1 1
Vitek

AFF vs Wind tunnel Arch

Hi, I have done 3 jumps out of plane. My arching wasn't worst but needed more improvements for stability. 

So I have book AFF wind tunnel, and they have tough me to arch differently. 

DZ tells me to keep hands wide apart, bent in elbows at 90 degrees. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/SjKJAp6K43ALAJKY8

Wind tunnel tells me to keep my hands closer, slightly bent and relaxed. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/vwGDPZsMySHFu58v5

I find my self more relaxed and stable in wind tunnel position.

So which tip should I do on my next jump?

Edited by Vitek

i tried learning to fly on my own through static line course years ago and never did learn until i went to the tunnel this year.  if you are doing aff, listen to your instructors rather than random people on the internet like me.  having said that, when your instructors let go, they want you to fly flat and stable.  ask them before you jump if you can try what you learned in the tunnel, and go through it on the ground first with them.  again, don't listen to anything anyone has to say here or anywhere else without asking your instructors.  oh, before i forget, did i mention to not listen to anyone but your instructors?  kind of important at your stage.

Hey Vitek,

There is a difference between wind tunnel arches for first time fliers, and for those looking to progress through to AFF. Also bear in mind the level/knowledge of the instructor at the tunnel, some have no skydiving experience, while some will have considerable experience. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that some instructors wont teach wind tunnel students how to do AFF arches and skills that will benefit you in the air (such as repetition/muscle memory of looking at your left wrist where your alti sits etc) unless you say you are doing AFF. 

I'm not sure which tunnel you go to in the UK, but next time ask them/tell them you are an AFF student. And see if they modify how you are flying. What ever you do, good luck!      

• Like 1

The tunnel people want your hands further forward so you can prevent yourself from smacking into the wall, both by having your hands get there first, and by the backwards pressure it exerts.

In AFF, we want your arms further back, thumbs roughly aligned with your earhole, because for most people it's more stable, and you get better leverage for turns.

Every time I get an AFF student with prior tunnel time, the first thing I ask is "What does this mean?" holding up my index finger.  If they say "Chin up / Look up", I slap them silly* until they forget and learn that it means pull.  I don't know who the dumbass is that came up with tunnel signals, but that is the number one most important signal in AFF, and it's a huge disservice to teach it as anything else in such a closely related "sport".

* No I don't actually slap them, and it would be a proxy slap because the tunnel signal inventor isn't known (to me) and available to slap.

While body position is important, its worth nothing if you are stiff. So it is more important to relax (in a certain position of course, not to fall asleep) and let the wind create symmetry, and not your muscles. After that, the real position of your arms is not important any more, and you could fly perfectly with your hands on your back.

Actually altitude awareness is far more important.

The reality is wind tunnels, and those working at the wind tunnels are financially incentivized and invested in creating tunnel rats. They are not there to create skydivers just as skydivers aren’t incentivized to create tunnel rats. 

Tunnels can certainly help skydivers, but skydivers don’t need windtunnels in order to skydive. What did we do before windtunnels were invented?  There are many skills like tracking for instance that she will never learn in a wind tunnel. And what about all of the canopy experience? It’s worth noting that very few skydivers die in freefall. You could certainly argue that canopy and traffic skills are far more important than freefall skills. 

• Like 1