Papa Golf

Any Advice plz??

41 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

Have fun and don't die. :)

or

Don't Panic

or

seriously, don't worry too much. you will be very nervous in the door, but once you leave the plane, it won't feel too different than the tandem ride, so relax and follow the plan for the dive.

Hey!! Thx for the answer. And how much is this experience is different from the tandem ?? It'll definitely be more scary I think :D but is it also more fun ?? Cuz I think it should be :D

I am not the one to ask about how it will feel, as I have never done a tandem and never done an AFF jump either. (I learned via static line method) You say the instructors will be watching you, but they will also be holding on to you as well, maybe until they are sure you are falling stable, but I don't know exactly what is planned for your next jump. But I can confidently say your next jump will be more fun than a tandem, because it is new and different. Flying your parachute will be all you of course, and that is cool too.

After the first few solo jumps you will start working on maneuvers like turns, moving "up" and "down" and forward and backward. That is where the fun really starts to come in. 

The feeling I got when I was going up for my first "solo" jump (AFF with 2 instructors holding onto you the whole time until canopy deployment) was that everything in my brain was firing telling me "You don't have to do this; pick a different hobby."  That kicked in at about 10k on the way up.  I forced myself into a kind of robot mode, telling myself to just remember to do the things they told me to do in ground school.  Do three practice touches, do your circle of awareness, do it again, do it again, 6k: lock your eyes on your altimeter, 5500: pull.  You will be nervous, no doubt.  It's way different than the feeling before a tandem.  Incomparably different.  And you will fail at some point during your AFF.  It's not easy to make it through.  Most people get discouraged and quit, or they realize that it's just not that exciting for them and they quit.  The reward of staying with it and the new community you become a part of is well...it can't be matched.  Just remember: when you fail a jump, you still will learn something valuable that you'll take with you as long as you stay with it.  I've been at it a little over a year, and have 126 jumps in my log book.  I'm still a rookie; I still suck at skydiving.  But it's ok.  It's a journey. 

Let us know how it goes.  Blue skies!

On 9/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, yobnoc said:

The feeling I got when I was going up for my first "solo" jump (AFF with 2 instructors holding onto you the whole time until canopy deployment) was that everything in my brain was firing telling me "You don't have to do this; pick a different hobby."  That kicked in at about 10k on the way up....  I'm still a rookie; I still suck at skydiving.  But it's ok.  It's a journey. 

Let us know how it goes.  Blue skies!

Edited by nealkas
Can't figure out how to add my post to this excellent post!

Papa Gold, I only have 3 IAD jumps, totally appreciate what you are going through.

Especially the internal dialogue. "We're doing this again? What's wrong with learning to crochet as a hobby?"

Now I'm finding I'm nervous in the airplane until the door opens. Then I'm good. Maybe I don't like airplanes? ;-)

Your instructors are well trained. Listen to the training.

Focus on them.

You'll be fine.