classes of the skydivers and not the equipment the are using ! Thanks in advance 

1 answer to this question

Few regulations, but you will score the best at classic precision landings with a large, specialized accuracy canopy like a Para-Foil, Eiff or PD Zero. Specialized PL canopies are usually low aspect ratio, 7-cells with huge stabilizers, keels, flares, vents, etc. The low aspect ratio reduces heading changes near the stall. Low wing-loading reduces the number of broken bones when you stall vertically onto the tuffet.

By large, I mean wing-loading in the 0.7 pounds per square foot range. Suspended weight includes your body, plus helmet, clothes, harness, canopies, etc.

Your second best choice is a large BASE canopy.

Third choice is a large, 9-cell ZP canopy like those jumped by students.

If you try to jump a small, 9-cell, ZP canopy at a serious accuracy competition, judges will politely suggest that you enter the sport accuracy category.

With practice, any canopy can be landed, consistently within a metre of target centre, but faster canopies require far more practice. I earned my CSPA Exhibition Jump rating on a Stiletto 135.