2 2
jrodrod

DJI Osmo Action

My friend jumps with one, send me a PM with your email adress and I can send you a link to a raw file of one jump so you can make your own judgment how it works in freefall. I think the stabilisation is sick but it gets confused sometimes and quality is not as good as a Go pro. As long as it doesnt crash as often as GP7 it seems like it will be a good conteder.

Lukasz what do you mean by quality is not as good as a gopro? Just not as good as GP7, or worse than a GP4?

Can stabilization be disabled for wider FOV? Is it any good in freefall without stabilization?

How is battery life compared to recent gopros?

Doesn't crash as often as GP7, or is it really reliable?

Can you plug it in a smart TV as a mass storage device via USB, and playback the jump using the TV media player?

P.S. looking to buy and use it for tandem camera, aff and fun as well, 400-500 jumps/year.

@dani31 I personally was using it during the last season. Answers to your questions are:

Lukasz what do you mean by quality is not as good as a gopro? Just not as good as GP7, or worse than a GP4?

It has a wider dynamic range and slightly more flat color profile than GP7/GP8. I think it gives more possibilities during footage postproduction, but at the same time, RAW video file from the camera looks duller than compared to the GP. I wouldn't say that quality it's worse than GP7 or GP8, differences are really minor.

Can stabilization be disabled for wider FOV? Is it any good in freefall without stabilization?

Yes, stabilization can be disabled for a wider FOV. Without stabilization, it's as good as any other camera without stabilization :)

How is battery life compared to recent gopros?

I'd say the same or slightly better.

Doesn't crash as often as GP7, or is it really reliable?

I'd say it's more reliable than any GP. From my personal experience, it didn't crash even once - however, I did not use mobile app.

Can you plug it in a smart TV as a mass storage device via USB, and playback the jump using the TV media player?

Don't know if you can plug it directly via USB (be aware, that it's USB-C plug), but you can output the video to a smart tv via DJI mimo app.

P.S. looking to buy and use it for tandem camera, aff and fun as well, 400-500 jumps/year.

Video files are noticeably heavier than in GoPro (up 30-40%).

This video might interest you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVBhlkp5EQU

On 3/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, file said:

Did anyone upgrade to DJI Action 2 for handycam? 

I use it for funjumps. Very happy. The camera shoot flawlessly. Internal memory is more than enough for a couple of days. It was around 55 percent of the charge left of the main block after 5 jumps( 2.7K and I filmed only freefall. No under canopy ride). So possibly last for the whole jumping day. Especially like the strong Vibro function for on/off. And obviously no overheating problem at 14K feet). Here are some shot test clips.

Helmet_BW.jpg